GMX bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Zhurh, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Now I know bullets are bullets if ya can't hit the target but one of my good hunting buddies called me yesterday, talking like he saw a ghost or been to church, or found another woman; but in the end he quit the Barnes TSX bullets and started reloading Hornady GMX bullets. He raved for a few minutes about shooting holes and 15 inches deep into wood too. I figure that's how he evaluates how good they are. Now my buddy has been a loyal Barnes guy, got me using them in my 30-378 too. A few other friends with 30-378s use Barnes bullets too. My buddy never liked the TSX bullets and said the original X bullets were hard to get. He said the GMX are just like the original Barnes X bullets. Anybody shooting GMX's, what ya think?
  2. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

i tried the Barnes and the GMX side by side... couldn't find a load that would group well with the GMX, I can get Barnes to group within 1/2" at 100 yards and the bullet flat out penetrates...
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The GMX is hornadys attempt at a TTSX. They are solid guiling metal instead of solid copper and are missing 1 flute. Thats the only difference. For all intents and purposes they are the same bullets.

Just for the record, i can drill a hole in a tree 15 inches deep with a hand drill and a boring bit in very little time, but Id be hard pressed to chase down a moose and have him hold still while I drill a hole in him. ;) That prolly isnt the best test to determine how good a bullet is. Testing for accuracy, and facilitating expansion is. Water is the best medium to use for that as most living things are over 70% water based.

I have not personally used the GMX bullets, They are more expensive than barnes TSX bullets here, which I have used and LOVE. so Ill not change for now.