1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Glad I Found Ya'll

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by TexasJohn, Jan 2, 2011.

1. TexasJohn

TexasJohn New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am very new to this site. I am a shooter, instructor, and avid reloader. I do not hunt simply because you have to get up too early, but anyone with any wild game meat give me a call and I will come and get it.:D:D:D. I suffer from severe OA and in a chair. I am putting a program together to help disabled persons to better take care of themselves while carrying a concealed handgun. I have a idea this could be a stand alone class and be connected to the basic concealed course we have in Texas. Any one with suggestions or ideas please help me. The completed class outline and teaching ideas will all be free and I will share this program with anyone once I have it researched and refined. PLEASE HELP
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

howdy. welcome and God bless you.

Good luck with your project.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day John sounds a great Idea mate , hope it all comes together for you

Welcome !!
  4. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

Welcome
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to the forum John! I don't know what OA is, but if it's put you in a chair then it must be bad, I wish you well. My wife is one of those disabled people that would benifit from a SD class aimed at the disabled. I hope that things go well with the class, I know several that have a really hard time getting throug the standard TX CCW class. However, I don't know what I can do to help. Do you have any suggestions for us?
  6. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

I'm mobility challenged, i.e., power chair. I made it through the normal class, because the class was in a public college (easy access) and the shooting class was at the Bass Pro store. However, the instructor did not address the carry issues for the disabled. For example, if you are sitting in a chair, placement of the carry holster in the small of the back is not an option. I've handled the issue by obtaining a CC fanny pack. I can wear it on the left side (I'm right handed) which allows me to have an easy cross-draw.

We have to consider all sorts of things for the mobility impaired. For example, hunting, using one of the golf carts with the oversized tires and old-west style carry for the rifle or shotgun. But these can all be overcome, just paying attention to your limitations and your needs, with a little ingenuity.

Thanks for recognizing the needs of the disabled and welcome.
  7. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

Welcome aboard, John. I have a very good friend who helps disabled sportsmen get back into the shooting sports. Try this:
    A Far Cry.Com
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

My father is now in a power chair due to his illness, This has been his first year and I have to say he is kinda slow adjusting to the new challenges of bein limited on mobility. We have been goin over his carry options while in his chair, a fanny pack is ok but pops is not what one would call a small man, so we are lookin into other chair options.

I do want to say thanks for the work you are doin and lookin forward to hearing more form you in the future.
  9. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Welcome into the fold John.

If you don't allready have a web site... sounds like you need to build one for your worthy cause. :)
  10. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

Big Ugly: They make large chairs as well as the standard sized chairs. If ins doesn't pay, check Craigs List. I bought a power chair for $50 (just needed batteries), bought a couple of different lifts for my van, etc all way below retail.
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Welcome to the forum, John!

Good to have ya!

:)
  12. USAF04

USAF04 New Member

I am also new to this forum. As TexasJohn said, I'm glad I found you. Right now I exploring. I'm a service disabled vet. Nothing heroic, but still my activities are limited. My carry is a S&W1911M&P. Love the .45. Looking forward to getting to know you guys. Cheers, {:{)}
  13. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Welcome from NE Pennsylvania. Your ambitions are not only noble but needed. You will find a wealth of info, suggestions and help with this site. Good Luck
  14. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Carver, I believe he is speaking of Osteoarthritis. Many older people have OA to some degree but for some it can be truly devastating. I am a disability examiner for Social Security and see this all to frequently.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Thanks Terry! I should have known that! Due to injuries to both of my legs, I suffer from Trumatic Arthritis.