GOA Notice / HR 5175

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Marlin T, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica]Obama Moves to Silence Gun Groups and Other Political Opponents
    -- Bill clears committee hurdle, going to the House floor soon

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    http://www.gunowners.org

[/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fresh from his efforts to seize government control of the health services sector (ObamaCare) and the financial markets ("finance reform"), Barack Obama has a new priority: silence his political opposition.

As satisfying as it was for Obama to seize control of one-sixth of the economy, he has had to suffer protest from the "little people" (like us). So he is pushing the Orwellian "DISCLOSE" bill (HR 5175) to make sure gun groups and other pro-freedom forces cannot mobilize their members in the upcoming elections.

When Obama says "disclose," what he really means is "disclose gun group membership lists"

Not surprisingly, these efforts to shut down free speech don't apply to Obama allies, like Democratic-leaning labor unions. They only apply to groups which are not reliable Obama allies, like Gun Owners of America.

But, for those groups whose free speech is targeted for Obama's wrath under this bill, the consequences are severe:

* Under Title II of the bill, GOA (and other groups, as well as many bloggers) who merely mention public officials within 60 days of an election could be required to file onerous disclosures -- potentially including their membership lists.

* Also under Title II, GOA could be required to spend as much as half of the time of a 30-second ad on government-written disclosures.

* In addition, Sections 201 through 203 would potentially put the government's snooping eyes on any American who voices a political opinion, despite the fact that the Supreme Court, in Buckley v. Valeo, declared that Americans have a right to voice their opinion to an unlimited extent, if unconnected with a political campaign.

Here's an idea: If Obama is so irritated at the Supreme Court's defense of political free speech by groups like GOA, why doesn't he apply his sleazy new rules to his political allies, as well?

ACTION: Please urge your congressman to vote against the anti-gun HR 5175. This bill has moved out of committee and has now been placed on the House calendar.

You can use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send a pre-written message to your Representative.
    [/FONT]
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Sent.
    Thanks for the post!
  3. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Thanks for the heads up. Done.
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

email sent! Thanks!
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Saw this on another post. think it rings true here!

“You know why there’s a second amendment? In case the government doesn’t obey the first one.”
    — Rush Limbaugh, August 17, 1993
  6. wpage

wpage Active Member

All this link showed for me was voting records.
    OOps wrong link...

Got it Thanks!
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  7. don w

don w New Member

sent. thanks for the heads up.
  8. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Sent to my Representative and e-mail list.
  9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I was thinking about this today. I think this is some of Cass Sunstein's influence. They aren't actually taking away your right to free speech, they're just "regulating" it. Remember, Sunstein wrote a book about how to get people to obey the will of the govt by "nudging" them in the right direction, so that people will choose to limit their rights of their own free will:mad::mad::mad:
  11. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Borrowing this for another forum I belong to. I would write to my Congress critters, but they are on the correct side of the aisle on 99% of stuff.
  12. dge479

dge479 New Member

Well it seems to have passed in the House, My rep did whats right but, not enough did.
    I will be wasting my time, but will call the 2 morons I have for senators in NJ. It is sickening what is happening to this nation and at what speed.