getting ready to load some pistol.. have been doing rifle...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jul 9, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

OK, have been reloading bottlenecked rifle cartridges, and now am going to work up some straight wall rifle/pistol and some pistol loads.

probably work on 30 crbine and 38spl.. both of those I have pistol / rifle applications for.

will also be loading 9mm.

Anything I need to know? I realize the pistol die sets have an extra step vs the regular basic 2 die sets from my bottle neck rifle dies..

also.. most of my cases are brass.. though some are nickle coated..

any difference in reloading nickle plated brass? I assume after a few tumblings and fireings it will start to thin and wear off.

i've also heard that straightwall pistol cartridges don't 'grow' as much as bottleneck rifle and thus don't need trimmed as much.

comments?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never ever trimmed a straight walled case at all.

As far as the nickle plated brass goes, you will find that they will wear out a lot quicker than the straight brass ones. There is no difference in the loading process. The plated will crack and split so you will end up throwing most of it away after a few loadings.

What powder are you going to be using? Just curious.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

All of what's stated above with the addition that you'll find the 30 carbine will take a lot more force on the press handle to resize than normal straight walled pistol brass.
  4. soundguy

thanks for the info.. I have a rock chucker supreme press so the rtesize force should be ok. I sume it likely won't be more than some of the large rifle cases i've done?

for powder I was thinking of something like universal, tightgroup.. or win 231

probably 231 for sure and maybee pickup one of the other 2 to try.....

soundguy
  5. gdmoody

Win 231 is a good choice for the 9mm and the .38, but not the .30 carbine. Titegroup will work with some bullet weights in the .38 but with none in the 9mm or .30 carbine. I personally use H110 in the carbine rounds, it will work with any bullet weight, as can 2400, which I have never used I also use the H110 in .44 Magnum.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, 110 or 296 (same powder, uses the same data, but one might be cheaper where you buy) is good for 30.

Do not use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on 30 carbine, if you are going to shoot it in a pistol. Voice of experience here. This makes the mouth smaller, and it sits deeper in the chamber.

Some of the case is actually in the "bullet part" of the cylinder's chamber. When you fire, it can't move, but the rest of the case works nomally, expanding and moving backwards, in the process ripping that 32nd of an inch of case mouth off and sending it down the barrel with the bullet.

[​IMG]

Didn't have this happen, shooting them in a carbine, but in the blackhawk it did. Glad Ruger builds a strong gun, 'cause that probably doubled the pressures.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, I suppose that, possibly, the extractor held them in the correct position, in the rifle, so they could not sit too deeply.

Glad I only loaded ten of those (I was checking a load).
  8. soundguy

the pistol I have that is chambered for 30carbine is an amt automagIII so a semi-auto..
  9. soundguy

i see imr 4227 listed under rifle/30carb and see hodgdon H4227 listed under pistol/30carb.

Just looking online at the win/imr site.

I hadn't really thought about segregating my loads as to rifle / pistol. when i buy commercial 30carb.. i have been fireing in both rifle and pistol.

Am i to understand that when handloading I will need to actually make different laods for the 2 different guns ?? that's gonna get difficult to keep segregated.. ... hmmm..

powder selection around here is limited. can't find h110 anywhere.. or w296 or 2400.

I CAN get imr 4227.

comments?
  10. gdmoody

No, you don't have to load different for rifle and pistol. I don't have a .30 carbine pistol, but when I load for my .44 Magnum Carbine and .44 Magnum pistol, I just look at the manual to find a load that is comparable for both and load that one. I have to load up the .44s a little hotter than I like but have to, to operate the carbine slide.
  11. soundguy

what about autocomp... i can get that locally as well..
  12. soundguy

looking at the charts.. seems like h110 and h4227 load lots of stuff.. .. and I can't find either of them locally.. figures!
  13. gdmoody

????What is autocomp??????? Never heard of it, is it a powder?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  14. gdmoody

H110 is a widely used powder, why can't you find it locally?? Where do you live?
  15. soundguy

winchester powder..
  16. soundguy

the lil n. central fl town I have has 1 gunshop that never has powder.. but will order powder.. so they say.. but have never done so., a walmart that stocks varget, imr 4064, 4350 and that's it.., and a shop north of town that on occasion has some 4227 autocomp and 231.. and that's it... anything else I have I have either had to get at a show or order$$
  17. gdmoody

I just looked up autocomp. This is what the Winchester site says about it (copy and pasted):

AUTOCOMP is extremely fine in the 38 Super, 9mm, 45 ACP and 40 S&W race guns. It’s just the perfect burning speed to feed the compensators with a higher volume of gas. With AUTOCOMP competitors get off faster shots with minimal muzzle flash, it’s a winner.

Now that doesn't say anything about .30 carbine. I don't exactly know what a race gun is but I don't think I own one of them!! I do use that web site to get loads for CFE-223 powder. When I put in the information for .30 carbine it showed ONLY H110 and H4227 loads.
  18. gdmoody

It it were me, I would get the Win 231 and use it in the 9mm and .38s and kind of wait until I could get hold of some 110 before I messed with the .30 carbine. I wish I could send you some of it because I am going over to my local shop tomorrow to get some CFE-223 and H110.

What part of North central Florida? I just got back from a visit with family in Gadsden County (Quincy).
  19. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

20. gdmoody

I didn't know that is what you called them and I don't see anything practical about any of them.