Girl Dies From Drinking Water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raven818, Jul 6, 2012.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know this probably isn't a biggie on the list of must reads, but I've known of this happening several times over the years, so I'll post it anyway:

Published: July 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

NYSTAD, Finland, July 6 (UPI) -- A Finnish girl who drank more than 6 quarts of water in a game with classmates died of brain complications caused by consuming too much water, officials said.

The girl, 12, had played "water poker" on the Aland Islands of Finland near Sweden, the Swedish news agency TT and The Local.se reported Friday.

The game's rules required the loser of each hand of poker to drink a glass of water.

Teachers did not realize the girl had consumed too much water until they conducted a count of students in the evening.

"She sat on the toilet and vomited. She had drunk an enormous amount of water," Jukka Silvola, principal of the school, told the Aftonbladet newspaper.

The principal said the girl was "truly well-liked."

The girl was taken to a hospital in Mariehamn, Finland, before being transferred to Uppsala University Hospital in Uppsala, Sweden, north of Stockholm.

She was declared brain dead at the hospital and taken to her hometown in Nystad in eastern Finland in May. She died there a few days later.

Johan Valtysson, head of the intensive care ward at the Uppsala hospital, said drinking too much water can dilute the blood and decrease salt levels in the blood, drawing water into the brain, which swells. The blood flow to the brain is then cut off, Valtysson said.

He said water poker is "a truly dangerous game."

http://tinyurl.com/7482lvl
  2. ShooterBoy33

ShooterBoy33 Former Guest

Man, that's effin bs. I suppose when it's your time etc but hell...

Water? o_O
    I thought that was only hazardous in Mexico. Heh heh heh
  3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I was young we did beer poker. No one ever died but they did get sick.
  4. ShooterBoy33

ShooterBoy33 Former Guest

I have played a beer/strip hybrid poker before.
    Good times bro, good times...
  5. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

a while back a radio station had a contest, involved drinking a large amount of water in a specified time. The winner was a female adult who later died from over consumption.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

never heard of too much water killing you
  7. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

Yes, I think the term is water intoxication. It has nothing to do with being drunk, but the electrolites that your body needs to function, become too diluted to do the job they were designed for. When this happens you can become seriously ill, or as in the case of this young woman, die.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  8. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

Yes, drinking too much water can be detrimental. I believe it is over 160 ounces per day that is not recommended.
  9. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

water is to wash your feet wiskey is for drinking
  10. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

That's a new one on me. Never would have dreamed that to much water would do all that.
  11. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

have heard of students dying from this due to a hazing incident. like anything too much or too little can hurt you.
  12. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

wow!!!!! I wonder if that's what happened to me on thursday. wednesday I was working on tearing down the neighbor's shed and thursday morning I was replacing the complete AC system on a Windstar. both were done in sweltering heat so I drank plenty of water. I got home at 2:00 and took a nap until 4:30 when I was suddenly woke up. I had a killer headache that Tylenol had no affect on. about 6:00 I :barf: and felt like death warmed over. first chills then hot then chills again so I went back to bed. I still have a small headache. maybe I need to go to Denny's for breakfast now. anyone want to back me up when I tell the wife I need to go there for my health?
  13. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Wait till the brain trust in office gets hold of this. Al Gore will write a paper about the dangers of water and Biden will start campaigning to outlaw public water fountains........
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I hav e heard this too. Its why your sides hutr when you drink too much water.. Its your body telling to knock it the hell off.
  15. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Actually 68, in your case I would think that you did not drink too much water. The amount is relative to what you are doing. While working outside your body will sweat out the water almost as fast as you drink it which is why you urinate less. However, the girl that died had no way to get rid of the H20 that she was consuming and that is what killed her. I think in your case the lack of electrolite's is what snowballed you into your headache, which is dangerous. Next time drink some Gatorade or an equivelent type replacement drink before and during your heavy work in the heat. Once you get the headache it is too late. Also, in the summer I remommend drinking a glass of gatorade in the evenings before bed (check with your doc first) because you will wake up much more refreshed. I am a weight lifter so after I work out in the heat all day, I take an electrolite pill before I hit the gym. They are cheap and do wonders for you. They are good to have in you car or truck for when you want to go shooting in the desert and stuff like that. I keep them around the house when I am out doing yard work. Check with your doc on those first too.

Doctor Jim:D