Glock Sub-Compact and pinky finger

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by questor, Jan 15, 2010.

1. questor

questor New Member

Many videos on "youtube" regarding the pinky finger shooting the sub-compact Glock. Everyone has a technique, but none uses Point & Shoot.

Dang, didn't they ever hear of Point & Shoot? Recall when you were a little guy shooting with your index finger, well prior to my retirement from the military point & shoot was being taught to our teams. You point with your index finger at a target and pull the trigger with your middle finger.

You will be amazed at how accurate the method is in close combat. Night or day, simply point and fire.

Doesn't work with all semi-automatic weapons, but certainly works for the Glock. Why you ask, well that is a good question: the pointer finger must be out of harms way. The ejected casting will certainly cause pain. :)
  2. outburst402

outburst402 New Member

I've never heard of this technique, but I'll be sure to try it next time I shoot my baby glock.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

interesting, gonna have to try that one
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

I was introduced to 'point and shoot' about 10 years ago. I use it, and it works well.

I have seen the method brought up before only to have it ridiculed, so it's nice to see some open minds that are willing to give it a try.

Of course, as mentioned above, it does not work well with all guns.
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

A lot of shotgunners use that technique with pretty good success. I didn't learn that way so maybe thats why I never cared for it, regardless of the firearm. Every person has a slightly different method that works for them. And it never hurts to try something new, as it may just work better than you'd expected.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

questor, glad you brought that up. I'd seen that on a T.V program a long time back and thinking at the time I'd try that and it had left my mind since then. Now this refreashed my thought on having to try that.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I've taught point and shoot since i was taught it 30 + years ago
    as we grow we learn hand/eye co-ordination in life , without thinking,

try it

look straight ahead then point your index at something to your left then right , then left again,

didn't think you where so good did you?!?!?!

well done!

now go to the range and repeat but straight ahead unless you get the ok from the range boss

cheers

jack

ps

do check that your action is compatible unless you want a scared finger like me, but now i have a callous there so..
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  8. questor

questor New Member

Just selected one of many Drills/Tips to aid one in P&S. There is no doubt Jack404 with his 30+ years experience is the go-to-man for any questions on drills/tips. Practice, practice and practice.

DRILLS

Some drills to help your point-shooting skills. The best way to optimize your unsighted ability is to quickly adapt to where bullets are landing (if it lands high or left, adjust your point accordingly for follow up shots). Adapt these drills, and practice as many of these as you can from the close contact position, as this will be the most likely use of such a skill. As these are close quarters combat drills, multiple follow up shots are encouraged and rapid fire practice is a beneficial skill as well.

1. Position yourself 3-yards away from a large (10+ inch) target. In a lowered gun stance (safe-carry position), pull your gun up, as quickly as possible, to firing position and fire multiple shots into the target. Do not use your sights! This drill is to get you less dependent on your sights.
    * It may take quite a few tries, but you will find you eventually can place that bullet near the center of your target every time.
    * The key is to try to perform it quickly, but try to take just enough time to allow the momentum of your arms and gun to slow as you get to the target.
    * Attempt to stretch your abilities by increasing the distance to the target, or decreasing the time you have to fire. Try to get good hits. A slow hit is always better than a fast miss.

2. Practice with multiple targets. You want to start by setting up three or more targets a yard or two apart. Quick to firing position and go down the line. One shot at each target.
    * Change it up: fire a burst at each target; maybe try in a different order; have a friend tell you which one to shoot ("one!", "three!", etc.), but the key thing to be sure of is that you hit your target; once you are sure you can hit your target every time, try to accelerate your pace.
    * Try it from the close contact position at 3- then 5-yards. See how quickly you can change between targets and how many bullets land in "good hit" zones.

3. Practice while moving. While moving, you should still be able to hit targets at 5-yards. Set up three or more targets a few yards apart from each other. Start about 15-18 yards back. Run up to about 5-yards (from your first target) while drawing your gun to firing position. Fire a two-shot burst, side-step to engage the next target, and so on.
    * Each time you run the course, try to do it faster; try not to pause when shooting, but remember that doing so will likely make you much more accurate.
    * Try drawing when 3- or 5-yards away from the first target. Once you have landed good hits on the first target sidestep and move down the line of targets.

TIPS
    /B]
    * Accuracy and speed in both point-shooting and flash sighting can be greatly improved by a methodical, and well executed draw of the handgun.
    * Point-shooting is much less efficient at greater distances. Studies done at police departments have shown that officers trained with flash sighting rather than point-shooting take about one-tenth of a second longer for the first shot, but land about four times as many good hits on target.
    * Point-shooting abilities vary greatly between different people. It is a matter of dexterity and hand-eye coordination. Do not be afraid of being closer to your target while practicing. But remember in real life, distance benefits the person with a ranged weapon, or the trained shooter (that's you). So putting distance between you and your target, then using a sighted shot may be the best tactic.

http://www.wikihow.com/Point-Shoot-a-Pistol-%28Handgun%29
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Now thats extremely interesting Jack. I have never tried that p&s method, but definatly going to get the pistol out today. Thanks for the post!

Zane