1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Getting my first handgun tomorrow

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Bertgamble2001, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Bert, I might add this advice as I always do to anyone that is new to self defense
    using a firearm, whether alone or joined by their family members:
    Personally, I believe more than one gun should be had. Some people are not
    comfortable with a pistol. One of my friends' wife could not get used to practicing
    with a handgun, she fought with him, complained mostly about the 'flip' when fired,
    but was still completely all for learning. After getting her a pump shotgun with a pistol
    grip, she was an instant natural ! I love a 12ga pump more than anything else for
    home defense, period, end of story, BUT you can't wear it on your hip or keep it in
    your purse. I honestly don't believe anyone on this planet would not know WHAT that sound was when that gun is racked. In the dark confronting an intruder, even if you had no more ammo, I would bet a pump shotgun being racked would still be effective.
    Just a thought for when you grow your collection.
    P.S. Some of my female friends are truly a 'Rambo' with a handgun BTW.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Bert , everytime you point your gun at someone the likelyhood of a fatality is likely,no matter what ammo you used, get used to it , wrap your mind around it or get rid of your gun and buy some mace.
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I don't want to beat a dead horse here or be rude, but I want to point out that your comment above (in bold font) is illogical. You are saying you want an ammo that will inflict a one shot stop that isn't lethal or offers the greatest opportunity for survivability.

If you want to stop an assailant with one shot, by neccessity it needs to be one which will likely result in death. In other words, the ammo that will require the fewest shots is the most lethal. In fact there is only one guaranteed one stop shot. That is one that is placed from about the nose down to the throat that severs the cerebral cortex.

Another is one to the heart which is approximately the center of the chest. But even if a round totally destroys the heart a BG can still maintain the motor ability to pull a trigger for up to 15 seconds. That's a long time.

The ammo you choose is secondary to a well placed shot which is why practice is so important.
  4. Bertgamble2001

Bertgamble2001 New Member

I would like to thank all of you for your thoughtfull advice. I have read and understand all of the opinions and have selected The Winchester Supreme Elite as my defensive round. I have shot a box and they cycle well through the gun.

Unless there are objections, I will consider this horse not only dead, but also turned into glue and being used to stick stuff together as we speak.

Thanks again
    Bert
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Oops, da horse woke up.....sorry.
    Bert, I hope you and your wife have a sh**load of fun with this new endeavor.
    As you engage in training for a useful tool, I wish more that you both find the
    time you spend together more enjoyable than a task. Please keep us posted.
  6. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I carry Hydra-shoks in my .45. Haven't had to shoot a person (hopefully won't have to) but I have shot a variety of other targets with them. Them really seem to perform well. Ranger Talons are wicked as well.
  7. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

He chose well. The horse exists now in memory. I keep my puny little Glock 9mm's loaded with something different than what he has, but that doesn't matter much. They are new age designer cartridges, just like Johnny Law carries.
    What does matter now is training and mindset. He has told us that training is in the works. Kudos to him.
    If the thread is to carry on, we might advise him about tried and proven methods of keeping his firearm ready at night, in the car, and on his person. Or, we could just wait for him to ask about things that he wants to know....
  8. Bertgamble2001

Bertgamble2001 New Member

Thanks for the post Regular Joe.
    I would in fact like some advice on having it ready at night (I currently keep it in my safe on the nightstand, unloaded but with loaded mags next to it).

I can't yet keep it in my car or on my person, but hope to be able to soon.

It should also be noted that I have bought a Kimber Custom CDP II that I can hardly wait to pick up.

I need to find out how to field strip it and avoid the "Idiot mark" when I put it back together.
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

BINGO.....you'll love the Kimber. And now the obsessive acquisition of firearms disease takes over. Don't fight it, just enjoy. I also guarantee that you'll enjoy reloading. It's my personal "stress-buster" at the end of the day.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  10. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Hey Bert! It's been a few months since you got your piece. How are things working out?