God I love my Swift!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by polishshooter, Apr 13, 2012.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My wife bought me a fixed Leupold 12x Varmint scope for Christmas to replace the Tasco "World Class" 8x32 variable glass that came on it, and I finally got to the range...

I think I can easily become a "Scope Snob" :p:p;)

Decided to shoot up some factory 50 gr Remingtons at 100 I had to get it on paper and get it set up, plus get some more once fired cases for my handloads in the process. Fired two shots at a time to test repeatability, while adjusting the scope.

First two shots within 1/2", 4" low 4" left.

This is my first Leupold, so I was a little surprised without "clicks" and markings for 1/4 or 1/8" increments like on my Bushnells or the Tasco, so I guessed, and two more within 1/2" now 2" low and to the left.

Two more and I'm right on the bull but right, then back on the bull in the center, then two inches high where I want it, then fired two groups for group size, and they were about 3/4' and 1 " :eek:

Then I felt5 the barrel and it was HOT, I guess I was shooting just a little fast.

So I put it aside to cool, and sighted in my Polish M44 project gun I put together a few years ago with the new Bushnell I put on it, and it took me a while to even get it on PAPER, had to go to 25 yds to find out it was hitting about 2 feet LOW at 100...:eek:

But when I got done with it, and shot about a "Minute of Deer" groups with it ;)

I went back to the Swift and shot some of my handloads from last year through it in 3 shot groups (50 grain Vmax, 38.5 gr 4064, Federal Match primers, Remington new cases, not once fired...)

FIRST group with a cool barrel, .40 inches center to center about 4 inches high, 2 inches higher than the factory loads. (I believe i am pushing 4100fps with my handloads, the factory are about 3800-3900)

Second was about 1/2", third was about 3/4"...then I quit when I got it about 2.5 high at 100, which puts me dead on at 300...it likes a COOL barrel, I already knew that.

But I can't WAIT to get it back out with my once fired cases, from my RASS.
    (I was shooting from the bipod off a concrete bench with sandbags under the butt.)

But GOSH I love a day at the range with that rifle, and the P-dogs better watch out even more this year!:D:D:D:D;)
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have been a 220 Swift fan for ever, but I don't load that hot running 60 grain on coyotes at about 3600 fps and 55 grain at about 3700 fps. I just went to H380 but I haven't shot it yet. Normally I use IMR 4064 but my Dillon powder measurer doesn't like it and for gophers I need a lot of ammo and loading on a single stag doesn't get.

Ron
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am a scope snob. I am very partial to Nikons. I have 2 of the higher end hunting scopes on my LR builds and Ordered a 8-32X50 Monarch with fine hair reticle for my 6.5-284 build.

Nikons have top notch glass IMO. And i been behind a buncha different scopes. Even NF and Zeisses
  4. polishshooter

Yeah, JLA, my Buddies have been Leupold snobs for years, but both have bought Nikons recently and (begrudgingly:p) say they are as good.

I have shot both on their rifles and see little difference, at least in the high end ones.

But the knock on Nikon was they also sell "lower end" stuff too which compares to Bushnell, etc.

But now that Leupold bought Redfield they too are making lower end scopes, about which I have yet to hear bad things!

Like I said, I have had good luck with mid-range Bushnells in the past, and someday would like to try maybe one of their 4200 Elites which I like when I see them in a shop, which are supposed to be just like the old Bausch and Lombs since Bushnell bought them. But at that price, you can have a nice Leupold so I don't know if I ever will.

Oh yeah, and Weaver. My buddy bought a new Savage .17 HMR with a Weaver scope, and he couldn't get it to shoot worth a damm, until he figured out he had a bad scope.

Coincidentally he put an old 4x Tasco my other buddy had bouncing around in his box that he said he could "have" until he found out the rifle was making one hole at 50 yds, then he said he could have the scope for $25 since it actually WORKED.:D:D:D:p

But He sent the weaver back, and Weaver promptly sent him a new scope with their apologies, He said it was as good customer service as he's got from Leupold.
  5. polishshooter

And Muddobber, I hear you. A lot of guys load their Swifts down and get fine accuracy but in my tests last year it seems mine groups the 50 grainers better if I push them. In fact, about 39.5 seemed best, but I backed off a grain since I was already "off the charts."

But I loaded up to 40 with it to test and still had no signs of overpressure.

But my two buddies both shoot -250s, so I figure why own a Swift if you are only going to shoot at what a -250 can do?

Then again, who is really going to notice the extra 2-300 fps? I don't think the P-dogs do!:p

Yeah, I guess barrel life could someday be an issue, but then again I'm not shooting thousands of rounds each year. We rotate about 7 rifles among three shooters, one shooting and two spotting (cheering for the "catastrophic disintegration" when it happens and jeering the misses which is half the fun!;)), one week a year, maybe 2-300 rds per rifle, then maybe another 100 or so range time. If I get 10000 or so rounds before accuracy suffers a little, I will probably be done with my P-dog days anyway, or else own another rifle:p

But I guess I get to brag on them, about shooting a REAL "man's rifle" and all that:p:cool::cool::cool:
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

some rifles just like to be pushed. My savage .308 is one. It will group 1/4 MOA at 200 yds with 175 SMKs pushed with 50 freakin grains of 2000MR, thats 2.3 grains over max!
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you're still diggin that Swift!
    Yep, I'm one of those guys that advocates loading it down a bit to help with the barrel life, but ya know...if you've got loads that work on the top end then by all means enjoy them. I'm falling back into that trap with my fairly new Howa .204 too. It's another one that likes the top end loads and I'm sure I'll pay for it with a little shorter barrel life. But it sure is fun at the moment!
    It's all about barrel harmonics and finding those "sweet spots" for each rifle/load...and yep, sometimes one sweet spot is really slow and the next step is right on the ragged edge.

I finally axed the Tasco World Class 4-16x off of my .25-06 a couple months ago for a 3-9x Swift, and I'm loving the update. Better eye relief and much clearer image through the entire mag range. But I'm sure the Tasco will find a home on another rifle someday...probably a rimfire so I can pick nose hairs off of gophers at 16x. :D
    I still haven't splurged for any Nikon glass for myself although I've used a few on other guys' rifles. Have had a few lower model Leupolds and they're great scopes.
    I'm not that much of a glass snob...I've usually stuck with low to mid price scopes and have had good luck with em but I have seen limitations with em.
    My current favorite brand is the mid-range Swift scopes.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  8. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

.220 Swifts are a rocking caliber in my opinion. I love the fast movers! :)
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's interesting Polishooter with your .220 swift and and the scope "step-up" as I've
    had the same thoughts on "moving up" with a better scope on my Savage 12.
    Right now I've got the Tasco World Class 5-20x50AO and havent had, what I would call,
    complaints on the scope...other than;
    The windage and elevation marks, as far as left and right and up and down are "arse"
    backwards! (i kid you not) And it seems to be from the factory that way!
    With the scope mounted and fine tuning @ 100yds., if it need to go left say, a 1/4 of
    and inch, you have to click it to the right. And same on the windage adj..

I've been tossing a few scopes around in my head to put on the model 12 and still thinking.
    (And interesting also, your's shooting 2.5" @ 100 and dead on @ 300....same here with
    the .223 calber on the model 12, Hornady, factory ammo.)
  10. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I have never shot with a high end scope, nothing over $700. The Springfield Armory was nice to shoot with, the Sheperd was ok, mid-range Leupolds bout the same, but I don't see ever upgrading from either of my Burris 6.5-20X50s. .308 and .22-250 both do very well with them and they're only $400, a drop in the bucket compared to any high-end. Not saying the high-end stuff isn't worth the price, but I just can't imagine them being several times better than what I'm used to. A buddy's dad has a custom built .220 Swift that neither of our .22-250s can touch. And it was built 30 yrs ago. We can all do the 1 hole groups at 100, but that .220 will usually still have them all touching at 300. It only gets broke out on special occasions anymore, like when someone keeps running their mouth or something.