1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

GMX bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Zhurh, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Now I know bullets are bullets if ya can't hit the target but one of my good hunting buddies called me yesterday, talking like he saw a ghost or been to church, or found another woman; but in the end he quit the Barnes TSX bullets and started reloading Hornady GMX bullets. He raved for a few minutes about shooting holes and 15 inches deep into wood too. I figure that's how he evaluates how good they are. Now my buddy has been a loyal Barnes guy, got me using them in my 30-378 too. A few other friends with 30-378s use Barnes bullets too. My buddy never liked the TSX bullets and said the original X bullets were hard to get. He said the GMX are just like the original Barnes X bullets. Anybody shooting GMX's, what ya think?
  2. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

i tried the Barnes and the GMX side by side... couldn't find a load that would group well with the GMX, I can get Barnes to group within 1/2" at 100 yards and the bullet flat out penetrates...
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The GMX is hornadys attempt at a TTSX. They are solid guiling metal instead of solid copper and are missing 1 flute. Thats the only difference. For all intents and purposes they are the same bullets.

Just for the record, i can drill a hole in a tree 15 inches deep with a hand drill and a boring bit in very little time, but Id be hard pressed to chase down a moose and have him hold still while I drill a hole in him. ;) That prolly isnt the best test to determine how good a bullet is. Testing for accuracy, and facilitating expansion is. Water is the best medium to use for that as most living things are over 70% water based.

I have not personally used the GMX bullets, They are more expensive than barnes TSX bullets here, which I have used and LOVE. so Ill not change for now.