gifting.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by dbrown1997, Oct 5, 2011.

1. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

can someone explain to me what is gifting a gun to someone and can only a parent do it.
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

a responsible, law abiding person would only gift a firearm to someone with the legal right to own a firearm

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

a parent, grandparent may purchase a firearm or pistol as a gift for a minor or underage member of the family. while it may be "gifted" to said person, legaly the ownership stays with the person buying till the minor has reach the legal age. of course if said minor commits a felony of any type then possision much less ownership is another felony.

since you ARE underage at this time suggest you continue drooling and get a good air rifle or pistol to use till you come of age. save your mula and keep reading and learing. when you get legal, you will have enough $ to get a really good weapon of your choice. and since you practiced with the air rifle or pistol you will already be a big leg up on everone else!

ALSO ask your local city, county police dept if there is a local Young shooters program near you. if not maybe you can get them interested in working to sponser one. that way you get the supervision and the chance to handle and fire live weapons!
  4. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    I AGREE Seems like his Pops just aint into guns or might not like them 4 this or that reason.
    Since he is Asking Questions here I BELEAVE he IS trying to go the RIGHT way here.
    D BROWN this Last paragraph THIS might be your Answer BUD!
  5. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

well every time i talk to him about getting a gun or him getting a foid card the conversation will last like a minute.
  6. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    D Brown He might not think your ready yet
    Maybe he is not into guns
    Maybe he is affrade what can happen

I Think if THATS the case ASK him if it would be OK
    if you look into Big Brothers Or your Local youth groups
    Ask your police dept if they know of any groups
    that could steer you in the right direction.

I TRULY APPLAUD the FACT that your Asking 4 HELP
    I think thats a HUGE step in doing it the RIGHT WAY!
    DONT be around "Bad type holligans" that can get YOU in trouble
    AND 4 SURE DONT OVER STEP YOUR BOUNDS DONT GET CAUGHT WITH A GUN NOW OR IT COULD HAUNT YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!

Then there will NEVER be any hope of him EVER wanting you to have ANYTHING to do with GUNS! THINK THINK THINK

your 14
    When I was 14 I KNEW what was RIGHT from WRONG---DO YOU?

If you caught with a gun & Pops
    DONT know about it know how PISSED he's Gonna BE?
    PLUS if that did happen you'll have a RECORD it will make your life hell
    Cant work @ ALOT of places,,CANT go into the Military,,, CANT ever own a gun (Leagealy EVER) THINK THINK THINK

Good Luck
    Mac
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Gifting a gun is giving a firearm as a gift to someone, and yes, only parents can do it if your are underage.

See H-Ds post #2 for legal details..

I know, it sucks, but all you can do is wait til you turn 21..
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I think we should all do a gift test. Everybody get a firearm and gift it to ME and see how that goes. Once the smoke clears, we will have a better idea. ;)
  9. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Attached Files:

10. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

dbrown1997:

You are in IL, and IL has NO provision for ANY ONE without a firearms owner ID to own a gun or ammunition, PERIOD.
    Gifting is not an option until you have a FOID card -
    And you can only get one of those if your PARENT has one and will SIGN to be responsible for you, then you can get a card.

That's it, period, until you are 21.

Check the IL State Police site and you will discover this is exactly correct.
  11. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Fusebox40 I WANT ONE!!!! love the way it looks. Rubberband huh I wounder how far it shoots?

Now to dbrown1997 If your dad says no then it means NO.There are no ways around it.
    As for clubs you can get into to shoot I am shure you will need a parents ok in writing befor ANYBODY will teach you or put a gun in your hands.
    So what I am saying is if you are not alowed to get,have,shoot a gun there is NO WAY AROUND IT you can not have one.....
    But that does not mean you cannot learn about them.
    Listen to what you are being told if you do not obey your dad or the law you will NEVER get one and are very likely to get charged with a felony that will NEVER go away.
    I would like to know if your dad knows that you are on TFF and what he thinks about it?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  12. hunter29180

and from previous posts...
    Originally Posted by dbrown1997
    no because about a few years ago my dad had a .22 and then his foid card expired so he gave his guns to his brother and he just never got his foid yet

everyone is miss under standing me i already have a foid i'm waiting for my dad to get his he said he was going to get it the same time i did it at my local pawnshop but we didnt have enough time so my dad didnt get his app sent i did and already recived it.

something seems off here..

Ampaterry says,"And you can only get one of those if your PARENT has one and will SIGN to be responsible for you, then you can get a card."

but dbrown1997 says,"i already have a foid i'm waiting for my dad to get his he said he was going to get it the same time i did it at my local pawnshop but we didnt have enough time so my dad didnt get his app sent i did and already recived it."

so HOW did dbrown get one if his dad dosent have one??
  13. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Just to let every one know I called illinois state police and asked if you can get a foid card at 14? and if at 14 can you get one without the person signing permision haveing one and this was the anser.

The ONLY way a 14 year old can get a foid card is by a thier leagal guardians signature and the leagal guardian MUST have a foid card BEFOR they can sign.

The foid card is only good for the 14 year old for shooting NOT OWNING A GUN! AND MUST BE WITH A ADULT (who has a foid card) WHEN IN THE POSESION OF A GUN.

The prossess of getting a foid card can take up to 6 months depending on the amount of cards they are getting request for.

Something is NOT right here.

Again I ask DBROWN1997 DOES YOUR DAD KNOW YOU ARE ON TFF????
  14. dbrown1997

dbrown1997 New Member

yeah he does and what i ment is that when a got my foid my dad was going to expire soon so he was going to get his renewed but i got mine in time.
  15. hunter29180

but you did not say that..you said, and i quote.."no because about a few years ago my dad had a .22 and then his foid card expired so he gave his guns to his brother and he just never got his foid yet"

so he DID NOT have a valid foid card when you say you applied for yours.

Why are you changing your story? WE only want to help you!! But you must be honest in your dealings with us..we will not knowlingly lead you down the wrong path. Many of us would freely give of out time,knowlege and expertise in order to HELP anyone who genuinely wants to learn and get it right..including you!

come clean now so we can help you to get a real lifelong passion on the right road! WE REALLY WANT TO HELP YOU! You did the right thing by comming here and asking questions for clairfications. dont stray from that path now!
  16. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Sorry, but this entire situation smells like poo to me. A 14 year old with a FOID card? Why would they even issue a card to a person that can't legally buy firearms or ammo? I think IL is much more hardcore than that with their funky firearms regulations.
  17. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I could be wrong about what was told to me (or should i say he was wrong) getting a foid card in IL will only take 30 days or less.
    dbrown1997 Hunter is right after looking over your posts I can see that you have changed your story more then one time.Now I am not saying that you are lying but I think you may not have the hole story right.
    The bottem line is YOU ARE NOT ALOWED TO OWN A GUN IN YOUR STATE INTILL YOU ARE 18! NO WAY! NO HOW!
    Even if you are gifted a gun, given a gun, found a gun,You can not get around it!!!!
    So is your father going to let you have a gun. NO!!!! because he is NOT alowed to have a gun with out the foid card and the only way for you to "have" a gun is if it is in your fathers name.And he is responsible leagaly for ANY actions that you do regarding this matter.
    As for your father knowing about you being on TFF I have my doubts.
    But I could be wrong( it would not be the first or the last time) So have him log on so we can talk to him to see if there is anything we can do to help you.
    WITH HIS OK.
    Are posting from school at 8:15 AM
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  18. hunter29180

goofy, i have noticed he's posting in the eveing also, so maybe from his home computer also? or a friends?

personally, I dont care if his dad knows, would rather he did know, but if not would rather have him asking questions here instead of elsewhere! at least I know we will not steer him wrong!
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And now, unfortunately, since your dads has expired and you are only 14, your FOID isnt worth the paper its printed on.. If you get caught with a firearms of any type your father could face criminal sharges and you both will probably end up losing your 2nd ammendment rights altogether.
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My guess is his parent have seen fit to allow him a smartphone and hes posting with it while hes at school. Those fancy apple Iphones have sweet internet. Dang things are faster than my desktop.