Glock 27, yes, no, or maybe?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jce07a, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jce07a

jce07a New Member

I am looking at buying a Glock 27 as my CCW. I am looking for opinions, facts, or statements about it. I already have a Glock 23 so i have plenty of .40 ammo, but i have heard that the 27 has quite snappy. I am a pretty good size guy (5'11 230+lbs) so i dont feel that concealing it will be an issue but i dont like a gun thats gonna break my wrist when i take it to the range (because i like to practice with my CCW.

thoughts, opinions, and good places to get ahold of one are welcome.

thanks,
    Jamie
  2. RodinKy

RodinKy Member

I've been carrying one for at least five years, they are very easy to conceal and yes they are snappy to shoot but not wrist breaking snappy. They are light and short and have a tendency to twist a little when you shoot but the recoil is not harsh. Excellent pistol and to make it better have the trigger job done to it and you'll have about 3 1/2 to 4 lb trigger pull. Good luck.
  3. keokeboy

keokeboy Member

I have a 27 for a long time,and yes,it has a twist,but I have a conversion barrel,and mags to shoot 9mm very accurate and fired over 500 rds and not one malfunction.
  4. Whiskey

Whiskey New Member

Its a great carry firearm! If you have the 23 then the 27 should not be that much of a deal imo. Remember the recoil is all subjective to ones person. What feels like a hand cannon to some might feel like 22lr to others. Don't fear the caliber! lol. If you get it shoot it often, practice with it until shooting it becomes a normal experience, and you will do good. But it is a very nice firearm with the option to get the 40 to 9 conversion barrel or the 357 SIG barrel. Able to use the nine round magazine it comes with or its able to use the Glock 11/12 round magazine and the Glock 22 or 23 magazines.
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I agree with the others. The Glock 27 is not a beginners gun, but it is easy enough to master with practice. I say, get one. You might consider the 155 grain .40 S&W load if you're worried about recoil. Federal makes a good one.
  6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Your the only one that nows if its right for you. I had one and simply found that I could fire muli rounds with a 9mm quick and better on target and sold it when cpmpaired to a g 26 . Plus those little glocks are still little bricks. Still have a 40 cal just not a compact. Good house gun.

Oh for a carry gun leave the trigger alone. Find out what happens when fingers on the trigger with a standard or leo trigger .-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HcvIH6GpW8 ( female cop missfires her gun i)s the video on youtube. Way to easy to shoot when you did not mean to under stress.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I have owned both and would like to share my thoughts.

My question would be why buy another ccw weapon when you already have one in the 23?

There is not a huge difference in the dimensions between the 23 and the 27.
    The 27 is only about 1/2" shorter in length, about 3/4" shorter in height, and weighs about 1 1/2 ounces less, unloaded.

I first carried a 23 as my ccw, but I thought the 27 would be a better ccw weapon because it was a little smaller, so I bought one. After carrying it for a while, I decided there was not an appreciable difference in ease or comfort of carrying. On top of that, I did not like the short little grip on the 27. Unless you put a plus 1 or 2 extender on the magazine, you don't feel like you have a really secure grip on the pistol while firing. (This is my opinion only, others here may not be bothered by the shorter grip). If you add the mag extender, then the height is now about the same as the 23. So why not stick with the slightly larger pistol which is easier to hang onto while shooting, thus theoretically helping you shoot more accurately. For this reason, I sold the 27, and went back to carrying my 23. The slightly larger size and weight does not bother me whatsoever when carrying concealed.

This is just my opinion. Unless you're just dead set on getting the 27, I would use the money you would spend on another gun 'toy'.

8. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Maybe as a BUG?
  9. Whiskey

Whiskey New Member

Why buy another ccw firearm? I know having one ccw firearm will never do it all. There are a few reason imo...Back up, better concealment for certain types of clothing, certain types of activities you do - gym, running, etc etc..., certain types of jobs, weather conditions, what you will be doing that day - shopping, friends house, hiking, etc etc. Then there is the "why not?" lol.

Even though hkruss makes some good points to consider, I find it being just the opposite. Like he mentioned those were his experiences and thoughts. These would be my experiences and thoughts about carrying it. At least a 1/2" shorter in length and 3/4" in height makes a huge difference for carry. Some may not think so or notice it but it does. The 26oz (almost 27) fully loaded weight of the 27 compared to a 23's 31oz fully loaded I can't tell I'm wearing the 27 at times. Even with the +2 pinky extensions it is still shorter than the 23. Not by much but still shorter, easy to conceal, and still find it to be a pleasure to carry even on hot days. I find that I shot the same whether I use the +2 extensions (or the Glock 11 round magazines) or without them. Accuracy, they were the same with me. Then again I have shot mine and practiced with it often. Everyone has their own experience who owned one and will draw their own opinion.
    Try renting one at the range or see if a friend has one that he will let you test out at the range. Look around try some out you may like a single stack 40SW from Kahr. I like single stacks for better concealment and easy summer time carry, but to each their own. All in all the Glock 27 is a very good choice.
  10. jce07a

jce07a New Member

great opinions from everyone! i really appreciate it. if i end up purchasing the G27 i plan on putting a +1 or +2 pinky extension on it because the small grip size does bug me. im not really a beginner when it comes to shooting. I have well over 5000 rounds through my G23 and it still shoots like the day i bought it.
    i dont want to carry my 23 as my main carry weapon for a couple reasons: first, it is a bit too heavy for most of my carry purposes. second, my 23 has a streamlight TLR-2s mounted on it and is more for home protection (since it has a nice little spot in my bedside drawer and is packed with hornady critical defense)

i have been looking around for anyone in town that would let me put some rounds through theirs but it seems like nobody in this town has the 27 so i may just have to get ahold of one when i do some traveling later this month.

as for the kahr, i'll look into it but im kind of one of those guys who loves glocks too much haha, im always open to suggestions though.
  11. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

jce, if you are concerned about the short grip, this should help a lot.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=14

If you go to my profile page and look at my picture albums, I have some pictures of this extender installed on my 27 back when I still had it. You can see exactly how it will look and how much more grip area it adds.
    Keep in mind, with this extender, you will have to use a full size magazine with it, as the standard 27 magazines will be too short to use with this.. On the plus side, you're gaining more rounds.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying. HK

12. jce07a

jce07a New Member

awesome product HK, i found something very similar to that, and since ive already got glock 23 mags it shouldnt be hard for me to slap those on there too

i have another question but dont feel its important enough for an entire new thread so ill ask here.

for those who carry glocks (preferably the 23 and/or 27) what holster do you use, and why? (also please include a link if you can)