Glock 38, 45GAP

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bob1010, Jan 23, 2010.

1. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

I am looking at the Glock 38 in 45 GAP caliber. I was wondering if anybody has or had one? I know that the Glocks are suppose to be a fine handgun but how about this somewhat newer caliber 45GAP? I have never owned a Glock before, what are some things to consider as far as a Glock versus other handguns?
  2. kda

kda New Member

I own Glocks and love them. If you want to research a particular model or caliber, here is a great place:
    GlockTalk
    Use the search box at the top to narrow your search and see the threads posted specific to your interests.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Around me, not even all the gun shops carry the .45 GAP. Unless you reload, you'll need to keep ammo availability in mind.
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

Good point, but six months ago, when 45 ACP was nowhere to be found, I saw plenty of GAP on the shelf.
  5. frosty

frosty New Member

I own several Glock pistols.

I will never buy one in .45 GAP:rolleyes:. Glock developed this just to have a .45 caliber pistol in a smaller frame size. All they needed to do was just make their frame smaller.:rolleyes:

I have seen the Glock 38 go very cheaply compared to other Glocks. Its a caliber that you will have to reload for to keep up your skills. Just get a Glock 30 or 36 in .45 ACP and be done with it.

Avoid the GAP like the CLAP......:D.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I would say look around first at the availability of the .45GAP rounds. I've no idea what GAP is.
  7. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

I like them because of the standard 9mm/.40 frame size but uses a .45 projectile. The only reason I haven't purchased one is because of the price of ammo for it is higher than the three common defense rounds, 9mm, .40S&W, and 45acp.
  8. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

GAP = Glock Automatic Pistol

ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol
  9. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Owning a pistol chambered in .45 GAP is similar to owning a pistol chambered in 9mm Largo. The problem is ammunition availability, now and in the future.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am willing to bet a small coffee that there are a lot more pistols around in 9mm Largo than in .45 GAP. I fully expect to see the latter cartridge discontinued in the next few years, unless Glock will subsidize its manufacture. The market is about nil right now, and few shops stock it. Sorry for the folks who bought the guns, but it has happened many times before, and will happen again. (I can't get Morse teat-fire ammo, either, which really makes me mad.)

Jim
  11. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

I am looking at a used glock in the 45gap now with a pretty good price on it. The local gun shop that I use always has gap ammo on the shelves when I go in and look. From what he says, he has not had any problems getting ammo. As popular as the Glocks are I am surprised that this cartridge has not caught on any more than it has:(
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, if you buy the gun stock up on the ammo, don't assume the dealer will always have it. Probably the store once stocked 5mm Remington also.

As others have noted, the .45 GAP was a non-solution to not much of a problem. It allowed Glock to cut some manufacturing costs.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  13. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

Well, I went ahead and got the Glock 38. I got it at a great price so I am happy. I went by the gun shop and got some ammo. They had offerings in the PMC Starfire, Magtech FMJ and JHP, Winchester, Remington, and Corbon. It is a little pricier than some other rounds but not too bad.

I hope to go to the range pretty soon and I will post a post range review in case anybody is interested.
    Thanks for your comments.
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

.45 GAP is a .45 caliber designed for Glock, but it's a shorter to fit in a more compact handgun, and has a stronger neck casing to reduce the possibility of case neck blowouts. It's more or less Glocks version of the .45 and is designed to equal the power of the .45 ACP. According to wikipedia, it's been adopted by a few police departments over the 9x19 and .40 S&W and over the 1911, just because the Glocks are lighter, and the .45 GAP is supposed to mimic the .45 ACP, but is made for a Glock handgun. In my opinion, it may not be a bad choice if .45 GAP is an available, inexpensive ammo. One reason why I chose a .45 ACP as my first gun was because it's pretty available in my area. Every time I'm at the Gander Mountain or Farm & Fleet, they have it. Whereas there is rarely any .357 Magnum or 9x19. And most other ammo is either expensive, or they only sell it in small quantities at high price - such as .380. Sometimes I have an easier time getting .45 ACP than .22LR for my dad's rifle.

I'd say go for it. I plan on buying a Glock if I buy another pistol. Because they're light, have good ammo capacity, I shoot them accurately, and they're inexpensive compared to many other guns. And .45 GAP sounds like a good ammo choice. My only beef with Glocks is the slide stop. I'm a 1911 man, but I would honestly say that Glock is the ultimate handgun when you want everything in one package at a competitive price. I love 1911s, but I would be very satisfied with a Glock.

Good luck and keep us informed on what you decide to get.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  15. donhudd

donhudd New Member

Does this not tell you something?? If people were using 45GAP it would not have been on the shelf! If people are not using a particular cartridge, it becomes obsolete pretty quick.
    JMHO
  16. donhudd

donhudd New Member

Bud's Gun's in Kentucky has Glock 37 in 45 GAP on CloseOut pricing for $379 delivered to your FFL.
  17. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

Finally got to the range with the Glock 38. First time shooting a glock and I was extremely impressed. Not sure if it was just the glock, or the 45gap cartridge. Probably some of both. It was so smooth. It shot great. Good accuracy. No feeding problems. Recoil was not bad at all being a 45 caliber. I also shot a 1911 45acp. It felt much smoother and more managable with the Glock. I was very very pleased. I also shot a Sig 229, a Tanfoglio Witness and a Kahr 40. During my range session the Glock 38 was the smoothest today. All were great shooters with no complaints, but on this day, the Glock is sticking out in my mind. Looking forward to another range test.
  18. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

Georgia arms has 1000 rounds for $360
  19. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

It is fantastic that you are satisfied with your new Glock. I think that the 45 GAP will stick around a little longer than some here are saying. A lot of countries will not permit gun ownership in a gun chambering a military cartridge. The 45 GAP allows for those that are limited by such laws to have a semi-auto pistol in 45 caliber.
  20. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

The minimally used Glock Model 38's that I have seen around here have been going for $229-$259. They have also stayed on the shelves quite a while at those prices. The closeout NIB ones that I have seen have been priced around $339-$359. At those prices they are probably one helluva deal, but as has been otherwise stated I would also make sure that I had a pretty deep supply of rounds for one, as well as a seriously big bunch of the specialized .45 GAP brass to reload.