GLOCK 23 GUIDE ROD INTEGRITY QUESTION

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by BADASSKIMBER45, Jan 2, 2006.

1. BADASSKIMBER45

BADASSKIMBER45 New Member

First post, long time reader..
    As many of you will judge from my username, I am a 1911 guy, but just got a new G-23 just because and I wanted an ultra simple gun in the house in case of break-in or otherwise.
    My question is posed to the Glock guys among you. I want to know if I should replace the plastic guide rod with a heavier duty unit? And if possible, please tell me why if you think I shouldn't. I have my own ideas as to why I should. Namely, I don't like to look at a broken gun in the middle of a social meeting and have to say "oh CRAP"...
    granted, guns don't really break too often these days what with the superb quality pieces that the companies are coming out with, but it does happen.
    Thanks for any inputs!
  2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter New Member

Have there been problems with the guide rod in the shorter bbl. pistols…shorter action cycling thing?

The only problems with guide rods (in model 22’s) that I’ve seen were when the guns were put through the “sonic-ultra sound” or what ever cleaning vats (I manually clean mine). Two weapons jammed at the range…strange. It was finally traced down to the possibility that the “lubricating” part of the “vat” system left some residue that attracted powder or other stuff on the plastic guide rod from firing and caused the pistols to malfunction. That’s the only time I’ve seen a Glock malfunction with the exception of faulty ammo, and that is rare. After they quit using the cleaning vat the problem disappeared.

This is an interesting question, what problems have you heard of with the model 23? Maybe someone with more experience than me can chime in.

I’m with ya on the 1911, I just got tired of clicking off the safety when we started to make a building entry and my partners saying “Jeez, don’t do that…that’s scary sounding.” And I have a 5# trigger pull on the .45.

Go figure.

So I went to a Glock for duty carry.

Still have the old S&W .357 for a “simple” operating house gun though that everyone can use.
  3. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

No. Why mess with perfection and one of the most reliable guns out of the box?

Attached Files:

4. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I have a Glock 19 with several thousands round through it and i have never had a problem with the guide rod, Come to think of it I have never had a problem period with this weapon.
  5. And that, Dawg, summarizes it quite well indeed, and refers to all Glocks in my humble opinion. I hear Gaston Glock is now up for sainthood and the church is thinking about adding a new book to the New Testament canon: The Book of Glock. :D
  6. BADASSKIMBER45

BADASSKIMBER45 New Member

I appreciate all the replies. To clarify this a little for you guys, the 23 will be my first Glock I have owned, however I have fired many. From 9mm all the way through and including 10 mm. The only caliber I haven't tried I think is a 357 Sig, of which I am a fan and wanted a 32 model, but was persuaded that it might be harder to get shipped on time. I am very impressed with the weapon, and it makes me even happier that the Anchorage PD here uses a 21. I have fired one of theirs too. More accurate than my Kimber Elite Carry, at least for me and my buddy that was with me.
    I didn't mean to imply that there was any problems with the Glocks, only that I have read in an article or 2 and seen the ads for the stainless steel guide rod and spring kits. It looks to me like SS in that part would make more sense than ANY synthetic item, even with Glock's perfection. I have a bit of knowledge of metals being a mechanic, and that knowledge tells me that for a part like a guide rod that is getting severely pounded with every clipful of hot 40's or whatever caliber, that unless somehow the synthetic soaks up shock better or something, then SS would be preferable. Just an observation, nothing more. If someone has a bit more knowledge in the engineering aspects of these fine pistols, please clue this old country boy in. I am looking for knowledge and if I don't need to drop more than my fair share on top of my pistol price, then great, more money for ammo and other junk right?? Thanks for all the replies again guys and please feel free to jump right in here and tell me how it is! Thanks.
  7. BountyHunter

BountyHunter New Member

In my humble and inexperienced opinion...go buy several boxes of ammo, shoot the h#ll out of it, and if it works don't fix it! :D

The fact that many L.E. departments are going/have went to Glocks for the simplicity and reliability that is comparable to wheelguns says volumes.

For concealed I still carry a single stack Colt; the square profile and double stack mag. of the Glock is just a tad much for me under a jacket.

I just wish they could do something about the import restrictions...I would have bought a baby Glock (model 27) instead of the .40 AMT Backup for pocket carry but the AMT was just a tad smaller with the rounded slide and no "finger rests" on the grip. The AMT fits in a pocket a bit better.

There is something about the baby Glock that I don't quite understand. I seem to shoot it better than a full sized model 22.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  8. riverrat27

riverrat27 New Member

I have only heard of one factory guide rod breaking but never experienced a problem with any on my guns (19-21-31-34). I inspect all parts when giving a regular cleaning. Same process for my other make pistols. The bigger advantage to changing the guide rod would be to smooth out the felt recoil where the factory rod tends to flex more.
  9. HadEmAll

HadEmAll New Member

I shot my G23 for several years with the factory plastic guide rod and captured spring with no malfunctions. I replaced it with a Wolff steel guide rod and separate spring a couple of years ago, and have still had no malfunctions. I like the steel guide rod just because.
  10. Peanut Man

Peanut Man New Member

My guide rod was replaced a long time ago with a LaserMax..... Never a problem!
  11. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Peanut stole the words out of my mouth
    If you would feel better repacing them go ahead and get a Lasemax which is a great thing on a home defense gun
  12. omegapd

omegapd New Member

+1

Did the same exact thing. No problems. I figured why not? Cheap upgrade.

EW
  13. Kentuckian

Kentuckian New Member

Hopefully this will answer your question. ;)

[​IMG]
  14. DeaconKC

DeaconKC New Member

My duty weapon is a 23. Several thousand rounds through it without a single malfunction.
  15. shooter

shooter New Member

whats that guy thats in the magazines..Chuck Taylor? the one that has been beating the crap out of a model 17 for the last handful of yrs?

id email him and ask...he has been putting the 17 through hell and back..i would think he would an expert on real world testing of the glock