Glock 22 .40 Handloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by timmy61, Oct 5, 2012.

1. timmy61

timmy61 New Member

hey group i have a question ,

all i can get around here is small magnum pistol primers so the question is would i be ok shooting this formula?

155 Gr Hornaday XTP
    4.2 Gr Unique powder (Starting load in Lyman Calls for 5.8 Gr)
    Federal 200 Small Magnum Pistol Primer

Thanks in advance

Tim
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Timmy welcome to the forum

if i may , NEVER use reloads in glocks unless they are sub ( under the power of shop bought ammo) glocks do not take reloads well and as we've seen here just on the forums recently they tend to not like and be damaged by reloads

i shoot .40 here , but not a glock and it shoots my hot loads all day no worries

but from the 9 that i have noted here that have had barrel bulge or worse ( a blow out) its been reloads , and i dont think they where bad reloads , just more than what they designed for the glock ..

glock = factory ammo only to be safe
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

stay on the light side as said and use Redding's GRX push thru die and you should be fine. I shoot almost nothing but reloads thru my G23 and G35.

another option is to buy a Lone wolf barrel or other brand, they have more support in the chamber area than stock barrels do.

I would not go much below 10% under the minimum load also.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

First, Never, Never go below published Minimum, especially almost 25% as in your load. Going below Minimum can be as or even more dangerous than going above Maximum. Some powders do well going below Minimum most do not, I don't know how well Unique does at reduced charges, but a little research may be in order.

My guess is your reduced load will not cycle the action and you may end up with a bullet lodged in the barrel.

Magnum primer or no magnum primer, start at published Min (no lower) and work up.
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    timmy,welcome to the forum.first thing to remember is never reload ammo or shoot ammo that was not published in a manual that you can verify,some people get lucky others pay the price.re the reloads in a glock,the glock barrel has a very different rifeling than other pistols,the groves are very shallow therefor allowing lead to build up very quickly.if you have a leaded up barrel it caused too much pressure to build up and can rupture the barrel.i have fired hundreds of reloaded ammo with lead bullets thru my glocks but i delead the barrels after about fifty rounds.the other option if you want to shoot lead projectiles is to simply change the barrel to a regular type rifeling.a new barrel can be had for between 100.150.oo dollars us.these are very easily replaced and can be changed back in minutes. old semperfi
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Start with published minimum and work up. Check on your chamber type, you may be dealing with a brass bulging unsupported type which will lead to additional work resizing the brass twice and premature case failure.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I too advise against the use of reloads in a glock. even if you do it right the glock bulge weakens the case and it will blow out within a reload or 2. When it does it will shoot hot gas into the mag well, dropping the mag and burning your hand. Those 4.2 gr loads probably wont even cycle the slide on your glock. Stick to starting tables and work your way up.
  9. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Based on the Speer manual, mag pistol primers in place of std primers will give a slightly higher pressure. I've used them with no adverse affect, but you should begin with the start load and work up (dropping far below the start load can cause problems and even high pressure issues).

I'm not on the side that says don't shoot reloads in the later generation of Glock pistols (I've reloaded and shot thousands of rounds in 3 different calibers), but I am of the opinion that you are better off to stay in the low to mid range of loading data, especially for the 40 S&W. The choice is yours, but if you are antsy about it, consider an aftermarket barrel.
  10. dbach

dbach Member

Couldn't agree more. I reload .40 for my Glock 23. I also use cast bullets that I cast myself. I did replace the factory barrel with a Lone Wolf Barrel, just to be safe.

.40 175 gr cast flat nose
    LEE Alox Tumble lube
    5 grains Universal
    CCI 500 Primer or what ever is available.

I have used Magnum primers but It was due to my mistake. Most of the .40 brass I have was shot out of Glocks. It does show a bulge, but it's not severe. The Redding GRX makes quick work of it. I do not use max loads and I inspect the brass regularly.

I have never had a problem and I don't expect one.
  11. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

I thought nearly every gun maker tells owners not to use re-loads. ...? the issue with glocks is their barrels that do not like lead cast bullets ?

there are lots of aftermarket barrels available if you want to use lead cast, however.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Polygonal rifling doesnt do well with cast, and factory glock is polygonal.

The issue with handloads in glocks is the unsupported chamber more than the rifling in the barrel
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

cast bullets do fine, not my first choice, but just be sure to clean the bore well about every, say, 200 rounds. I've not had any leading problems in mine but anytime I shoot lead, I make sure to keep it clean especially with the .40 pressures.

if you use the GRX die every time and stay with low end reloads (and even add an aftermarket barrel with more support) you won't have any glockabooms. (or at least 99.9% of the time... it can always happen even with factory ammo technically)

I had one in my G23 before I knew any better but it was with max loads on old tired brass. Case completely separated with a BIG boom, blew the extractor into the next county and drew some blood on my hand near my thumb but I was OK thankfully and so was the gun after some careful measuring and some new springs and extractor.

If you look at Hodgon's manual, it says 'only for use in guns that fully support the chamber' = Glocks, their little disclaimer. (and Hodgon's manual is on the HOT side to say the least, cross reference everything you got to make sure your load is indeed on the light side)
  14. RAJBCPA

RAJBCPA Member

good info....

Don't the newer gen 3 and gen 4 glocks have fully supported barrels?