Getting into reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by willieb1989, Jan 26, 2010.

1. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

hello everyone, i am thinking about getting into reloading and i want to get some more peoples opinion on the Lee Classic Turret press. And what all i need to also get to start reloading and where i would get the stuff for best quality and price for powder and primers and bullets for a .308. If someone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I just got started about 3 months ago. I would suggest getting the lee classic 50th anniversary starter kit. its definatley priced right. Its a single stage press which i wasnt wild about but now i know what to do i am fine with it. Also if you are just gonna reload a couple hundred .308 thats all you need. First of all go pick up a couple of reloading books. Lyman is a great starter, Then maybe a spear and nosler is a great addition. I also picked up an rcbs reloading dvd which really helped out. When you read the books and get your kit and start its great to referance u tube. Hope that helps! Enjoy its a lot of fun.
  3. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

Thankyou, my friend has the single stage reloading press and it just seems like it would be annoying to have to change the die all the time. I will be reloading 30-30's and 8mm once i get started and know what im doing.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    I REALLY SUGGEST B-4 BUYING ANY THING ELSE YOU PURCHASE A LYMAN RELOADING MANUEL.THE MANUEL GIVES YOU STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO RELOAD.I WILL ALSO SUGGEST YOU START WITH A SINGLE STAGE PRESS I HAVE HAD NUMEROUS PROGRESSIVE PRESSES AND WENT BACK TO SINGLE STAGE.I THINK I HAVE A BETTER ROUND AND ITS MORE UNIFORM IN ALL WAYS TO PROGRESSIVE.I KNOW OTHERS WILL DISAGREE BUT THATS THEIR PRIVLEDGE.THINGS YOU NEED?I USE MOSTLY LEE PRODUCTS BECAUSE THEY ARE A GOOD VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY AND EASY TO USE.IF YOU ARE REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT RELOADING THEN SEND ME A PERSONEL MESSAGE WITH YOUR TEL # AND ILL CALL YOU OLD SEMPERFI
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

you would be surprised you really dont switch dies out that often. Imo a turrent press if for loading a ton of handgun or .223 that you are firing a crap load of. I was surprised how fast i reloaded all my cartridges. and the first one i reloaded was the .308
  6. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

Ok cool thanks everyone so much. I really appreciate all the help and advice. I think you guys made me switch to the single stage. But i don't like the idea of having to manually put the powder in. Like the 4 stage when the press goes up the powder goes in. doesn't this slow down the process?
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

When loading single stage, as the manuals will show you, you work in 'batches'. You deprime/prime 50 rounds. Then you put a powder charge in those 50 cases. Then you switch dies to set a bullet in those 50, switch dies and then crimp.

Most folks figure about 50 rounds per hour on a single stage, 150-200 per hour using a turret, several hundred per hour using a progressive.
  8. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

Ok cool, is this a good book to get Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition?
  9. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

Also where is the best place to get the powder and bullet and primers?
  10. army mp

army mp Member

Willie not jumping on you but it sounds like you want to pump out a bunch of rounds in a big hurry. With most guys that’s not the case with rifle rounds. The idea with rifle ammo is not how many you can pump out. but the quality of what you are producing. Progressive presses are great for pistol. But then most of it is close range work. I have a progressive press but still load all my Rifle and that includes. 223, 270, 3030, 308, and 3006 on a single stage press. And the progressive press I have is the Hornady LNL. Some progressive presses will not work at all for Rifle rounds. If you are just looking for a large lot of Ammo. It may be a better Idea to just pick up Surplus at a Gun show. Reloading is not for everyone. Its something you have to have a passion for. A lot of guys go out. And buy a bunch of reloading equipment only to sell it latter. I hope you do give it a try. It’s a lot of fun if you get into it.
  11. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

I really just want good bullets im going to start with the lee single stage press and see how i like it. A few of my friends load and really enjoy it so i really wanna give it a try. Thanks for the info.
  12. army mp

army mp Member

Good luck be safe and have fun. The Lyman 49th is a great book to start with. But I would also find the powder and bullet you are going to load. And get there Manual as well. I have the Hornady Manual. As well as many others. But I shoot a lot of there Bullets. They are about the cheapest. good grade bullet out there.
  13. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

How do i find out how much and what kind of powder and bullet and primers to use?
  14. army mp

army mp Member

All that will be in your manual . The hardest part today is finding the components in some Areas.. I have a Savage 223. It took a lot of experimenting to get just the right Bullet to powder ratio. Everyone has there pet loads but what works great for me. may not be the best load for your rifle.
  15. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Just buy the book and give it a couple of reads. also i really recomend the rcbs dvd. It helped me understand what all was involed. The book will give you all needed parts... primer powder etc. get at least two books.
  16. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

thanks so much again everyone. Really appreciate it so much. I ordered my book now i gotta wait for it to come. Thanks again.
  17. mikld

mikld Active Member

Learning to adjust dies correctly will greatly improve your troubleshooting (failure to chamber is usually misadjused dies). Besides, it only takes about a minute to set up a die. I highly recommend your first purchase be "The ABCs of Reloading". If your problem ain't covered there then post your question here...
  18. RandyP

RandyP Member

while you are waiting for the manual, check out the great Lee help vidoes and also search youtube for reloading, hours of good watching await you.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

To the mods - a couple stickies on this beginner common thread would be pretty handy?
  19. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

yeah i've watched almost everyone of those videos. Thanks everyone for help i ordered my book today and just ordered my press. Im so pumped.
  20. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF and reloading ! While you're waiting, why not ask to borrow a manual from one of your friends, read it and then see if you can get some hands on with their press. Would be well worth it to do before shelling out the $$ on a press of your own.

Semper Fi and Good Luck,

Woolley