GHOST PATROL AT KHE SANH

Discussion in 'The VMBB True Story Tellers' started by rooter, Feb 25, 2013.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    After Action Report:

1968…The “Ghost Patrol” Khe Sanh… A patrol of two squads from 3rd Platoon 1/26 led by Lt. Don Jacques left the Khe Sanh Combat Base at 08:00 on 25 February 1968. The patrol was caught in an ambush as they entered the tree line outside the base. Casualties were 9 dead, 10 seriously wounded, and 19 missing.

Remembering on 25 Feb. 2013

DELTA2ALPHA

02-26-04

In the early morning of 25 Feb 68,the third platoon,of Bravo Company,1/26 Marines consisting of 41 personal left Khe Sanh Combat Base to locate and silence an enemy mortar position Southeast of the base.Approx.700 meters outside the wire, contact was made with a superior force,with devastating results.These brave Marines put up an execeptional fight to extract their dead and wounded from the overwelming ambush.Relief forces from the base were repeled by extreme enemy small arms and supporting weapons.Many Marines did not return that day..

OUR BRAVE RIFLES

LCPL RON AKINS
    PFC MIKE BABTISTE
    PFC JOE BATTLE
    LCPL FRED BILLINGHAM
    PFC MIKE BRELLENTHIN
    PFC JIM BRUDER
    CPL KEN CLAIRE
    PFC DOYLE CLAY
    LCPL JERRY DODSON
    LCPL CHUCK GELLER
    LCPL PHIL HAYES
    2/LT DON JACQUES
    LCPL BRUCE JONES
    PFC MIKE LADEROUTE
    PFC JOHN LASSITER
    SSGT GEORGE McCLELLAND
    PFC HANK McDONALD
    LCPL DICK McKENZIE
    PFC KIM MEADS
    HN LLOYD MOORE
    PFC ARNOLD RIVERA
    PFC WILLIE RUFF
    PFC DAVE SCARBROUGH
    PFC WALT SKINNER
    PFC DOUG SMITH
    PFC CLAY THEYERL
    CPL DON WHITAKER

On 30 Mar 68, an attempt was made to recover the bodies of our brothers.This was again repulsed with a further loss of 10 KIA.
    Finally,on 6 APR 68, Delta Co. along with one platoon of Bravo Co. assaulted the trenchline,and destroyed the enemy position and recovered the remains of our Marines.We take care of our own, no matter what!!

Please take a moment to honor these brave Marines. I do every day and mostly at this time of the year.

SEMPER FI..Mike
    D 1/26
  2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

3. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

PFC. Donald R. Rash received the Navy Cross for his actions that day. He was recommended for the Medal of Honor. His Heroism of that day makes some of todays awards pale in comparison. Read his citation and see if you agree. I Honor and Salute you friend,jarhead and Hero and the other jarheads of B 1/26.;););)
  4. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

My mistake, dates get lost over time. Donald was KIA on 3-30-1968. He was a member of B 1/26.:confused::(:confused::(:eek:;)
  5. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

I went to see Donald's twin brother Ronald yesterday. I gave him a pack of cigarettes in Memory,Honor and Gratitude for his brothers actions in trying to rescue his fellow Marines. I meant to give a pack of smokes to Donald 46 yrs ago at P.I. but never got the chance. Ronald told me that Donald was recommend for the MOH but it was downgraded to the Navy Cross. He says it was because a Colonel went against orders not to send any personnel outside the perimeter. I don't know the facts but from reading the citation for the Navy Cross, it appears to me that Donald's actions were most deserving of the MOH. I salute my friend,fellow Marine and a true HERO.:(:confused::(:confused::(:confused:
  6. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    What a wonderful way to observe Memorial Day, Redhand!!! These type of stories and memories must be shared...Thanks...Chief