Ghurkas in Afghanistan....

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/3/01 8:49:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Ghurkas in Afghanistan....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did you see those training pics of the Brit units that "just happened" to be "exercising" in Oman?

SAS and Ghurkas...said they will both be used in Afghanistan...

If I was a Taliban, I'd be keeping an eye on my "family jewels..."

I don't care HOW motivated a mujahideen may be, the Ghurkas aren't scared by ANYBODY or ANYTHING.

And those Kukris ain't just for show, either...
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

WyomingSwede
    (10/3/01 11:08:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ghurkas in Afghanistan....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Throw in a couple seal teams and you will have a nasty mixture. I have heard from some buddies in the know that there is a lot more going on in the afghan north than what is being covered by the media.
    Even pictures of those gurka knives give me the heebie-jeebies. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

Zigzag2
    (10/4/01 4:52:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ghurkas in Afghanistan....
    "WE" have to go in and "KICK ASS" PEROID
    No Holds Barred
    Those bastards will be dug-in using surplus armaments. We need to show our superiority like we did in Iraq and bring them to their F'in knees.
    This is NOT a Holy war, this is the worlds war against TERRORISM.

Dayum, I feel all better

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 10/4/01 5:56:00 pm

kdubaz
    (10/4/01 5:49:35 pm)
    What Ziggy said - Yeah!!!!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
    (10/5/01 9:41:28 pm)
    You know, if you think about it, this whole coalition is pretty unthinkable only a few years ago...even MORE wild than the one against Saddam...

I mean I thought I saw it all, with Green Beanies riding and directing Syrian T-72s in battle...Marines and Qataris fighting side by side for Kofji, Saudi F-15s flying cover for USAF F-16s...

We could very well see US 10th Infantry units deploy from Uzbekistan with Russian Spetznatz "Advisors..."

I wouldn't doubt even with Russian engineers, heck THEY laid half the mines...

And when the Northern Alliance takes that abandoned Russian airbase and we rebuild it for a forward base, it will be WIERD seeing 16s and Blackhawks taking off with the wrecked MIGs and SUs in the background...

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/6/01 12:28:13 am)
    I was stationed in Ft. Drum in the 10th Mtn Div. on two tours in the late 80's and early 90's. Wish I was still with them.
    Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/6/01 1:17:21 am)
    Ghurkas, those are some scary cats. I am confident that tha Taliban is sh*t*ng thier collective pants.

polishshooter
    (10/6/01 9:53:50 am)
    Betcha Bob Dole is pretty darn proud...he was wounded with the 10th Mountain in Italy as a shavetail Lt.

Ordered his men to leave him to die in the minefield he led them into, covered by MG42s, so nobody else got it...

...they didn't.

Have they been deployed since WWII/Korea? Not sure if they were in 'Nam...

polishshooter
    (10/26/01 9:10:57 pm)
    I was reading a while ago about the Ghurkas in the Falklands...the Argentines had pinned down some Brit Infantry, until the Ghurkas with them came "over the top" waving the kukris...and the entire Argentine unit surrendered like NOW.

Those South American lover boys just KNEW what would be cut off first, you think?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

warpig883
    (10/27/01 5:23:54 am)
    The 10th Mtn. was deactivated after WWII sometime and reactivated in 198?. They are a light infantry division. Capabable of airlifting the entire divisiond and all equipment to anywhere whithin 72 hrs or something like that. Stationed at Ft. Drum, New York. Very beautiful northern New York. It is the place to be if you like 3 feet of snow in March.

I was first with the 10th in 1988. Ft. Drum was a old Nat. Guard training base. All buildings and facilities were WWII vintage. The Army (taxpayers) built a whole new base there in the late 80's to early 90's. It was truly a sight to see. Everything was new from the Front Gate to the Back Gate. Every building, barracks,headquarters,motorpool, aircraft hangars,enlisted and officer housing. All building are heated by a huge central heat plant. They got a mountain of coal and there are always coal trains coming to add more.It was like watching a whole city built from scratch. I remember some civilian workers were doing something to a huge walk in freezer at the Officers Club. They pickaxed a huge ball of ice out of the corner and rolled it outside. It was like 4 eet be 4 feet. inside it turned out the be a couple hams. Figured they had been there since the 40's or 50's or something.
    I am not happy unless I am miserable