Glock 23C vs Glock 19

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by highbrow, Jan 31, 2011.

1. highbrow

highbrow New Member

Let me start by saying I currently own a Glock 23C, it is my first firearm I have owned or fired ( I know dont worry I am well trained with it, well I am trained with it ). Anyway I find it to have a few issues.
    1. The size for everyday carry appears to be a little bulky
    2. It is a compensated model so the last few trips to the range I have been using cheaper ammo and notice a much larger flash or fire out of the front of the barrel.
    3. Nose Flip, this model I was told would help cut down on muzzel flip but it appears to be a lot more flip then I excepted, it takes me a moment to readjust to the target.

I am thinking a Glock 19 would be more suited for me and work better being a non compensated model be alot better for everyday carry and home defense. I am curious as the G23c appeared to have a little more kick then a 9mm I except and it appears to be felt more in my arms and face.

for those more well versed is there much of a difference?

thanks, I know I should just go shot the weapon and will but I can land one on a pretty good price and need to act fast.

thanks
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

It's a .40 gun.

A .40 is always going to "kick" more than a 9mm. Compensated or not.

By the way, the 23 and the 19 are the SAME size gun. Same frame. I have a holster that carries both. (It also carries the Glock 36.)
  3. highbrow

highbrow New Member

thank you, I thought the size was a little smaller on the 19, thank you very much
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I'm going to move this down to the centerfire pistols & revolvers bucket. You will get answers there more related to your question than on the what is it worth bucket.

Pops
  5. graehaven

If you want Glock and you want smaller, you'd be looking at the 26 for 9mm and the 27 for .40 - they are a bit shorter in length and height - width the same though.

If you really want to go compact and easy to conceal you cannot go wrong with the Kel-tec P3AT in .380. They also offer two small 9mm guns, one slimmer than the other (PF9). I have the P11.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. dragman

dragman New Member

All I have to say is If I could only own 1 handgun for the rest of my life it would be a Glock 19! I have 1911's worth thousands and wheel guns that are worth even more, but push come to shove the 19 is the most all around best functional gun EVER.
  7. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

BIG NEGATIVE on the P3-AT. I traded mine back to the dealer because it could never get through a full magazine without jamming.
    I spend a lot more time just looking at, holding and aiming my 19 than I do shooting it. It's just the right amount of gun, for everything I want it to do.
    You feel the 23C on your face because of the compensator. If that's unpleasant, you might want to consider an aftermarket barrel without the compensator before you change guns. I don't lust after .40 S&W, but if I had a big investment in ammo, I'd stick with it.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

+1

If the recoil is a problem, try out the 19. They make a compensated model of that too I believe.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i suggest scrapping the 23 all together and going for the 19. not that the 40 caliber is a bad round, but in my opinion a 9mm is a lot easier to shoot then a 40 in the same size gun. i carry a g22 which is the full size 40, but if i was going to go smaller then full size i'd probably go with the 9mm. i'd also ditch the compensator pistol . all the compensator does is mess up your vision, it really doesnt reduce the recoil, it just makes you think it does. by going with the 9mm you also save money on ammo. and you can get them nifty 33 round stick mags, although glock is making stick mags in 40 now
  10. graehaven

Well said.

I have the 23 and love it, but, I got it because I had a bunch of .40 ammo. I also want to get the 19. You can't go wrong with a 9mm these days, the available ammo for self defense is more than adequate.

Wish I could get those full capacity mags here in NY, but, alas, only ten rounders are allowed.
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the only advantage a glock has is the higher ammo capacity (for my at least) if i was limited to 10 rounds i'd drop the glock in a heartbeat and got 1911. not that im not a big fan of the 1911 already, but the glock seems better for fighting any upcoming gun grabbing wars