Glock ACP vs G.A.P.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hodger, Sep 5, 2009.

1. hodger

hodger New Member

My department is in the process of switching from Baretta 40 cals to 45s.
    I've been told that they have narrowed it down to either a SW M&P 45 ACP or a Glock 45 ACP or GAP. I was last told that they are leaning toward the Glock GAP round. I dont know a lot about the GAP round, I would like to hear some opinions of the GAP round and how it stacks up against the 45 ACP.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I believe it was designed in 2002 and has been in production since 2003. I do not believe it is a vey popular cartridge. I do not expect it to be any more popular than 10 mm, looking five years forward.

It operates at about the same pressures as 45ACP +P; and about 10% higher than standard 45 ACP.

My understanding is that it was developed for use in compact size pistols where the longer 45 ACP suffers reliability and ballistic performance problems. It has a performance advantage over regular 45 ACP in short barrel lenghts because of the extra breech pressure, but you can buy 45 ACP +P ammo to get better performance in 4" or shorter barrels.

I would suggest that you type in "45 GAP" from any major search engine and start reading articles.

Personally, I see no advantage to it as a police service pistol cartridge over the 45 ACP +P loadings. Frankly, I do not understand a police agency leaving the 40 S&W for any 45 caliber with a 4" barrel today. No police agency is likely to issue a 1911A1 as a duty pistol, and 4" barrel 45's typically take about a 25% hit in ballistic energy on paper as compared to the 5' barrel of the 1911A1.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

gap has its place. on the shelves at the store, not in my pistol. acp is my choice
  4. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

+1
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The GAP was designed to get .45 ACP performance and hi capacity without making a hi-cap glock too bulky... They are essentially the same cartridge, and furthermore, Springfield armory has thier XD .45 ACP with 13 rd capacity and its one of the most comfortable and accurate .45s I have ever handled, albeit a tad heavy when fully loaded. The GAP in my opinion was and is a waste of time both from a performance and application standpoint. A perfectly good waste of someones engineering mind.