Glock's blow

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pat Hurley, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Yeah, I said it... Glock's blow. This is not a popular position, I know, but somebody had to say it.

Not because they're unreliable weapons (they're ultra reliable), not because they aren't built well (they are), and not because they aren't reasonably priced (for the most part, they are). No, they blow because they're big-time ugly, way boring, their trigger was created by a mad scientist, and they feel as comfortable in your hand as a Ford transmission.

The glassy eyed, slavish devotion to these firearms is more cultish than anything else.

Look, you can't beat a Honda car for craftsmanship and reliability, but they are soooooooooooo boring you could fall asleep at the wheel if you're not careful. Unless you're easily entertained, a Glock just won't get the heart beating like so many other top quality polymer pistols will (read: H&K USP offerings).

Sorry Glock enthusiasts, this gunner ain't drinkin' the Kool Aid. A decent gun they are - but a great gun they're not.
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I can see you have never shot a Glock 18
    I like my Springfield XD more but I can't complain about a Glock
  4. Pede

Pede New Member

Glocks Blow:

I tried many 9mm handguns; S&W 9mm chiefs special, Lady Smith, Karr, but did not like the double action of the S&Ws, and the Karr malfunctioned even after factory repair. I didn't like the look of the Glock either but had never tried one. One day at the range I rented a Glock 19, and I loved it. It felt good in the hand, pointed well, and was exceptionally accurate. As far as utility, I'd bet my life on a Glock over others guns I've owned or tried. I wanted something for self defense that I didn't have to swipe a safety or that didn't have a long first shot trigger pull. I was not crazy about carring a 1911 around cocked and locked. I installed an adjustable rear site on the Glock and a smooth trigger. I love my Glock and I'm not a Glock cultist, just a guy who likes a gun that can be deployed and fired in an instant, should that be necessary.
  5. billt

billt Former Guest

Only if you consider the 65% of this nations police depts. who use them to be "cult members". The Glock really wasn't designed to "turn anyones crank". It's a utilitarian weapon designed to function in the absolute worst of conditions. This it does very well. A Glock is "boring" much the same way a shovel or hammer is boring. Neither is much fun to talk about, but if you need a hole dug or a nail pounded, they are indispensable. If you require something to go bang in the middle of the night, Glock is it. Bill T.
  6. Sackett

Sackett Member

Well said billt. The cops recommended them to me.
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Not to mention all of the Foreign militarys and Police using them swear by them
  8. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Everyone has their own taste. I have shot many glocks. It is not in a million years the same quality as an HK. The HK's always feel more solid to me. That being said, they are much more money than a glock. For me, it is not about what name brand it is. It is about how it feels in my hand, and how well it performs.
  9. HiPowerKid

HiPowerKid New Member

Ditto for the comments about tools. If you have to roll in the dirt, drop your gun or mags in the dirt/mud, fix a small broken part with inexpensive and readily available parts without a gunsmith having to install and mate the parts, not worry about dropping your barbecue gun if someone mishandled it other than you, you'll be glad you had the Glock. Sure, it won't be behind glass on someone's mantle piece, but rather in your toolbox. I didn't get one for a long time, and then I bought a used first generation model 17 because I don't like the finger grooves on the new models. It's an easy pistol for beginners to use and learn on without worrying about safeties. It's good for what it is and that's why there are so many different types of firearms. Not one fits everyone's hands, tastes, or budget. I have a number of different types of pistols and rifles and enjoy each for what they are. Enjoy your Les Baer 1911, Charles Daly 1911, Springfield Armory 1911, your HiPower, your CZ75, your Makarov, your CZ52, your Tokarev and knockoffs, revolvers (cheap and expensive), Bersa 380, Beretta Tomcat, Walter P99, Sig Sauer 220, but I think you get my point. Enjoy yours and if you find another one you like, buy that one and try it out. There are many different types of groups liking many different types of guns. See you at the range.;)
  10. billt

billt Former Guest

[​IMG] [​IMG]

When it absolutely, positively, must be killed overnight! :D Bill T.
  11. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Your comment above reminded me of a conversation I had with Land Rover salesman a few years back. He was extolling the virtues of this mountain climbing machine (the Discovery II) and regaling me with stories of how no outdoorsman would ever be caught dead on the Serengeti of Africa without one. Then it hit me... WHEN THE HELL AM I GONNA EVER BE IN THAT KIND OF FREAKIN' PREDICAMENT?! I mean, seriously, what do I need with a vehicle that can traverse 5 feet of water, or climb down a 30 degree incline automatically with just the press of a button? I live in flat-as-a-board Florida for pete's sake!! Perhaps if I found myself in the most unusual (read: never) situations as this erstwhile salesman was trying to help me picture, these capabilities might indeed come in handy.

What you say of the Glock is true. Bury it in mud, dive to the bottom of the sea with it, or drag it behind your pick-up truck down a country road for 10 miles or so, and it will likely still shoot. But how often does that happen to the average Joe Six Pack? Read: NEVER! So, that's all fine and well for the schmucks of the world who would find joy in torturing a gun to see if it will still shoot, but these fanciful attributes do nothing to overcome the Glock's glaring shortcomings for people who simply want ergonomics, positive tactile feedback, reliability, precision engineering, a great trigger, smooth action, and good looks. Glock's fail - in my opinion - in several of these key areas.

Glock claims things that Land Rover does - far flung scenarios that are the stuff of wild imaginations rather than real world experiences. Problem is, my lifestyle and travel habits dictate (and that of practically every other person I know) that I will require none of the things that both manufacturers seem to hang their marketing hats on. "Torture me and I'll still fire" and "Drive me through a five foot deep river and I'll still run." In short, I will likely never do either, so what does your product do for me?

Though subjective, I find H&K pistols superior in every way (sans price). I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings. This is admittedly a very emotional subject.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  12. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I love my Paras. Never cared for the Glock's, but hey, whatever floats your boat. You didn't hurt my feelings, but from now on you'll just be known as "Pat the Poo Poo stirrer" :D
    Keep them post's coming. Controversy can be entertaining! :)
  13. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I'll take a Beretta over a GLOCK, but I'll take a GLOCK over a lot of other stuff. They're reliable, well-built, and what I like most of all is that they're just a gun, no frills and thrills just a to-the-basics handgun. This is like saying you like Ford over Chevy, Chevy seems a little bit more to the point of bare-bones workhorse while Ford seems to be throwing in a few nice new amenities these days.
  14. billt

billt Former Guest

It provides you with a handgun that will operate no matter what. It's better to have the extra bit of rugged performance and not need it, than to need it and not have it. It's been estimated that less than 5% of the people who buy 4 wheel drive vehicles really "need" them. But if you have one and are traveling thru an urban area during a snowstorm, you have a much needed advantage over someone in a conventional passenger car. By the same token if that once in a lifetime situation occurs causing you to resort to a firearm to defend your life, or the lives of your loved ones, doesn't it make sense to have the absolute best possible tool at your disposal to do it with? I can walk a mile or more if my car gets stuck in the snow to call for help. I can't call for help if I'm dead because my firearm didn't perform in a grave situation. Bill T.
  15. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I'd be honored to be bequeathed with such a title! And the posts have only just begun........ Thanks!