Goex Pinnacle powder

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by DanC_1968, Nov 14, 2006.

1. DanC_1968

DanC_1968 New Member

I bought a pound of this powder in FFG to see how it fared in my TC Hawken. I poured it into my powder flask, and to my surprise, its granulations were so course it prevented the powder from going through the flask's valve even after shaking the flask violently and turning it upside down and rightside up over and over again repeatedly. The powder also wouldn't pour from my TC measure into the barrel of my gun with any reasonable success. I had to stop using it and use up what was left of my 777 powder that day. Has anyone else used goex pinnacle powder with success? Is it possible I got a mislabeled can? Seems unlikely...I think I'll stick with 777 since I can't get real BP around here.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  2. Hoss

Hoss New Member

Cant help ya there, but I can tell ya I just ordered 5 cans of Good old Goex Black Powder FFG and trashed my 777
  3. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I don't think I would mess with guns that could so easily blow up in my face... What keeps people interested in these things, why not hang them on the wall to look at and shoot propellant arms
  4. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

Aww, now you should try black powder shooting before you knock it.
    It can be a lot of fun and you can get in extra hunting time. It was
    good enough for our forefathers to win independence for our country with.
    And it won't blow up in your face unless you are very careless or stupid.
    I have shot black powder rifles, pistols, and revolvers for years without
    incident. Oh yeah, you don't need an FFL or have to fill out any paperwork
    to buy one.

:)
  5. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Isn't it interesting that a black powder rifle or pistol can be just as deadly as a propellant firearm... And you don't need an FFL for it? Just kind of interesting the BATFE hasn't put some type of sanction on it.
  6. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

Hey, don't give em any ideas now.

:D
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Hint to those purchasing GOEX Pinnacle:

If you can find it and the price is right, buy Jim Shockey's Gold, marketed by American Pioneer. It's the same powder as Pinnacle and less expensive, in some cases.

I found GOEX Pinnacle at $21/lb and JSG at $19/lb. I bought the JSG.
  8. mrmeval

mrmeval New Member

They don't have jurisdiction to do so per US law. Let the dems stink up the works and watch that change.

9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Lack of jurisdiction per US law has not stopped the BATFE before.

As an example, just take a look at the hobby rocketry situation. The BATFE has been flagrantly violating citizens' rights and ignoring law for years. They have gone as far as illegal arrest and seizure of a legal shipment of rocket motors that were being shipped TO THEM so they could attempt to "prove" that hobby rocket motors could be used to shoot down an aircraft. Not only did they fail in their pathetic attempt, but in the process managed to catch the van they were using as a testbed on fire when they launched a rocket from the back of the van with the van full of rocket motors.

ATFE has even claimed that an Estes rocket motor igniter is not an igniter, even when clearly marked as such on the package. They claim that it does not function as such.

Y'know, when Wayne LaPierre originally called them "jack-booted thugs" I thought he was out of line. Now, I think he was being too soft on them.
  10. Jronjakoh

Jronjakoh New Member

OH! OH! Think Of The Children!!

If Blackpowder firearms scare ya my advice would be to go to the hobby shop and get yourself a slingshot. Unless ya think those little steel balls might hurt something or some one.

Sounds like an Anti-Anti to me. lol

I own two blackpowder pistols,and OLD antique that still shoots,1866 Trade gun and 3 other firearms. Getting a new one on Monday Too.

happy shooting guys!
  11. A German word from the 1930s--"Sturmabteilung"--also comes to mind, John. :mad:
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Actually, Wayne was quoting a Democrat when he said that. John Dingle, if I remember correctly. :D

Pops
  13. mountinman1964

mountinman1964 New Member

do not use the ffg , get the fffg it will solve your problem , the ffg is pure gravel , while the fffg is about the same size as ffg black powder ,
    this powder is sold under three names , American Pioneer , Shockey's Gold & Goex Pinnacle , I have been using it for about 7 years ( used it when it was called clean shot ) and love it I can shoot 30+ rounds get done and clean up is as simple as 1 wet patch then 1 dry one
  14. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Dumb question: What is the significance of the 'g' in FFFg?
  15. shellvrolet

shellvrolet New Member

Just goin off of memory which aint that good any more,, I think it stands for grade. Like ol Steve G used to say "Smokeless powder is just a passing fad" LOL:)