Glock Safety

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/22/01 7:58:28 am)
    | Edit | Del All Glock Safety
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm going to open a can of worms. I don't mean to insult anyone. I have owned a couple of Clock pistols and have a few friends who own and shoot them in competition. So , here goes. During a weapons retention class I did last year, everytime a Glock was taken away from a student, they were "shot" with it. ( due to no external safety ) Knowing this, how, comfortable are you carrying your Glock ? Shooter

M Opaliski
    M Opaliski
    (2/22/01 10:04:35 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Glock Safety
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I do not carry a Glock anymore, however, when I did I was very comfortable with it. The Glock Safe Action Pistol can be one of the safest pistols on the market, provided it is given the respect that it commands, such as does any firearm.

The fact that there are no external safties such as a beavertail or thumb safety is part of what makes it an appealing fiearm. There are no hooks and or levers to snag when drawing ... at the same time, for a beginner or a novice there are no extra parts to become familiar with while learning the pistol.

In my opinion, it is an ideal weapon for self defense ... the Glock is made for close quarter combat, it is a point shooters dream, I was trained on the point shooting techniques from the start, target shooting came later ... using the sights in a heated self defense confrontation is not goinmg to happen.

I did feel safe with the glock and would carry one again, hard to beat that package.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/22/01 11:47:29 am)
    Matt, I agree with everything you said. I was thinking in terms of your pistol being taken away by someone and used against you. No manuel safety or de-cocker to fumble with would help them get of a shot very quickly as opposed to a Sig or similar weapon with manual safety features.

M Opaliski
    M Opaliski
    (2/22/01 12:42:28 pm)
    The same could be said for just about any firearm, given a minimal knowledge by the person invloved in the struggle. I suppose that this is one of the risks involved with carrying concealed ... I will take it every day. The risk of not being armed far out weighs the risk of having my firearm used against me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Alphamale
    (2/26/01 9:56:58 pm)
    I'm very comfortable carrying Glocks. If someone tries to disarm me, as I understand it, it's a justifiable shoot situation( okay that didn't come out right, but I think everyone will understand).<-- If I'm wrong about this, please let me know. Or you always have the option of dumping the mag and putting the chambered round into the ground. If I ever get uncomfortable about this, I'll carry a Browning HP with mag disconnect safety, and just drop the mag. No mag, no bang. Just my $.02
    If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/26/01 11:53:03 pm)
    Alphamale, That's the same thing I would do IF I had control of the weapon long enough.

TYRVR
    TYRVR
    (2/27/01 8:12:44 am)
    Glocks...........................

Akin to riding A Honda Motor Cycle,Or Kissing A really Ugly Girl,..........Feels good, until some of Your Friends see You doing it!

Alphamale
    (2/27/01 10:26:51 am)
    Ah, ok Shooter, now I see. You mean if you're gonna lose the gun too quickly to do anything about it. Just RUN FOR COVER real fast . From what I've seen of drive bys and police shootouts BG's can't hit anything over 2 feet away.
    Then the question is: do you hit the BG before you run, try to stun him, or just stun him with amazing speed of retreat?

Rons Toys
    (2/27/01 1:11:46 pm)
    That is why some people like to carry the HK P7, unless you know how it works, it's hard to use.
    Ron

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/27/01 1:21:41 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Ron
    Welcome aboard Ron!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/28/01 12:09:08 am)
    Ron, I think that's the point I'm trying to make. Even with a 1911 thumb safety, someone who hasn't handled that weapon is not very familier with it. Giving you a chance for a head butt to the nose , heal of palm to nose ,or the old fingers - thumb in the eyes trick. Giving you a chance to regain your weapon or run. Alf, I hate to run. I had rather stand an fight unless over matched. Don't take long to tell.

Alphamale
    (2/28/01 3:25:30 pm)
    I agree with you Shooter, I hate running. If I want a workout I'll just go to the gym.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/22/01 10:45:02 am)
    Now that we have more members, does anyone else have any comments to add ?

AntiqueDr
    (4/22/01 10:51:31 am)
    Revolvers haven't had external safeties for about a billion years. Why would this just be a Glock issue?

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/22/01 11:55:28 am)
    Perhaps because the topic of discussion is " Glock Safety".

AntiqueDr
    (4/22/01 3:28:05 pm)
    That might be the title of the thread, but that's not the issue.

The issue is getting shot with a Glock that has been taken away from you. My point is that it is no more an issue with the Glock than it is with a S&W revolver or a Colt percussion Dragoon for that matter. If your weapon retention skills/practices are such that this is a significant concern then you are much better off honing those skills than worrying about whether you can drop the mag during the struggle or operate a thumb safety.

Sure, there have been anecdotal incidents where mag disconnects and thumb safeties HAVE made a difference but I would suggest that proper tactics and preparation have made the difference far more often. Hence, the purpose of the weapon retention class.

It amazes me the number of people that express concern over this issue specifically with the Glock, yet those same people specifically RECOMMEND double-action revolvers to novice pistol-packers who are more likely to have the retention problem.

I personally do not like the Glock as a carry piece, but for other, purely subjective reasons.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com