glenfield model 20

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dang228, Nov 1, 2006.

1. dang228

dang228 New Member

Hello, my neighbor wants to get rid of a Glenfield Mod. 20 gun. Its made by marlin, and the serial # is 22697827. Correct me if I'm wrong, this gun was made in 78? Is this a good gun? What do you think I should offer him? Im sure he'd take just about anything, but i'd also like to know the value of it if anyone can get it. Any info is appreciated!
  2. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

$50.00 would be generous if its in perfect condition...

(bolt action .22 right???)

best regards, mike.
  3. dang228

dang228 New Member

thanks mike
  4. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

my Dad has a Glenfield Model 25 bolt action magazine fed .22 rf rifle in mint condition...

when the plastic Glenfield scope went bad, we put an old vintage Weaver steel tube narrow diameter scope on it...

innacuratte, cheaply made, entry lever starter / beginners gun

great for teaching the kids, or plinkin at cans...

but dont expect miracles.

best regards, mike.
  5. rick's red dawg

rick's red dawg New Member

if im not mistaken a mdl 60 is a semi auto
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Rick your right a Model 60 is a semi-auto and a 20 is bolt action
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Hey, MrMike my FIRST rifle was a Glenfield Model 25, and it was PLENTY accurate for a 12 year old, and in fact it is STILL behind the door in my 83 year old Mom's bedroom because that was the gun her and Dad used to shoot a lot, and she feels more comfortable living alone with a gun in the house!;)

I still remember that Xmas as my BEST Xmas ever before I had my own kids, that was ALL I asked for, and ALL I got that year (besides the obligatory clothes:mad: :p ), and I remember the new 25 with the Tasco scope package went for $39.95 back then at Kmart or Sears, which would have been Xmas 1970....I had asked for a Model 60, and my Dad said "NO kid gets a semiauto....:mad: " but when I saw that LONG box under the tree I was ECSTATIC....:eek: :D :D :D

I believe the 20 was a single shot, right? The 25 has a 7 round clip....

Don't knock it, for reliability OR accuracy...PLENTY of Squirrels, Grackles, Starlings, Woodchucks and Muskrats fell to that rifle, and some at close to 100 yds TOO (One PARTICULAR shot I got to brag about that I made with it with a couple of smartass cousins as witnesses when I was a teenager on a Grackle was OVER 100:p )....and it came with a Tasco .22 scope when I got it for Xmas way back when...even though the scope is long gone, because when I traded it to my Dad when I was in college he yanked it off...he NEVER liked scopes....:p

Just because a rifle doesn't cost much OR have much collector's appeal, doesn't make it junk....or even necessarily a "starter" gun.....and you CAN expect "miracles" with it, ESPECIALLY "for the price....," it is as accurate as the SHOOTER....It DOES have the famous marlin "Micro-groove" rifling.....:p ;) whatever THAT is.....:p

And as a matter of fact my Squirrel gun TODAY is an older Glenfield 75C with a 1" Tasco scope....and it's a killer too....;)

If it's in decent used shape, $50 would be a STEAL. It would be sold at a gun show for between $75 and $90, probably even $100 if "Excellent...."

I am amazed that even garden variety used Model 60s are going for $100-125 at recent shows....WITHOUT scopes.....
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  8. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

Just because a rifle doesn't cost much OR have much collector's appeal, doesn't make it junk....or even necessarily a "starter" gun.....and you CAN expect "miracles" with it, ESPECIALLY "for the price....," it is as accurate as the SHOOTER....It DOES have the famous marlin "Micro-groove" rifling..... whatever THAT is.....

the vast majority of my collection (approaching 300 pcs) is "junk"...

they are not rare, sought after, expensive, do not have collecters appeal, and would be laughed at by most folks...

they include:
    REXIO .22 single shot pistol
    RG-38 revolver
    CHARTER ARMS AR-7 .22 td rifle
    RAVEN .25 acp pistol
    JC HIGGINS 12 G bolt action
    HERITAGE ARMS SAA .22 revolver
    MARLIN-GLENFIELD MODEL 25 .22 rifle
    etc...

many of them are innacuratte, cheaply made, and not up to match / competition standards...

does not mean i do not use them, and have not benefited from the experiance...

as far as the skill level of the shooter affecting the accuracy of the gun...

i hold 4 NRA DISTINGUISHED EXPERT ratings...

i have fired over the verdant green fields at PERRY, and slept in the white shacks...

i have been out to the OTC in Colorado Springs 3 times...

i have fired more rounds out of more guns than 99% of the population...

if i cannot get a gun to print moderate groups, nobody can...

the Glenfields, AR-7`S, and other starter guns are paperplate group guns at 50 yds, under the best of circumstances...

but i still own them, and still shoot them...

i am not knocking the gun, or its owners ability...

just issuing a frank appraisal of the guns value and its potential...

i do not speak that which i do not know.

best regards, mike.
  9. polishshooter

Now that's ironic too, I had one of the original Charter AR-7s and it was decently accurate too! Now it was basically a SINGLE SHOT, from all the malfunctions, but it was one of my FAVORITE Squirrel guns, and in fact was what I traded my Dad the 25 for! (He bought it used from a nephew of his, and hated peeps as MUCH as scopes....)

In fact, I fondle one at every show, will again tomorrow, I may just have to get another someday....(although when I remember the 3 or 4 malfunctions per mag, I usuaally put it back down quickly....:))

I used to carry it taken down and stowed in my game bag, and carry a shotgun for grouse or squirrel on the way to the hardwoods, then sit down, pull out the AR-7, and lean the shotgun against the tree , and pop squirrels all day! I also made an impressive head shot on a porcupine with it wedged WAY up there in a tree once in PA when we were "chipmunk" shooting... (Porkers play HELL with hunting camps when they get in.....and they can go right THROUGH the wall of a trailer if they've a mind to.....))

Now I agree, they AREN'T 100yd three position smallbore guns, but paper plate size groups at 50? As a RULE?

NOT....2-3 inches is to be expected from a Glenfiled, better with a better shooter. I got that all day with the 25 with GOOD ammo when I could afford it, not MUCH worse with the cheap stuff, and my Glenfield 75 does better...in fact I just sighted the 75C in again not a month ago, at 50, with the new 1" scope at the range, from a rest, and was disappointed every group was right AT 2"...I got better groups with it before, with the cheap small diameter Tasco, I think it's the Remington Hollow points I'm using now, I used to only use solids.

And I am NOT and never WAS a "Distinguished Expert." In my rifle competition days (DCM, and three position) I was TICKLED to hit Sharpshooter, I usually was only a high Marksman....(I was a pistol competitor mainly) so YOU should be able to do BETTER than 2" at 50 from a "typical" Glenfield with a barrel that's not a smoothbore from too much lead.....

This same 75C has popped MANY squirrels at 40-50, I even got a MOVING squirrel at 55 paces (Impressed the BEJEEZUS out of my 9 yr old son at the time, but I admit a certain amount of luck....:cool: ). Now, granted, today I missed an offhand 75 yarder on a big Fox squirrel in the beanfield, but I had no rest available at the time and couldn't even kneel because of the undulating ground, but I AM kicking myself I didn't use the sling at least or maybe tried to sneak closer, even though I was in open ground and he could see me...but it was a makeable shot....

I ALSO know whereof I speak.... :D

Mrmike, now I don't mean this to be rude or anything, but just MAYBE is it possible you have so many guns you don't CONCENTRATE on one enough to know it's true potential? And I am NOT disputing some of your list...I have owned some of THEM too....;)

But give a twelve year old from the country, with lots of land to roam behind his house, a Marlin and enough shells and a part time job to keep it fed, and by golly by the time he's 20 he will KNOW that particular gun better than he knows his Brothers and Sisters....
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  10. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Thanks for the story Polish
    The AR-7 was the Survival rifle right.
    Have you looked at the Springfiled rifle a little bit cheaper than an original AR-7
  11. polishshooter

Yeah, the AR-7 was first made by Armalite, then Charter Arms bought the rights, mine was one of the first Charters....

Actually the story on mine was that when I went off to college, every time I came back home I'd find Dad had torn the scope off the Model 25, because he wanted to shoot a muskrat or woodchuck or starling, and he hated scopes....he was VERY far sighted, and never learned to shoot one....

So I'd yell at him, put the scope BACK on, go buy some more shells, take it out back and painstakingly sight it back in, maybe take it hunting, then I'd go back to school and the process would REPEAT itself sure as snow in Bufffalo the NEXT time I got home....:mad: :mad: :p

Then one day I come home and the scope is still ON! I ask Dad why, (it was now almost a TRADITION:p ) and he said he got sick of me yelling at him, so he bought his OWN .22, and had Mom go get it, and I'll be dipped, if it wasn't the early Charter AR-7....he bought it from one of my cousins who had stopped by to do some shooting out back (City relatives with guns were ALWAYS doing that.....Dad didn't mind)

He liked it for being so small and light so he could carry it easily on his "Walker..." (He was in a wheelchair for almost 30 years, so his Cub Cadet Hydrostatic drive he called his "Walker...") but he told me he hated the peep almost as much as the scope, since his Army days and the M1 Carbine when he was in the artillery....

One day I came home and he asked me if I wanted to trade, as long as I took the damm scope off the 25, and I did...

But THEN Mom told me why...:p

Seems Dad took Mom and a few coffee cans out towards the pond, about 400 yds down and away from the house, had Mom put the cans next to the pond, then he took her and the rifle to the other side and proceeded to teach her how to shoot it. Mom said it was alright, but they missed a lot at first.....

Then they went back in the house for supper, and when they are getting ready for bed, Mom goes into the bedroom and screams, their bedroom window was shot out!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Nice little .22 holes in it too....:cool:

Dad figured it out, but made her promise to tell no one:p ... they were shooting back TOWARDS the house, and every SHORT round bounced off the water, and made a NICE pattern into the window of their bedroom!

And of COURSE Dad blamed it on the gun.....:p :p :p ;) :D

All I know if it was ME, Dad sure wouldn't have accepted "It was the damm gun's fault" as an excuse!!!!!!

But anyway, that's how I ended up with it, and I had it for years....Not only me, but MANY guys who shot it commented on how surprisingly accurate it was for such a small and light rifle, BUT it malfunctioned like crazy...I'm not sure I EVER had an entire mag shoot without at least one stovepipe or a double feed, and I tried all kinds of ammo and several different mags....but it was cool, only 2 1/2 lbs, it floated either stored or put together, so it was good for canoeing, or on a boat, and stored in it's own stock, and you could just slip it in your gamebag and always have it if you decided to take a break and sit for squirrels, when you were carrying your shotgun for birds or bunnies....the stock was kind of cheesy though, easily scratched and cracked....

I ended up selling or trading it years later, and now that they are back on the market I'm kinda listening to reports, if they got the reliability fixed on them, I may just buy another....

I saw a few new ones at the show today, along with an old AR-7 pistol a guy has been trying to sell for a year or so for $175.....Charter made just a few of them I think, but I also think they had reliability issues even worse than the rifles....
  12. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

as part of my habit / hobby...

when i buy a gun...

1. detailed data and spec sheet gets written, pictures are taken, history explored and catalogued for future use
    2. complete dissasembly for evaluation of completeness and function
    3. detailed cleaning, repair, and parts replacement as needed
    4. test firing at 50, 100, and 200 yds / at least 250 rounds / detailed records are kept, including chronograph receipts / targets placed in file
    5. repeat step #3
    6. attempt to obtain accsesories (sling, bayonet, ammo pouch, etc...)

most of the guns in my collection have gone through this process 2-3 times (minimum) with a varied ammo selection if possible

while there are a few guns that have seen a lot more use / are particular favorites, i have become a generalist...

my idea of a perfect sunday afternoon is to take a few pieces out and put them through my test regimine...

i may be the only person alive in the world to have fired as many rounds through or have as much trigger time experiance with a large number of these guns...

examples:
    C. SHARPS MODEL 1A .22RF PEPPERBOX
    ROLIN WHITE .22RF REVOLVER
    DERINGER .22RF REVOLVER
    MODEL 1886 LEBEL RIFLE
    MODEL 1905 ROSS RIFLE
    LEE-NAVY .236 USN RIFLE
    BAYARD MODEL 1905 .25 ACP
    JAPANESE TYPE 26 REVOLVER
    etc...

while a large part of the fun is testing the guns performance, and function...

the historical data and specs are as big a part of it...

if at all possible i attempt to obtain multiple variants / examples of the same gun so i can offer a more fair appraisal of its performance (givin a wider test group)

i worked for over 15 years in a gunshop (until the owner died) and personaly tested an enormous number of used / vintage guns in the above referenced fashion...

i also held the honor / distiction of "testing" guns for several big name importers / distributors before they reached the general public...

with rimfire rifles in particular it is a givin that i put several bricks of assorted ammo through each gun...

often testing out as many as 25 differant brands of ammo (some rather odd / uncommon)...

i am certain that you know some collectors who have never fired there guns, and who consider it a sin / crime that i do fire all of mine...

i had unlimited acsess to guns, ammo, data, range facilities, reloading equipment, and other gadgets...

i used the oppurtunity to do a lot of shooting...

the Glenfield i used may not have been as nice a performer as the one in question, and its a given that with much practice and the correct ammo a detemined individual can improve upon my personal performance experiance...

but i stand by my opinion and appraisal.

dont worry about my feelings gents, i enjoy the discussion / debate...

best regards, mike.
  13. Randy Maas

Randy Maas New Member

14. Randy Maas

Randy Maas New Member

How right you are Mike. I shoot every Wednesday with my shooting buddy at our range we built together. I own a few 22's as many do, but my favorite is my Glenfield mod. 20. At fifty yards I routinely punch out dime sized holes. Not bad for some stupid old junk gun! I've refinished this gun about five years ago and it looks brand new. Also I re-worked the trigger so it's easy to pull and crisp. I love it. But the small game around my home doesn't seem to share my love of that shooting iron. Strange huh?
  15. Techmaven

Techmaven New Member

I have a Model 20 and it will, with a cheezy Tasco scope, nail soda cans at 150+ yards consistantly.
  16. navyeoseabee

navyeoseabee New Member

i googled "glenfield model 20" looking for more mags ,and found this site. not bad i am from okc and prefer okshooters.com. BUT my point if you offer $50.00 bucks for your friends .22 you may not be considered a friend any more!

i bought mine when i was 14 years olr (now 28) from the great state of PA i hunted many squirrels with it. i too have a cheap "golden antler" tasco scope on it. my dad taught us (my brother too) to shoot by placing a pice of card board about 35-45yards out with a 1.5 inch grid covering the face of the card board where his pencil lines connected he placed a push pin or thumb tack there. he would use three colors of pins/tacksmy brother ,dad and myself i had our own color. using different rifles we went down the rows and at the end we would see who did better at knocking the tacks through the board.

my dad used a rem 572 -.22 pump, my brother used a bolt marlin and i used the glen mod 20 we all were very good. i i still love to take it out with my other guns when i go and if i could find one for the same $125.00 in the same "used" shape i have i would buy it for my daughter today! i love this .22

the only problem that i have had with it was the bolt filled with gunk and would not slap the rim hard enough to fire some ( every 6 or 7th) rounds after leaving the small towns of pa my mother came to visit OKC (and took the rifle on the plane it still shot perfect no adjustment!!!first time ever had that happed with any thing!) and i took it to a gun smith paid him $60.00 to clean everything and now it works flawlessly ! i love this no name gun!
  17. jamesanelson

jamesanelson New Member

hey now i am sick of the knocks on the ol model 20 i own one. it was my grandfathers and dads and now mine and i use it everyday. i have taken coons and porcupines and geese and ducks and pigeons and skunks and a beaver or 2 and not to mention all the birds...most all my shots are at least 75 yards or better and it is dead on...sometimes ya gotta aim a lil high but what can you expect from 22 ammo...i shot regular ol winchester HP does the job and keeps the pests away and fun to shoot. outshoots my cousins brand new winchester by far...so for me i will never buy anything but a marlin/glenfield 22. i also own a model 40 i belive it is. it sits at my work loaded with birdshot to keep the pigeons away inside of the buildings and grain bins.
    happy hunting all
  18. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

I've got & handled more Marlin/Glenfields than I can shake a stick at...

Good Guns. You'll be happy.
  19. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Wow, really old thread...
  20. hawaiianbasshead

hawaiianbasshead New Member

I know this is a pretty old thread, I just joined the other day after looking for mags for my dads glenfield mod.20 that I'm gonna pick up from him this weekend. thank god for the internet LOL to get ANYthing to HI priority mail is a must and I found out it's an option at checkout from midway!

I DID find another site that had them DIRT cheap but didn't offer priority mail shipping :(

LG has them for $11/pop, I lost the other site, I swear I found a site that had them for like $6ea :(

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GA_MAR71903