Glock cast boolit help, please

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by howlnmad, Jun 2, 2009.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I have a friend that wants me to reload some .40 S&W rounds with cast round nose boolits. Will this cause a feeding problem for a Glock model 27:confused:? Any help will be greatly appreciated.:eek:
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

It may not cause a feeding problem but the gun could possibly blow up in his hand.
    Glocks have hexigonal rifling and it is strongly recomended that unjacketed bullets are not to be used. If your friend has purchased an after market barrel designed for lead bullets hhe would be ok.

Lead builds up quickly in the hexigonal barrels causes extreme pressures. The barrels do not fully support the case and case ruptures and barrel ruptures are the result.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Well, already a few views and no replies yet on this one, kind of a touchy subject IMO. Just my take on it, but I wouldn't shoot lead in a Glock and I DEFINETLY wouldn't let anyone else shoot my reloads in a Glock. If they don't know to check for leading and go shooting a couple boxes of lead, there could be problems. Me personally, but I don't like to shoot lead .40's at all. GNut would probably be a good voice to listen to on this one.
  4. Never shoot leads through a Glock barrel, howln. :eek: Glock barrels are not rifled in the traditional way, but instead use a hexagonal rifling. Lead slugs will destroy the accuracy of the barrel very quickly.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

unless the glock in question has an after market bbl that is traditionally rifled, or button rifled, shooting lead in a glock bbl will cause the lead to foul in such a way that it would cause excessive pressure and could result in the gun blowing up. if it was just one round i wouldnt shoot it in a glock.

~john
  6. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Reloading for someone else is a bad idea. Friends don't always stay friends when something involving an injury happens. If the injury is bad enough, mothers, wives, fathers and brothers probably won't understand.
    Prosecuting civil attorneys, however, do understand. This may all sound improbable, but once something happens that may not be your fault at all, you are the one that will get the first and most attention.
    Its a definite roll of the dice. Think about it hard before pulling that press handle.

Latigo
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Now, this will never really matter to me, because I don't like 'em, so I won't own one. But just to increase my knowledge.

Are you saying that the lead will destroy the accuracy, because the funky rifling leads up easily, quickly making no rifling at all, so your accuracy goes to hell, but when you clean the barrel the accuracy comes back?

Or are you saying that shooting lead will destroy the accuracy of the barrel - might as well throw the barrel away as it will never shoot good anymore?

If the second - why is that?
  8. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Been hearing the warnings for quite awhile about lead through a Glock. (Should I tell my G17 that it can't eat lead anymore?) Maybe I'v been the exception, but I have not had a single problem in several thousand rounds. Yes, still the factory barrel, and yes, its still quite accurate. I've watched for lead build-up, but haven't seen it yet. It does get cleaned now and then though. My bullets are sized to .356 and lubed, and are not under-charged but aren't overly hot. I would be leary in your situation, though. 1: most people say don't use lead in a Glock. 2: You can be held liable if anything happens to the person (or property) while using your handloads. 3: More KBs have occured with a .40S&W than any other cartridge, mainly Glocks and XDs. Personally, If I were you, I wouldn't do it.
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I want to thank each and every one of you for your help and advise and will certainly pass this info along.

10. It's never a good idea to shoot bare lead bullets from your Glock, even though you might not experience immediate problems. There are two basic reasons for this. The first is that the polygonal rifling in a Glock barrel really grips the bullet tightly, and this causes lead bullets to leave heavy deposits of lead when the gun is fired. Heavy deposits of lead can lead to over-pressure problems. Over-pressure problems can lead to nasty things like case failures. The second reason is that where the chamber meets the bore there is a sharp full edge, whereas standard rifling does not have such a pronounced edge. This edge can shave off lead from the bullet and cause a headspace problem, i.e., the round will not fully seat. Again, this can lead to things like a case failure. Shoot plated or jacketed bullets only.
  11. miestro_jerry

miestro_jerry New Member

For my stock Glocks, I load factory bullets, if I want to shoot lead I have to switch over to a Bar Sto barrel

Jerry
  12. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

The biggest problem with people shooting lead in a Glock pistol is they shoot the wrong size bullet and that causes the leading. For example most people will buy a 9mm lead bullet off the shelf sized to .356. With the rifling in the Glock barrel the lead bullet should be .358 or close. I have friends that have shot lead bullets in Glocks for years without any problems. If you have a stock Glock barrel and want to see what I'm talking about slug the barrel. A lot of this information came from a Glock Armorer that told me it is perfectly safe to shoot lead in a Glock barrel if done right.
    Rusty