Getting into Sporting clays/Trap

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Andy80, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

Hey guys new to the site. I am getting into sporting clays and I had a question about a shotgun that I have. My father in law gave me a Remington Sportsman 58 Magnum and Im wondering how this gun would work for clays or trap shooting. Ive been trying to do some research and it looks like there may be some reliability issues with shooting the gun that much? Any info would be great. Awesome website. Thanks in advance.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome to the forums Andy80

These where the first gas operated ones with a manual gas ajustor, some folks who set these incorrectly did damage to them and caused the issues you have mentioned , like any abused gun their operation suffers but a good one is just that

a well thought of gun if used correctly

considering the last ones where made in 1963 ( 56-63) they are aging and you may wish something newer, but if you adjust the gas to suit the loads you use and its not previously been abused it should be a fine gun for you
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

Thanks,i probably will go with something newer if I really end up enjoying it. I really don't have a ton of money to throw at it right now. Is it possible to get a decent auto for under a grand. Don't know much about them or what to get for that matter
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum Andy there are a number of trap and skeet shooters on here i am sure they will be along to help
  5. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

Hello Andy, I enjoyed this page for tips on trap shooting specifically: http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/dundee pic/dscnc.trap.shooting.tips.htm

and I do not know much about your specific firearm so I can't comment on the reliability. But in regards to spending big bucks on a shotgun, when it comes to trap, I think the tool doesn't matter much. I can shoot nearly perfect rounds (23 or 24) with my LEO Remington 870 while guys shooting thousand dollar guns don't do so hot. Now sporting clays may be another story, I can't help you much there but I know the firearm certainly matters more when shooting sporting clays as opposed to trap.

Hope I helped at least a little bit.

edit: I think the link is broken. If you just Google search "Trap shooting tips", the dundee sportsman's clubs should be the first hit.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

bobski where r u
  7. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Andy;

Good mod 1100 are available in either 20 ga or 12 ga for any and all trap, SC or skeet shooting and for much less than half of the grand you mentioned. Look at some of the used gun sights as quality, nearly new condition shotguns are quite plentiful. Of course that is only one model but you mentioned a semi-auto and those are particularly popular and very good for such shooting.

I shoot a Browning 525 sporting clays with 30" barrels, with tubes for my skeet normally, but often use my 1100s in 12 or 20 for practice as well as for some competitions and I also have a Beretta, Tecknys gold 20 Ga semi that is a beautiful gun to shoot in all venues. I normally shoot 20 ga for the 12 and the 20 ga competitions. I only shoot my 12 ga for doubles.

It is usually the autos or the double guns mostly O/U doubles that are used in the clay sports due to the short time available for shooting the double throws. Some people still use pump guns but not many for this reason.

It is not necessary to spend a lot of money to get a good, reliable gun to enjoy clays. And as already pointed out, expensive guns do not champions make. Even my Browning is not expensive by comparison. but I am able to shoot four gauges with one gun buy using the Briley tubes, 12, 20, 28 and 410 and have won a world championship in the 410 bore as a 63 year old "novice". (who can be a novice at ANYTHING at age 63):eek:

In 2006 it was my very first year of shooting skeet and I had never shot clays at all until that year, and as I understand I am the oldest novice in the NSSA record book.:D

Anyway to your question look for a good semi in either 12 or 20 and if you are careful you can find one that will accept the screw-in choke tubes which will be critical if you find yourself shooting different venues such as trap, then sporting clays and then go to a skeet field, all will require you to change to different chokes for better results. Screw out your full choke or modified and screw in a skeet choke or improved cyl etc.

Hope this helps a little.

UF
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

you go uncle
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Fudd which shotgun do u favor
  10. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Beth

I have to say that I still favor the 870 but old rodeo injuries have made it very difficult for me to get a second round if it is necessary, quickly so I have pretty much retired it except for shooting ravens and crows and grey digger squirrels around the place with single shots.

I really like to shoot the 1100s for skeet and SC. They or the mossbergs are light and very easy to swing and seem to me to have almost a natural point that is out of the box comfortable and quick to become accurate. They also seem to absorb some of the recoil and noise and many of the women that I have instructed are very comfortable with these guns very quickly. Noise and recoil are very critical for women at least in the beginning. Women have an inherent fear of loud noise, (you are born with it) and the autos seem to tame some of the noise, whether it is actually true or just a mental adjustment is for someone with a much higher pay grade than mine. But I can tell you after 35 plus years of instructing, I have found this to be true with the semi auto shotguns so I now use them even more than before.

For serious competition I use the OU browning every time with whatever tubes are called for in the specific gauge.

Hope this helps and answers your questions.

UF
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

1100 is that mossberg
  12. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Beth
    the 1100 is Remington I believe the Mossbergs are a 900 series such as the 930 all purpose but they are not as well equipped or as popular as the Rems.

If given a choice or helping others to choose it is very difficult to get far away from the Remington in any of the pump or auto shotguns even though I have the 590 Mossberg for home defense.

For clays and even for hunting, if choosing an auto or pump my choice then and now would always be the Remington line

UF
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thanks Fudd
  14. bobski

bobski Former Guest

ok, here i am.
    rem 58. prone to cracks in the receiver behind the bolt handle from shooting heavy loads set on light load setting. stay away from heavy loads. bolt carriers prone to cracking, rendering the gun a one shot. clean it and inspect it daily for wear.
    it was the precurser to the 878, which in turn became the improved 1100.
    depending on what the choke is in the 58, it will be a fine s.c. and skeet gun. not so good a trap gun.
    hope it helps.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  15. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I shot the gun at the range yesterday and it seemed to function fairly well. One round wouldnt eject but after that no problems with ejecting rounds. It seemed to cycle well when the chamber was loaded and two in the mag, but it didnt want to cycle a shot into the chamber from manually racking it. Excuse my lack of terms or knowledge when it comes to shotguns, I am pretty green still. How can I tell what kind of choke the gun has? Man it sure does bring a smile to my face when shooting it. I thought pistols were fun. For now Im going to try this gun out, but the 1100 seems like a good starting point for me. One of the guys I work with showed me a reciept for the new trap gun he just bought yesterday. $7400, I believe it was a Kohler.
  16. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey bobski did you let Andy know about the shoot in MO?

Welcome to the forum Andy.
  17. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Greetings Andy, as you are finding out, shotgun sports get expensive rather quickly. I have shot skeet & trap with my "hunting guns" ranging from a sweet 16 to a ithica 600 in 20 ga. I had fun but have been regularly out done by the old guys with the correct or dedicated guns for the sport. If you actually want to make a buy on a skeet & trap gun to shoot with the "regulars" in the sport you can spend a bunch of money very very quickly.

Yes, you can shoot clay with a hunting shotgun; you will not likely set a course record, but it is fun.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Stoeger condor line of o/u shotguns; lots of features and little price. Not only is this gun a good quality piece, but it is a nice starter skeet/trap gun that will help the shooter much more than your Remington.

Have fun.
  18. bobski

bobski Former Guest

no. i cue on those that list states they live in.
    58 loading problems are caused by a worn carrier/trigger group. as the cheap parts wear, the timing goes out of whack. i use to get notices on these problems via the gunsmith guild.
    sounds like it may be getting at the end of its life.