Giveaway....the right answers are

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by punchie, Jan 8, 2005.

1. punchie

punchie Member

Folks
    I have had a lot of fun with this giveaway and would like to thank all of you for participating. I also never realized the amount of work and time involved. The whole intent was to let the winners "earn" something while exploring our rich American Heritage. Judging by many of the responses, I was successful. I have tried to answer all entries with a reply e-mail and a hint if it was the wrong answer. At the very least I think we all learned something.

"American" President is not necessarily a US President so the primary answer was Jefferson Davis imprisoned at Fortress (Fort) Monroe, VA the other answer that was accepted by me is Andrew Jackson imprisoned by the British as a younster during the Revolution at Camden, SC

There are 70 people with the correct answer(s) for a total of 218 entries.
    All entrants will be assigned a random number and for every correct entry that number will be placed on a chit and placed on a very large cookie sheet. Our chihuahua, Abby, will pick up three chits. The entrant assigned to that first chit will be notified by e-mail and given first choice. Second chit, e-mail notification and second choice, third chit, e-mail notfication of what is left.

The winners will have the option of declining but not of reassigning the prize. If the prize is declined an alternate will be picked! So I hope that the winners will be prompt with an e-mail acknowleging the prize so that the second place can be notified, etc.

Again, THANK YOU ALL AND GOOD LUCK
    Stephen
  2. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

What in hell is a CHIT??? :D
  3. rjjrwi

rjjrwi New Member

here's keeping my fingers crossed :D
    thanks again
  4. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I think it's like a pregnant chad that looks like a chittlen...LOL
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Thanks again for doing this. It is very kind of you.
  6. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

LMBO! :D
  7. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Re: Giveaway....the 3 right answers are

While I appreciated the chance to learn (especially in the quest for a gun), I must strongly protest that there are only two answers to the original question. The first answer my research turned up was this:

Henry Laurens​
    The only American president ever to be held as a prisoner of war by a foreign power, Laurens was heralded after he was released as "the father of our country," by no less a personage than George Washington. He was of Huguenot extraction, his ancestors having come to America from France after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes made the Reformed faith illegal. Raised and educated for a life of mercantilism at his home in Charleston, he also had the opportunity to spend more than a year in continental travel. It was while in Europe that he began to write revolutionary pamphlets—gaining him renown as a patriot. He served as vice-president of South Carolina in 1776. He was then elected to the Continental Congress. He succeeded John Hancock as President of the newly independent but war beleaguered United States on November 1, 1777. He served until December 9, 1778 at which time he was appointed Ambassador to the Netherlands. Unfortunately for the cause of the young nation, he was captured by an English warship during his cross-Atlantic voyage and was confined to the Tower of London until the end of the war. After the Battle of Yorktown, the American government regained his freedom in a dramatic prisoner exchange—President Laurens for Lord Cornwallis. Ever the patriot, Laurens continued to serve his nation as one of the three representatives selected to negotiate terms at the Paris Peace Conference in 1782.