Glocks and Mausers....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by polishshooter, Aug 17, 2007.

?

Pick TWO guns, one type of rifle, one handgun below that you PREFER the most....

1. Any German made Mauser...

51.6%
  2. Any Russian Mosin Nagant OR Any English Enfield....

45.2%
  3. Any pistol made or designed by by Glock

19.4%
  4. Any 1911 or 1911A1 designed by Browning.

71.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Hey, I STUMBLED on something in my mind, after all the discussion over 7.62 NATO vs .308 Winchester, CETMES, Guardia Civils, etc....

SOOOoooo...let's see if I'm onto something here....:p :cool: :cool: :cool:

I WISH we could have more choices, the poll was tough.....I GUESS what I am trying to see is if there is a connection between the "Mauser Lover Disease" and the "Glock Derangement Syndrome....":cool: :p :D :D :D
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Enfiled and Glock
  3. polishshooter

Well, SS, you might be the "Exception that proves the rule."

Although, to tell you the truth, as much as I have heard that phrase, I'm STILL not sure what the heck it MEANS...:p
  4. If it's German or Austrian built, it's beautifully engineered and highly reliable! :D ;) :p
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Since you didn't specify military....

A pre-WWII commercial Mauser "sporter" in .30-06.....and a nice custom Wilson or Les Baer.
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Xracer has good taste in guns, same as mine.:D
  7. More properly, Polish, the question should be, "Is there an intellectual and aesthetic interconnection between those who appreciate fine weapons like the Mauser rifles and Glock pistols?" The answer is obviously "yes." Only such people, due to a rare but innate sense of engineering excellence, are capable of truly appreciating the utter genius that went into the design of both Mausers and Glocks. It is also true that those who are blessed with such sensitivity, rare as it is these days, exist on a much higher plane of reality than, say, those who--so sadly--believe Mosin Nagant rifles are the epitome of firearms design. Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do! :D ;) :p
  8. k98k792

k98k792 New Member

Mauser and Sig Sauer would be my choice.
  9. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Enfield, but you knew that was coming from me....

As for so called "handguns", now I don't know. I DO know that all the guns I played with as a kid were plastic and now that I'm grown, I'd like something made of metel. :D
  10. Bunny, do you like Holland and Holland too? :D ;)
  11. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Nice try Pistol. Trying to get me to admit a fondness for H&H bolts, based on the Mauser? I prefer a nice Parker Hale if a professionaly built sporter is my aim.
  12. Curses! Foiled again. :D ;) But, Bunny, Holland and Holland builds some of the finest sporting rifles in the world, especially if you want a double rifle. Of course, so does Mauser. ;) Funny thing, I don't remember any Enfields chambered for .416 Rigby or .600 Nitro. Must be that weak bolt. :rolleyes:
  13. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Pistol, a funny thing just happened when I was "getting ready" to reply to your "weak bolt" crack. As I took of my wrist-watch to facilitate typing, my roomate looked over and said, "someone just bad mouthed 'your rifles' again, didn't they?". Funny how I only take the watch off to go toe to toe with you about rifles, or when I'm walking home at night and start to feel that the guy walking behind me has been there too long, trying to be discreet. :D

Now that that is said; I don't need a strong, clunky, slow Mauser action to fire .303Brit and that's all the fire-power I need. The Brit War Ministry felt the same way, that the .303 was plenty of fire power and far from being a "weak bolt", the Enfield bolt was perfectly tailored to the round IT WAS INTENDED to fire. It is fast, smooth, reliable, simple and plenty strong. Sure the Mauser bolt is stronger with all those locking lugs front and rear, and it can fire some HUGE calibres, but as far as being a superior military arm because it can fire monster shells, naw, I never heard of the Krauts lobbing bullets the size of C cell batteries across the lines. :p :rolleyes:

But yes, if I ever feel so inclined to fire something like .600H&H NE, I'll buy a Mauser actioned rifle(feeling dirty the whole time) and go hunt some T-Rexs. I'm off now to try and find the articles I read a while back about the old "Adventurer/Hunter" who used the Enfield in .303Brit quite successfully to take quite a few elephants on the Dark Continant. What WAS his name? Heckuva guy and great taste in rifles. :cool: :D
  14. polishshooter

WHY when discussing "Combat Rifles" to the Mausernuts" ALWAYS have to refer to all the copies and clones that make great TARGET ot SPORTING rifles?

Kinda like Liberal Democrats ALWAYS trying to change the argument to THEIR terms...while avoiding the issue at hand...

Like WHY when we discuss "Combat Rifle" the Mauser guys ALWAYS lead us to Africa and Elephants and the .416 Rigby or something like that?;) We'll give you that, hands down, no argument, the Mauser is HIGHLY effective, maybe even the BEST rifle ever MADE, to use against game that doesn't shoot back...kinda like the Great German Stuka, arguably the BEST dive bomber ever made, as long as the targets were DEFENSELESS...;):)

YES, X, it was intended to be MILITARY rifles...:p

So lessee if I have this right, if I want to be impressed by artistic expression and theoretical masterpieces of gunsmithing genius that can be improved or converted to shoot extremely well three or maybe five shots into a really SMALL group, or maybe place a killing shot with some African cartridge once or twice on a game animal, and not REALLY care if the darn thing is effective on the battlefield, or can stand up to thousands of rounds in training and/or on the battlefield, I'm supposed to like MAUSERS and GLOCKS, right???

Actually, you have proved my POINT:p , if you are more impressed by PRETTY you like Mausers...if it's FUNCTION when your life depends on it in battlefield conditions, its the Mosin or Enfield...

And (steering the argument back to the point no mauser guy EVER wants to answer...:p )

Name for me again, if you will, the war or wars any country armed with "the superior" Mauser as it's main infantry weapon ever WON? When the opponent was not ALSO armed with it too?:p

IT really IS a simple question guys, just name them, don't BORE us with any more obfuscation or explanations or excuses....:p
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  15. k98k792

k98k792 New Member

IT really IS a simple question guys, just name them, don't BORE us with any more obfuscation or explanations or excuses....:p[/QUOTE]

That is the pot calling the kettle black!
  16. Face it, Polish. Comparing a Mosin Nagant to a Mauser is like comparing a beat up Zhiguli to a brand new Porche 911. Both will get the job done, but somehow the Porche does it with just a bit more style. :D ;) :p Mosins are fine if all you need is something to arm the cannon fodder and shoot more or less in the general direction of the enemy. The Germans were just a bit more demanding and required a rifle intended to be used as a rifle . . . instead of as a pike! :rolleyes: :p
  17. polishshooter

More like "Required any old rifle regardless of it's complexity or whether it's unsuited to the task, since it was only to SUPPORT the MGs and since German infantryman were simply ammo humpers anyway" and NOT to arm "riflemen" is more like it PS....:cool:

And K, MOI???:p :p :p Surely you don't think I "obfuscate or use explanations or excuses" right?

(Or were you referring to the "boring" part?...:p ;) :D :D :D )
  18. Not at all, Polish, but the word "obnubilate" does come to mind. :D ;) :p Look it up in your Funk and Wagnals. :rolleyes:
  19. k98k792

k98k792 New Member

When we are done discussing the Stuka,maybe we could go on to the
    ME. 262. :) :p
  20. I still say Hilter could have defeated, or at least very severely delayed the strategic bomber offensive, had he built the ME 262 in quantity from the outset. No one had anything that could match its performance. I'm sure Polish will disagree, though. He thinks the P-40 was the absolute epitome of American fighter design. :eek: :D ;)