Glock After Market Safety?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 45Auto, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

With a round in the chamber, the Glock's only safety is a trigger within a trigger design, which reminds me of the old 1st and 2nd model Iver Johnson hammerless revolvers. Except that unlike the old revolvers the Glock trigger has a shorter distance to travel before the pistol fires.

One of my friends, who does alot of competition shooting and is a recognized firearms forensic expert has been tellng me to add an aftermarket safety to my .45Glock M 30.

I don't always agree with my "expert" friend but this seems like a good idea. However, I have not looked into the pro's and cons. :confused:

What are your thoughts?
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mess with it. It's a perfect functional design.

Why is there a need for another, add-on, external safety?

Three Safeties

Glocks have three safeties: the trigger safety, the firing pin safety, and the drop safety. The safeties are redundant, keeping the Glock from discharging at any time unless the shooter pulls the trigger.

The trigger safety is a small button on the face of the trigger which keeps the trigger from moving backwards (and thus firing the weapon) unless pressed straight back during a normal pull. This helps keep the trigger from moving backwards when dropped or if something gets in the trigger guard.

The firing pin safety is a small device in the slide of the gun which blocks the striker from moving forward. This device is moved out of the way automatically when the trigger is pulled. So unless the trigger is pulled, there is no way the firing pin can strike the primer on a chambered round.

The drop safety is part of the trigger housing inside the receiver. It is a small "shelf" which a part of the trigger mechanism called the cruciform must overcome in order for the striker to release. Therefore, even if the trigger safety and firing pin safety malfunction and the gun is dropped, it cannot go off.
    source: http://www.f-r-i.com/glock/misc/overview.htm#safeties
  3. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Would you be more comfortable carrying it with a round in the chamber as-is or with an additional safety installed?
  4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

They make a wedge shaped plastic piece that fits behind the Glock trigger preventing the trigger from being pulled. When you need it, the wedge is simply pushed out by the same finger that pulls the trigger.
  5. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Are you referring to the Saf-T-Block for Glocks?

Personally, I am comfortable carrying one in the chamber without the external safety. I just keep my booger picker off the bang-bang switch until I'm ready to pull the trigger. Adding the Saf-T-Block means that my finger would have to be near the trigger before I'm ready to shoot, which I view as a bad idea.
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I have not seen the type of safety which my friend recommends. However, the Saf-T-Block looks interesting, though $20.00 for something you are going to eject seems a little stiff.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Thanks graehaven for the post.
    I dont own a Glock, but have wondered and have heard people talking
    about the 3 saftey's, but now I know.
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I agree,You have to carry one in the chamber in my book,what happens if you dont and you only have one hand then your in trouble. I carry my glock cocked and locked all the time.I have no problems at all.It is a very safe weapon.
  9. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

The redundant safeties in the Glock are all very clever but they are all bypassed by one thing - pulling the trigger. I had another post on this forum in which I told of something I had read about. It seems that some guy carried his Glock in a well-worn leather belt holster and when he got into his car a small flap on the holster bent and pushed the trigger blowing a hole in his leg. A second safety system not associated with the trigger would have improved his day.

I always had the feeling that a trigger was intended to make a gun go BANG and not supposed to be counted on to PREVENT it from going BANG. I also always had this feeling that a thumb safety was pretty easy to operate - especially those ambidextrous doohickeys they have nowadays. Just me, I guess.
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

There are two basic types of aftermarket manual safety devices for Glock pistols. First is the type that installs a "safe-up, fire-down" lever on the left side of the pistol above the grip. This does require some gunsmithing and may void the Glock warranty. The other is the SiderLock replacement trigger that has a side-to-side push button on the trigger itself similar to some SKB shotguns.

I would suggest that if you have worked with the Glock quite a bit, you will have to relearn the gun with the safety installed lest you pull the trigger and get nothing when you want 'bang.'
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Sounds like he had a faulty holster not a faulty glock,but you got buy what your comftable with
  12. Lorsp

Lorsp New Member

I have a Glock 17 gen4 and i am perfectly happy with its internal safeties. this prevents it from being fired if dropped, but not if you pull the trigger. The important thing, i believe, is to to remember that this is a Glock, and that the best safety is the one in your mind. Just don't touch the trigger until you want to. :)
  13. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

There is a stiff plastic holster made for the Glock by Fobus. It looks like it would do a good job of protecting the trigger.
  14. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I see there are various "generations" of the Glock. How do you tell which generation you have?
  15. ProtectorRoss

ProtectorRoss New Member

The Glock handguns are superb pieces of modern engineering. Please do not mess one up with an after market safety as it is already one of the safest pistols on the market today.