GI45 getting new sights

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by doug66, Jun 16, 2011.

1. doug66

doug66 New Member

Shipped my SA GI45 off to SA's custom shop yesterday to be fitted with their "mil-spec" 3 dots. $75 installed and includes shipping back to me. Have had this gun for 5 plus years and sights are my only complaint. Hate to ship my stuff, but the price is right. Kinda excited, needed to share...:)
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Those GI sights are awfully small. I don't understand why anyone would want to purchase a GI model if they intend to shoot the pistol as they usually end up changing to better sights. And who buys a new 1911 they don't intend to shoot. :D I understand wanting a piece of history, but for the difference in price, the Mil Spec is the way to go.

Don't forget the range report with the new 3 dot sights as I know your accuracy will improve. ;)
  3. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I'd like to see what it looks like when you get it back. I have a SA 1911 A1 with the gi sights and been thanking about changing them also.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Me toooooo
  5. doug66

doug66 New Member

I agree.... This gun was a Christmas present from my wife. Who knows I like 1911a1's but doesn't know why some are $400 and others cost $2000.
    Like I said in 1st post, sights are my only complaint. I don't mind old style ejection port. Trigger is descent. Eats all my reloads. I'll post pics hen it gets back home.
  6. Shooter45

Your Wife's heart was in the right place and it will give you something to do as in making improvements. It's a win win situation. :D
  7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Amen to that! I wish my wife would even buy me a box of ammo now & again...
  8. Shooter45

MIne will.....sometimes. She has also bought me a couple of 1911's. :)

Doug, now it the time to buy and be ready to install a match bushing.

Then maybe a trigger job, and then lower and flair the ejection port, a new set of TFF grips, etc. :)
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Plus the Mil-Spec offers a lowered and flared ejection port, the raised sights with the dots, the stainless steel barrel, and has the Cocobolo grips that the GI does not.

And when I shot both I always thought the trigger felt different in the Mil-Spec.

I had a Wilson Combat match grade barrel and bushing fitted for me by a gunsmith my uncle knows and now I'm shooting significantly tighter groups than I did with my factory barrel & bushing. Having a good smith do some custom work makes all the difference IMO.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  10. doug66

doug66 New Member

Got my slide back. Looks and shoots great. Excellent service from SA.