The Firearms Forum banner

Glock with no plastic?

Tags
glock
3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  johnlives4christ 
#1 ·
i seen an add in the back of a gun magazine recently for a company that makes aluminum grip frame assemblies for glocks. i think this would be pretty cool, be heavier, but definately a conversation piece. anyone know of this?

i have always thought it would be freaking awesome if Glock made a polymer framed 1911, they would have to embed metal in the frame for the feed ramp, not sure about other parts, as it's been a while since i've inspected a 1911 thoroughly. unlikely to happen, but i think it would pretty cool to see.

~john

#3 ·
The real question is...Why? One of the things Glocks are noted for is their ability to fire thousands and thousands of rounds with very little wear and tear on those metal inserts in the polymer lowers.

Glocks work very well in the role they were designed for. Why do people keep trying to take things out of their designed roles....putting them in an unintended category and then trashing them thourally when they seem less capable in the UNintended role? Its like putting bombs on a stealth fighter and missiles on the B-52... Why do people keep doing that?

There are different numbered screw drivers... use the one that fits the job people... sheesh. :rolleyes:

mike
gn

#4 ·
I believe Wilson and Charles Daly offer polymer framed 1911's. The closest glock will probably ever come is the G36 single stack .45...but who knows...maybe glock will also make a revolver someday.

cb
i havent had any experiance with any of them, i have seen a few pictures, but it looks to me like the ones i have seen are wider than normal....

besideds this was just an afterthought i added, people that love glocks and hate 1911's would get all in a twist... that would be amusing for me to watch

really i was wondering about the aluminum glock frames i have seen.

#5 ·
The real question is...Why? One of the things Glocks are noted for is their ability to fire thousands and thousands of rounds with very little wear and tear on those metal inserts in the polymer lowers.

Glocks work very well in the role they were designed for. Why do people keep trying to take things out of their designed roles....putting them in an unintended category and then trashing them thourally when they seem less capable in the UNintended role? Its like putting bombs on a stealth fighter and missiles on the B-52... Why do people keep doing that?

There are different numbered screw drivers... use the one that fits the job people... sheesh. :rolleyes:

mike
gn
hello mike,
well i just think it would be cool, to see if it would hold up, to see if people would accept it, and also i think it would hilarious in a way as well because a lot of people argue about which design is better, but the are both excellent i know glock makes an excellent product and they are extremely wear resistant. i didnt mean to sound as if i would like to see a glock 1911 fail, nor that i want to put glocks in any category then they one they are already in, one of the best pistols ever made. . what i really wanted was to see if any of the glock folks here have tried the aluminum frames, if they are any count or just junk, the glock 1911 thing is just something that was an afterthought, that i have thought i would like to see for some time.

G
#6 · (Edited)
Oddly it's not the plastic frame that puts me off Glocks anyway, unless were talking to Pistol that is. It's the lack of a manual safety and exposed hammer, both of which I happen to favour on a handgun.

As for why make an ally, or indeed steel frame? To sell more stuff, why else?

#8 ·
boy this is going to hurt but glocknut is 100% correct , why mess with perfection. ok i admit it the glock does what it's designed to do and does it better than most. i really have, no issue with a plastic gun it's the same for me as for tranter no hammer no safety. and please that thingy on the trigger is not a safety. there are more glocks in police holsters than any other brand which is a stake in the heart of smith and wesson and if for no other reason thats enough reason to love glocks

G
#9 · (Edited)
there are more glocks in police holsters than any other brand
And a lot of cops get shot with their own gun. It's the problem I have with the Glock, it's is like a revolver, you just point and press. At least with a safety you have a moment to counteract. I have seen a gun grab, turn and fire up close, it's so fast you wont believe it.

I can and have worked with a huge range of firearms, and I just have my preferances.

#10 ·
"Why?" you ask? Because it seems to be in our nature to 'tweek' things and change them about. Folks shouldn't try to trash these efforts when they don't work out, though.

"there are more glocks in police holsters than any other brand" A wonderful example of a 'bid' gun!

I dont' care for 'em; not because of the plasta-poly frame. They just don't fit my hand well and the trigger feels mushy-like.

#12 ·
bid i think is a good reason, the other reason that glocks are such a poplular leo weapon is because you can train a complete idiot how to use one in about 10 minutes.

#13 ·
Oddly it's not the plastic frame that puts me off Glocks anyway, unless were talking to Pistol that is. It's the lack of a manual safety and exposed hammer, both of which I happen to favour on a handgun.

I don't mind the lack of a manual safety or the lack of an exposed hammer, it's just that Glocks don't fit my hand well at all. I love my P99 and it's a hammerless polymer-framed pistol with no external safety, althought it does have a cocking indicator on the back of the frame where a hammer would go. Although in a SHTF situation, I would pick up a Glock if need be because I know with decent ammo, it will go "BANG" when I pull the trigger.

It's all a matter of preference. As long as someone is happy with whatever pistol, I'm just glad that people are still into shooting.:D

#14 ·

Tranter Glocks do not have an exposed hammer. In reality they don't even have a hammer as they are striker fired. As for an exposed hammer ----- well they are on the majority of revolvers and most people don't have issue with that.

No safety is one of the selling points of a Glock for me. And the safety on the 1911 is also a selling point for me. Gosh am I happy or what?

As for Aluminium framed Glocks, I think the frame is after amrket and if I remember correctly they are the cost of 2 new Glocks.

#15 ·
bid i think is a good reason, the other reason that glocks are such a poplular leo weapon is because you can train a complete idiot how to use one in about 10 minutes.
Whoa... that could be interpreted the wrong way.... :eek::D:rolleyes:

hello mike,
well i just think it would be cool, to see if it would hold up, to see if people would accept it, and also i think it would hilarious in a way as well because a lot of people argue about which design is better, but the are both excellent i know glock makes an excellent product and they are extremely wear resistant. i didnt mean to sound as if i would like to see a glock 1911 fail, nor that i want to put glocks in any category then they one they are already in, one of the best pistols ever made. . what i really wanted was to see if any of the glock folks here have tried the aluminum frames, if they are any count or just junk, the glock 1911 thing is just something that was an afterthought, that i have thought i would like to see for some time.
I know...i just get testy sometimes... :rolleyes:

mike
gn

#16 ·
I wouldn't want one because they wouldn't be as robust. Drop a plastic Glock and the plastic frame deflects and goes back into shape. Drop an aluminum Glock and the metal could bend permanently or be more easily marred.

I know, I know... Don't drop it. :D

#17 ·
ponycar that is a good point i havent though of, when i had my glock 17 i dropped it on asphalt. i had emptied it and was reholstering it and i fumbled it i guess. didnt hurt it lick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.