The Firearms Forum banner

getting into shooting.

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  jack404 
#1 ·
hi, I have been thinking of getting back into shooting and figured I would start off with the only rifle I have ever shot. The last time this rifle was shot was approxatmly 20 years ago by me and my father. This rifle is my dads but he has lent it to me to use. The barrel has the following stamped on it: sears mod 5m 22 win. mag. sears roebuck and co. made in usa mod no 273.2350. also found on the under side is b748112 and it has a weaver marksman 3x -9x scope. I do hope to have some fun with it but would like to know what I need to know before shooting it.

here are a couple pics of it too.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
G'day and Welcome!!!

nice rifles them , made by winchester for sears they where very popular here

a gent in victoria where lever guns are still legal tells me parts are still available for them and i know he does well with his fox shooting

thats stated its been parked in that box a while so

step 1 get the diagram and pull it down a bit ( see pic below )
2 inspect for rust and other troubles throughout

3 use a pull through and clean both the bore and the tube mag ( folks forget the tubes)

4 inspect bore for pits or other fouling and clean if needed

5 oil and lube well then load and cycle a few rounds and inspect the ammo that comes out for any knocks or nicks

if all that is ok

i'd take it out where you can shoot , set up the rifle and fire one off

cycle the rifle again and inspect the spent case , if all that is ok

go for it

enjoy !!

oh if anything is not as you hope ( spots in the bore , nicks in ammo stiff operating lever etc ) do get a pro gunsmith to take a look

#3 · (Edited)
First the gun looks in beautiful shape, do you by any chance have an owner's manual, might have instructions on maintenance.

Second it looks a lot like my Winchester 290 .22 semi, no lever I bought new around 1966. Sears did buy from Winchester among others back then.

I'd do a nice complete check over and cleaning before loading and firing, make sure it's in safe working order.

I'll leave that and more info up to our real experts here.

edit, I see our friend Jack beat me to it while I was typing..... ;)

#7 ·
Nice rifle, but I'm also impressed with that case. I've never seen a case like that. Thanks for posting the pics.

#10 ·
Lovely rifle and you should shoot it but do yourself a big favor and get one in 22LR and shoot it till you become a real live genuine, 'you know you are going to hit what you are shooting at', marksman. The premium price on 22 mag ammo will soon pay for a new 22LR rifle just in extra costs. Get good first then play with the 22 mag.

#14 ·
OMG Please do not shoot that rifle. I'm sure it will be dangerous. Wrap it up in the pictured case and send it to me immediatly. Seriously. (NOT REALLY)

What is serious is that is a beautiful weapon and case. Follow Jacks instructions and ENJOY!!!!.

I am envious. Please post reports of your range trips and tell us how things are going.

Looking forward to your posts.

Fred

PS Just to make sure you understand, my first sentence is in jest!!!!! Listen to the others on this site and enjoy shooting your gun.

#17 ·
after looking at prices for ammo yea i think i will do what old grump said. now to find a decent 22lr rifle :)
You can find a decent .22 for under $150 very easily. What state are you located in? There's often local forums and take a look at the LGS if you have one available.

#19 ·
Beautiful!! if you intend to shoot it much be aware the ejector will wear out before any other part. had a .22lr like that and wore out 2 ejectors! But was a sweet shooter!! Lots of tree rats put on table with it!!

#20 ·
I know i'm new here, but here goes my first post. depending on what kind of shooting you want to do will depend on the type or which rifle to get if you just want to have fun plinking a nice pump that will shoot .22 shorts. i use a rossi modle 62. ($185) When im out with my girls, we just use there crickets. ($95) each and great guns they are awsome for teaching and first rifles.darn acuret allso. When I want to go for distance and acurasy. i use my CZ 452 ($385) and damb tight groops. best shooting .22 i have ever found straight out of the box under $1,000. right up ther with Olimpic match rifles.
Well thats my $.25 worth just my exp. and opinion. hope it helps.

And yes i know my spelling sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.