Ghost Soldiers

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

RGRWJB
    (12/29/01 11:36:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Ghost Soldiers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just got done reading a new book out "Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides. Its the true story of the U.S. Army 6th Ranger Bn. during WWII planning and executing the raid on the Cabanatuan Japanese POW camp. These prisoners were the survivors of the Bataan death march. It’s a typical ranger operation and makes good reading.

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/30/01 7:10:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ghost Soldiers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello and welcome RGRWJB, thanks for the info.
    Be sure to visit, post and reply as often as you wish

Xracer
    (12/30/01 9:45:42 am)
    Hi RGRWJB....welcome to TFF and particularly the History Forum. If you're into Military Arms/Military History, this is the place to be! We've got a lotta people who really know there stuff around here.

polishshooter
    (12/30/01 8:45:32 pm)
    Welcome RG...

Yeah it's a good book, isn't it?

We had a thread a while back that discussed it, it is a GREAT book...I liked the part where the P-61 does the aerobatics over the camp as a diversion, to make all the guards look up...so the rangers can crawl over the open ground unseen in the daylight...and it worked...and the prisoners thought it was something out of "Buck Rogers..."

We welcome ANYBODY interested in Mil History, fell free to argue, discuss, or try us out on trivia, we have some real hard core history guys here, as well as the "part-timers..."

We get some GREAT discussions here...we have WWII, Korean, and Vietnam vets, History Majors, current military, armchair historians, weapons nuts, people that just like to read, and even experts from obscure latin American border wars to Hollywood stars pre-talkies! (No, wait, that's the SAME GUY! )

We encourage ANYONE to participate...and if you ask me, this is the best forum here, IMHO...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/30/01 9:24:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Welcome RGRWJB
    Welcome to the site. I've not had a chance to read ghost soldiers yet.

I am envious of you, Seattle is a great place to be. It is a beautiful city, big enough but not to big. And you have some of the most gorgeous country in the world nearby.

This is a great site not to crowded. We could use some more military history buffs.

RGRWJB
    (1/1/02 12:29:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Welcome RGRWJB
    Thanks for the friendly welcome guys!

I'm heading up to meet Ranger (Capt) Bob Prince, the assault team leader of that raid. He is pictured in the book Ghost Soldiers. He lives in the Seattle area. I am going to take another Ranger with me. Being a fellow Rangers we will all have a good time and do some push-ups for the big Ranger in the Sky.

Have a Happy New Year

RGR WJB

Mosin Nagants of the Worldpub55.ezboard.com/fcollec...s35625frm2

Swiss Rifle Forum
    pub55.ezboard.com/fcollec...s35625frm1

Xracer
    (1/1/02 9:38:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Welcome RGRWJB
    Hey Polish.....he's a Mosin Nagent nut too!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/1/02 11:59:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Welcome Aboard RGRWJB!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

JohnRTal
    (1/1/02 1:06:37 pm)
    Gentlemen(?),
    I have just started 'Ghost Soldiers' and perhaps one of you might know the answer to the following:
    I recently watch on either the History Channel/Discovery Channel, a program called the 'Alamo Scouts', If my memory serves me correctly this was the same story. I believe in the fracas they had sent along 2 combat photographers and most of the program was actual combat footage and interviews with some of the soldiers involved on this mission. Edge of the seat informative. Does my memory serve me correctly, this is the same event-just a different title? Thanks for your time. ol' John in Hondo.

kdub01
    (1/2/02 10:32:45 pm)
    JRT -

Is that "Hondo" as in texas, or "Hondo" as in New Mexico?

JohnRTal
    (1/3/02 12:18:24 pm)
    Hondo as in TEXAS!!!!!! About 40 miles west of San Antonio. We are supposed to have mild winters here, but it was down to 17.8 degrees by my thermometer and the official temp as reported was 17 degrees. OK--THATS ENOUGH OF THAT!!!!!! Its time for better weather!!!!!

RGRWJB
    (1/4/02 10:34:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    A day with Bob prince.

I just spent about 3 hours with Ranger Capt. Bob Prince the Assault team leader of the POW raid from the book Ghost Soldiers. He was a great guy and told me some great stories that was not in the book. He won the DSC and not the Silver Star as stated in the book. I took my picture with him and in the greatest Ranger tradition I gave him a Ranger Tab. He signed his picture in the book for me.
    I'm sure I will be back again for another talk. A hell of a great guy and Ranger.

Mosin Nagants of the World
    pub55.ezboard.com/fcollec...s35625frm2

Swiss Rifle Forum
    pub55.ezboard.com/fcollec...s35625frm1

Edited by: RGRWJB at: 1/4/02 10:38:30 pm

JohnRTal
    (1/6/02 2:22:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re:GHOST SOLDIERS/ALAMO SCOUTS **TV TONITE**
    Fox News Channel on Cable/Satellite is going to air a program on this subject at, I believe, 7pm Central time hosted by Oliver North. This could be a **must see** for us WWII history buffs. Interviews with POW's and participants in the rescue.