1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Glenfield 60 Restoration project

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by spud9, Nov 12, 2012.

1. spud9

spud9 Member

I picked up a few squirrels over the past month or so. This one was in very bad shape. 1972, rust, pits, you name it...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

First disassembled the whole thing to see just how bad it all is.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The barrel looked like the feed tube.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The stock was not in too bad a shape, just alot of wear.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Put the barrel on the lathe, sanded and turned it to get the rust and pitting gone.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    The barrel was an experiment, did some creative bluing and got it to turn Bronze/Brown

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Bead Blasted the receiver, trigger guard and front sight.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Refinished the stock.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Sorry no pics of bolt, it has been polished accurized and jeweled. The Trigger group has been cleaned and trigger pull down to 4 lbs. Thinking about opening up again and getting it down to 3lbs.
    Also waiting for Duracoat to arrive so I can finish the job. Either going glossy black, OD green or Dark Earth.

Stay tooned!!!
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I vote for Dark Earth, great restoration job. I would love to have the time to spend doing a project gun; one of these days.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

That does look good I have to say. It may be the picture but it seems that your lifter spring on the trigger group may be broken. The one leg of the spring lifts up on the cartridge lifter, the other leg sits on top of the housing and acts as a ejector. I think the ejector leg is broke off. Its common for that to happen.
  4. spud9

spud9 Member

Actually the lifter spring is ok. It is an earlier model and the spring in tucked into the side of the housing and does not come up over the feed throat. I see how you would think that from the picture.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. zachp

zachp New Member

Awesome job. What did you use on the stock? I am in a similar project with a Wn model 94 30-30. I got it for a steal and started working on it last night. I have been using a dremel tool to do all of the work. What kind of bluing did you use? This is my first try at a project and any advice would be great. Thanks.
  6. spud9

spud9 Member

Zach, using a dremel for all the work = a whole lot more work. Get some bigger tools to borrow if you can. It will make working with the pieces a little faster and more uniform. Using a full sized buffer or even a scotch brite ball on a drill if you are stipping metal pieces. I am not exactly sure what your build entails.

On the stock, I used Citristip to remove the finish, hot water and a towel to help remove some of the old stain. An iron on hot towels works good for that too. I then stained it and I use a two part catalyst sealer (used in woodworking/cabinet and furniture) call Krystal. (Satin...comes out glossy) 4 coats sprayed on.

Bluing - I use Arts Belguin Blue (Midway USA) or Oxpho-bue (Brownells). Both work well. There are alot of Youtube videos on how to use them.
  7. zachp

zachp New Member

Thanks for the tips.

Actually the dremel has worked out pretty well. Started out coarse and working down. The only rough spots were on the left side of the receiver and a couple on the barrel so not a lot of surface area to cover. I plan to make a thread like this one when I finish. Thanks again!
  8. spud9

spud9 Member

Good luck with your build, don't forget to take alot of pictures. Feel free to PM me if you have an questions or just ask on the forum if you want a dozen answers....hehe...
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Awesome job!
    Looked like it had seen it's better days, but what a great transformation!
  10. weaselone

weaselone New Member

Great Job man!!:eek:
  11. spud9

spud9 Member

Thanks ya'll... Still got a bit to go. I finally got delivery of my Duracoat and did some spraying today. "Woodlands Tan" I think is the color I went with. It is a flat finish but I am thinking of giving the parts a quick spray of satin clear to complete the gun with the same overall finish. I will pre assemble it first to see what it looks like.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

So while waiting for the paint to dry I got a little itch... pulled out one of my pawn shop aquisitions.... 1972 no serial number, no barrel markings Marlin 989. So I disassembled it to get ready to start another one... going to make this one a back to original restore. The walnut stock is cracked and the gun has been used, alot...

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Stay tooned... more to come
  12. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Nice Work!!!
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

All looking good! My vote would be OD Green but it's all about what your preference is.
  14. spud9

spud9 Member

Zane, I have three more Squirrels to restore. (1972, 1979 and 1981) I am going to do one with OD green and a black/dark charcoal stained stock. I am toying with glazing the squirrels and pressings in a lighter grey for affect. We will see... that will probably get started next month.
    Not sure if the others will get the special treatment or go original.
  15. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Active Member

Great work , I love the pictures ! Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming :)

Thanks again ....