Gibbs rifles

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by DK76, Jun 29, 2003.

1. DK76

DK76 New Member

I am having a hard time tracking down and of the Gibbs rifles. Does any one know one can order one of their No. 7 jungle carbine re-makes or their new 45-70 Summit?
  2. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Gibbs Summit and other sporting rifles and military remakes are sold through a network of distributors. Their website states that you can't order directly but must buy from one of their distributors. If you are not near one of their authorized retailers you can have your local dealer order one from them.
  3. vonotterskull

vonotterskull New Member

Hey DK76. Those Gibbs rifles look sweet. I've heard of problems with the 45-70 Summit rifle. Mostly it coming apart and screws falling out of it. Make sure whoever you buy it from has a good return policy. I saw a Gibbs at a gun show here lately, it looked like one of the Quest 3 Extreme carbines, and it looked solid. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  4. DK76

DK76 New Member

Thanks for the responses. A couple of the local shops could not find any Gibbs rifles through their distributers, but I did see that SOG has the Quest I, II, and III carbines. I may pick up one of the Quest II's in 308 soon. If I do I'll report on it. I read other posts on the problems that the Summits are having and that is making me shy away from getting one of those. People are reporting magazine feeding problems as well with the 45-70 chambered rifles. That is a shame. Having a handy 45-70 in a fast bolt action like the Enfield would be neat.
  5. the major

the major New Member

I have the QUEST EXTREAM in .303. Great little rifle, no problems and plenty accurate for receiver sighted rifle.
  6. DK76

DK76 New Member

303 carbine

I finally got a Gibbs .303 Quest Carbine. I had a local dealer order one from SOG. My cost was $200. The rifle was finished well with a nice deep bluing. The new stock was very attractive and the barrel appeared in good shape. All in all a great and new looking rifle for $200. Unfortunately I was only able to fire it once. I was using factory S&B ammo. The case completely seperated. An apparent headspacing problem. I called Gibbs and they said to send it to them and they would correct the problem.
  7. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I'm glad they're going to fix it for you, but.......

That's very disappointing. That signifies to me that they have some quality issues. That completely changes my mind about buying one.

Thanks for posting that.
  8. DK76

DK76 New Member

New Carbine

I sent my bad Quest Carbine out Monday afternoon. Thursday morning I received a package from Gibbs. Inside was an invoice with a written message that stated, "bad barrel on previous rifle. Gun replaced." My new .303 Quest Carbine functions properly, shoots well, and is even better looking than the first. Although I was upset over getting a bum rifle I can not complain about the speedy replacement. I'm sure everyone sends out a bad rifle from time to time. I was very pleased with Gibb's customer service. Now I just need a good mount and 4x scope. Anyone know of any good, solid non-gunsmithing mounts for a .303 Enfield?
  9. warpig

warpig Guest

I would be interested in the 45-70 if they get the bugs worked out.
  10. frhunter13

frhunter13 New Member

I have a Gibbs Summit 45 70 that I have fired with the hottest loads I can find published, repeatedly. Who told you it comes apart? You should verify such statements before making them. This is a solid rifle, very utilitarian. It posts 1 MOA with many of the loads I have shot and has bruised my shoulder more than once. I do recommend a high quality gel rubber type but pad.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  11. frhunter13

frhunter13 New Member

x
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  12. XP100

XP100 Member

I have one of the earliest 45/70's with hand checkered stock and match grade barrel. It shoots extremely well and it does have some serious recoil with hot loads. Never a problem with it.
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, if after nine years, if they are still having problems they should take it back:D
  14. vonotterskull

vonotterskull New Member

Here is one page from 2003 describing some of the issues with Gibbs.
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-30718.html
    Oh and another,, http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-27973.html
    If I thought I would have been called out 9 years later I would have saved the weblinks. Maybe I should have taken a pic of the one I saw at the gunshow 9 years ago to back up my statement "they look solid". From what I've read, some people have had good experiences with them and some have had bad ones. "You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have the facts of life."