Glock vs Taurus

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/12/02 11:00:26 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Glock vs Taurus
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been looking at buying a subcompact 9mm for some time now and have narrowed my choices down to either a Glock 26 or a Taurus PT111. I was just wondering what you guys thought about the two and would like to know if ya'll think the Glock is worth the extra money for a non LEO.( with that statement I mean someone who will never shoot the gun as much as a LEO would.)

What do ya think?????????

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/12/02 11:09:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Glock vs Taurus
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is this going to be for carry/self defense????

AntiqueDr
    (1/12/02 11:27:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Glock vs Taurus
    Actually, most armed citizens shoot more often than most LEO's.

If I had to choose between the Glock and the Taurus, I'd choose Kahr.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Alphamale
    (1/12/02 11:33:37 am)
    I'd choose the Glock, but that's just me. The Tarus is a decent gun. I believe it was Matthew that had a Tarus and said the trigger pull was bad on them. Ski?
    As I rescue those in danger, Lord, may I have no fear.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/13/02 12:19:14 am)
    Yes, this is gonna be my carry gun.

The glock is the gun that I think I prefer but took a look at the taurus at the gun show the other week and it looked like a nice gun for the money.

Don't LEO's practice very much???

LIKTOSHOOT
    (1/13/02 10:28:13 am)
    Shane, since this will be a carry gun.....in 9mm, I will have to go with Doc on his choice. Hard to beat the Kahr, for compact and reliability. These are fast becoming the new compact carry and have a proven track record already. Well built, accurate, reliable, and tough. #1 choice for sub-compact. LTS

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/13/02 9:13:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Glock or Taurus
    Shane, If you dont mind mtcw, A few friends of mine have the Taurus PT111, " NOT A VERY GOOD WEAPON ", there words.
    Even though I dont like glock, its a much better weapon, but if I were you and had the money, I would go with what AntiqueDr says.

jmho.

loader44.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/13/02 9:56:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Glock or Taurus
    Thanks for the info guys!! I knew the Taurus wouldn't be as good of a gun as the Glock but having never fired one I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've never taken a look at a Kahr before or priced one but now you all have given me somthing good to research. I'm gonna look around online at them and check one out at the next gun show if I can't find one at a gun shop around here.

A while back I almost bought a Talon 9mm. I thought it might be a good cheap gun to carry,till I got my hands on one at the gun show in Hickory N.C. I now believe they are just cheap!! Glad I didn't go ahead and order one now!!!!!!!
    I spent my money on two shoulder holsters instead. One for my Colt and one for my S&W 357. (money well spent in my book)

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (1/14/02 7:41:45 am)
    Stay away from the Talon. I sold one a while back and it was brought back a short time later with a cracked slide. Talon made up the pistol and says the problem is corrected.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/14/02 9:52:21 pm)
    I think the Talon company may not be in business for long if they do not improve the quality and overall fit and finish of their line of guns.

bg
    (1/16/02 8:53:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Dillion gives it a thumbs up
    Mike Dillion od Dillion Reloading Products gives the new
    Kahr P40.I know that a 40 has a little more kick than
    a 9mm but I believe one can get used to it.The Kahr
    is a polymer and steel frame gun.It's double-action
    with a 6 1/2 to pull back and fire.I think I might get
    one of Kahr's products,all I've heard is good things
    about em.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/16/02 9:58:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Dillion gives it a thumbs up
    I've been doing alot of searching around and everything I can find about a Khar has been positive. They are to me, a nice looking gun also. Still haven't made up my mind yet between one of them or a Glock but I'm gonna get a chance to take one ( Khar ) out shooting soon and That should decide where my money is gonna go.

tuckerd1
    (1/17/02 7:38:06 am)
    Get a 1911A1 and don't look back!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/02 8:58:58 pm)
    tuckered1, I've been there and done that, but it is heavier than what I want as a carry gun.

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/02 10:49:56 pm)
    shane,

If your shooting buddies don't already have guns you can try out, have you tried renting?

Local ranges often rent guns for $7-$12 per session. Davi's in Raleigh has quite a selection, .22 up to .454! Might be a good way to actually shoot before you buy. Don't know about gun shops/ranges out your way, however. Here's my dark horse recommendation for a compact semi-auto: firestar.

Their single stack, in 9mm, .40, and .45 quite concealable. The firestar plus, 13+1 double stack still small. I've seen them on gunbroker auctions for less than $200 used, on occasion.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/19/02 11:42:55 pm)
    Hammer, there aren't any ranges that rent guns close to me that I know of. Charlotte maby??? but that is an hour from here.

Glad to see another Tarheel around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you don't want to say where you live on the net I understand. But I was wondering where you call home? I'm in Morganton.

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/22/02 10:59:28 pm)
    hey shane,

I live in Knightdale, outside Raleigh. I use Davi's pistol range (Raleigh); don't know much about the Charlotte scene. I haven't joined up with a outdoor rifle range yet...the few gun clubs around raleigh can be quite expensive. While I'd prefer to find an "informal" range setup (sandpit or such), in Wake county they're getting scarce, with all the housing developments.

Alphamale
    (1/23/02 9:10:59 am)
    Carolina Sportsman in Rock Hill has a used Kahr at their gun range.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/25/02 8:36:33 pm)
    Alpha, You don't live too far from me and Hammer do ya?
    I think I once saw that you lived in S.C. or was that someone
    else?

anyway, I wanted to say thanks for all the info. that you guys have given me.

P.S. please keep me posted if any of you see any good deals on a kahr P9 or Glock 26. At this point I'm not gonna rule out either one if I can find a good used one or a heck of a good deal one a new gun. The way I see it I'll just end up owning both someday anyway.

Alphamale
    (1/26/02 12:04:02 am)
    I live 20 minutes south of Charlotte, just over the NC/SC border. I'll ride up to firepower in Matthews tomorrow and see what they have and post it.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/26/02 1:00:52 am)
    Thanks Alpha!!!!!!!!!!!!