Glock 17

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by emcpowell, Mar 8, 2010.

1. emcpowell

emcpowell New Member

Just bought to 17's paid $500each. Loved the guns, till I took them to the range. Both guns over 6in off at 20 yards. One left high the other left low. Sad to spend that much money and have to turn around and spend more to get it to shoot straight. Any one have the same issue.
  2. kda

kda New Member

Have someone else shoot it, some one that is a good shot with Glocks. Then you'll know more about the source of the problem. Don't go spending money on adjusting or replacing sights or anything else until you do this. Will save you some money.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

What kind of ammo are you using? I normally wouldnt ask that until I used independence ammo and it shot way off target.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Sorry to hear that. I'm usually pretty accurate with Glocks. Have someone else try em out and see if you get the same results.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    TRY SHOOTING OFF OF A REST(SAND BAG)I WOULD ALSO TRY DIFFERENT AMMO AND WAS SUGGESTED LET SOMEONE ELSE SHOOT THEM.IM SORRY THE GUNS MAY BE THAT FAR OFF BUT.................. OLD SEMPERFI
  6. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Agreed. Have someone else that is very familiar with Glocks shoot them. Could be sight adjustment or maybe you are doing something odd (not saying its you, but if we want to improve ourselves, we must always keep an open mind and be receptive to constructive criticism).

I've shot a ton of Glocks and have not seen any that far off that have not been altered. If they are new, they were test fired at the factory and the 2 shells included in the envelope as proof. If they are used, then no telling what has been done to them. As for new, Glock has a pretty tight Quality Control program.

I shoot my G17 in IDPA and put no less than 500rds a month through it. It hits dead on. Aprox. 3000 rounds so far and each one has hit right where I pointed it.
  7. emcpowell

emcpowell New Member

I had a friend with me a the range. Both of us shot pretty much the same pattern. We had both Federal 115 FMJ and Winchester 115 FMJ no noticible differnce in ammo. Both guns bought new! I will try shooting off bags this weekend. Someone else said just running more ammo might help with problem, But I dont see that. Thanks for the help.[/B]
  8. emcpowell

emcpowell New Member

Talked to Glock Customer Service. They said there factory standard is 2" at 15 yards. So feasibly that could be 3-4 inchs at 20 yards. Said I could take them back to dealer and send them back to Glock. Turn around would be 6-8 weeks. I'm going to take a sand bag to range this weekend and totally eliminate operator error.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

how far off are they in inches from the point of aim? and are you and your buddy left or right handed?
  10. emcpowell

emcpowell New Member

Six inches both are right handed
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

6 inches really isnt bad at 60 feet for a defensive gun. Loosen your grip a little on your off hand, gripping your right hand too tightly with your left while shooting will pull groups left. Try shooting groups from a rest with the pistols. if they still shoot left then its safe to say they need adjustment...
  12. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Sounds like shooter error to me. No offense meant. Stop jerking that long hard trigger and they should stop going left. My wife (also right handed) used to impact most of her hits (G17) to the left until she got better control. Of course, a 2.5lbs disconector and a short trigger reset will help alot too.
  13. kda

kda New Member

Here is something I teach shooters I work with. Learn to stack the trigger. This is especially easy to learn to do on a Glock.

To learn stacking the trigger, make certain your weapon is empty. Check it again. Point in a safe location. With the trigger in the forward, unfired position, begin to pull back on the trigger and feel what is happening. You will find that the first 2/3rd (approx) of the trigger pull is quite easy ... almost effortless. Then you hit a pretty firm resistant point for the last 1/3rd of the trigger pull.

Practice pulling the trigger through that first 2/3rds repeatedly, each time learning to stop the pull at the end of the "easy pull". Note your weapon does not fire. OK, with the trigger back about 2/3rd of the way, the trigger is now stacked. Learn to do this instinctively when you raise the weapon to the target. Practice until it becomes automatic, something you can do easily and safely without much thought.

When you are on target but still working on perfecting your sight pattern, you should automatically be "stacking" the trigger. By the time the sight pattern is at the exact point of the target where you want to shoot, your finger should already be on a "stacked" trigger ready to pull that last 1/3rd of the trigger pull distance.

Now, all you have left for trigger pull is a relatively short 1/3rd range of trigger travel that will actually fire the weapon. Practice pulling this last 1/3rd by dry firing while you watch your sights. If you train to make that last 1/3rd pull of the trigger smooth and along an axis that is exactly parallel to the bore ... you'll see the sights don't move at all when the striker drops. Using the last pad on your trigger finger (not the joint), pull straight back smoothly and with firm conviction. If you don't jerk, push or palm your trigger stroke, your sights will stay precisely on target after the trigger pull is complete.

All this helps because you are not standing with sights on target, trying to maintain that perfect sight picture while you slowly pull through a long trigger pull. Trying to shoot like this is a recipe for disaster. Usually it encourages the shooter to rush and yank the trigger to get the shot off before the sights drift off target. Some older shooters find they cannot hold a good sight pattern for a long period of time.

Stacking the trigger as you get the weapon directed at the target leaves you with only a small amount of trigger movement to make once the sight picture is "perfected". And training for the perfect trigger pull through that last 1/3rd is relatively easy.

Learning to shoot your Glock like this changes everything. And note, nothing here suggests that you have your finger inside the trigger guard or on the trigger before your weapon is aimed at the general target.
  14. emcpowell

emcpowell New Member

Thanks for the tip! Will work stacking the trigger. Everyone thanks for the info.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you can add to the stacking and get some good loading and unloading drills using snap caps.
  16. big steve

big steve New Member

thats good advice. thanks for sharing
  17. kda

kda New Member

Thanks. It is well worth learning, hope it serves you well.
  18. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

The first hand gun I ever shot was a double action revolver. My father taught me to shoot it in double action mode, and it had a very heavy trigger pull. He taught me that staging the trigger was a bad habbit. In a defensive situation you will not be stagging that trigger, you will be pulling it quickly.

Just something to think about.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I disagree rocketman. In a defense situation you will be doing what youre trained to do. Its human nature to panic when you dont know what to do. So in my mind, specific training is the only key to surviving an 'incident'. Casual shooters and internet commandos are the ones that panic and empty the gun at the target only to hit it once and find its not neutralized and have to fumble around with reloading because the procedure isnt second nature. or worse, have the weapon jam up because the scared out of his mind shooter limp wristed their automatic causing a stove pipe, which can require full attention and 3 hands to clear if you havent trained properly and are familiar with the malfunction. TRAINING is key, and you really dont need an instructor. Just some experienced direction and tons of practice...
  20. emcpowell

emcpowell New Member

OK, I shot my first IDPA event today and didnt have any issues with it shooting left. So I will admit it was shooter error. Thanks for all the great info in your replies.