Glossary of Terms

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

blackguns
    (2/4/02 12:27:12 pm)
    Reply Glossary of Terms
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Once, I recall a web site that contained a glossary of terms and villeges in Nam. I would love to visit that site again but can't recall it's address. Does anyone have it book marked?

hope6970
    (2/4/02 12:41:22 pm)
    Reply Re: Glossary of Terms
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No blackguns but I am sure one of will run across it when we start to searching. Hope

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (2/4/02 2:43:10 pm)
    BG, I have this book here at my desk named THE OXFORD. On the front cover, it is defined as the essential dictionary of the U.S. Military. On the aft cover page is an address as follows:

http://www.penguinputnam.com/newsletters

Perhaps it will point up something for your referencing. Good Luck. wilborn

GRUNT
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/4/02 4:20:29 pm)
    Hope you don't mind but I made it a link:
    http://www.penguinputnam.com/newsletters

guess I should have tried it first

Edited by: GRUNT at: 2/4/02 4:25:26 pm

GRUNT
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/4/02 5:45:56 pm)
    Been searching since reading the request and have come up with nothing of any use so far...sorry

The Price Of Freedom Is Written On The Wall

GRUNT
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/02 2:13:06 am)
    I typed in the words "Vietnamese Phrases" in Jeeves and found Grumpys..he has a copy of a booklet given out to the incoming soldiers in Mam..must have been after my time tho.
    The web address was a bunch of mumbo jumbo so you'll have to do the search. It came up on the first page.

The Price Of Freedom Is Written On The Wall

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (2/5/02 6:52:10 am)
    BG, another thought for you. Scroll down this page to google and enter <defense language institute>.
    Down the page where it mentions the army school at Monterey, California, it may give you some hints as to who you may question--perhaps even to request a booklet on the subject. In the last battalion I was the S-2 and had to seek training sources for personnel. I remember sending key personnel to the Vietnamese language portion of the DLI, Monterey. They did magic for our troops in just six weeks. Good luck. Wilborn

bhd8ball
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/02 2:24:49 pm)
    You mean something like this?:

http://www.tayninh.org/VietLingo.html

588th Engineers Class of 1968

blackguns
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/5/02 3:13:41 pm)
    Thanks one and all for your efforts in this serch. I went to the links and some of the terms brought back old memories. A lot I had forgotten over the past 35 years .

GRUNT
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/11/02 6:55:07 pm)
    ARMY TALK IN VIETNAM

Here's a link to a copy of the brochure.

'nuff said

Edited by: GRUNT at: 2/11/02 9:28:16 pm

blackguns
    *VMBB Staff*
    (2/12/02 3:56:01 pm)
    Thanks Grunt!