GMC is getting a new lease on life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 68c15, Sep 25, 2012.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

next summer I hand the keys and title of my 2 owner 68 GMC over to my oldest boy for his birthday. I have been happy with the way it runs but he is not so good with a carburetor. then yesterday a friend gave me a surprise. he was cleaning out his garage and decided the TPI set-up from an 89 IROC was in his way. woohoo!!!! this is gonna wake this thing up even more. I can't wait to see how it acts with my ported vortec heads and crower cam. I may need to put the headers back on along with the 12" glass packs and 2 1/2" pipes. I do believe he can be responsible with it. with any luck he will be better than me at keeping cops off his ass;)

he still aint gettin' my other truck. the 67 short step with the cammed, bored, and stroked 472 caddy (500 hp and well over 600ft/lbs). that one is for daddy, I always gotta have a better hand:D:D

BTW, this is his truck
    <-----
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

are you sure the switch will work?
  3. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

most definately!!!!

it is a mass air system, they are able to adapt to more cam than a speed density system. if you mean will it work with the heads I still say yes. the heads have the 12 bolt pattern instead of the 8 bolts.
  4. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

the heads is what i was wondering about
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I am thinking about porting the plenums and tubes to gain some top end that these systems are known to be lacking on. but it should be a rocket up to 3500 if left stock-ish
  6. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

I have two of those TPI systems sitting under the bench in my garage. Everything except the governing computer hardware. I'd bought it with the intention of sticking it in Mrs. DCD's Suburban. Was told by several that'd it'd actually pick up the mileage a bit and give it a bit more while towing. I have never installed it tho, as I'm not smart enough to figure out how to run it. The burban is the throttle-body small block (350) now.