going 1911

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tireman, Feb 8, 2006.

1. tireman

tireman Member

have been swayed to get a 1911---looked at several last night--springfield, colt, para ordanace, even had a smith and wesson! any suggestions? i was really fond of a springfield trp model--had laser in the guide rod--beeeautiful gun---the owner is willing to take my hk on trade give me some input
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I love a good Springfield they are just hard to beat :)
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Out of that group, I'd pick the Springfield.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I too would go with the Springfield. Nice guns, all steel. ;)
  5. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i've got to be different, get a KIMBER
    bhk223
    kimber supermatch II

[​IMG]
    kimber team match II

[​IMG]
    colt gold cup trophy

[​IMG]
    springfield loaded
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  6. ducky

ducky New Member

For a great, solid 1911 on a relative budget (< $1200), Springfield is tops. I've got a couple Kimbers and they're fine shooters, but they seem to lack style and look rather, well.. sterile. I'm also not the biggest fan of Bomar cut sights either, but that is just my personal preference.

I've got several Springfields, and my MC Operator for example has over 20,000 rounds through it without 1 single, and I repeat not 1 single malfunction, and I've run as much as 2,000rds+ of WWB through it between cleanings on a couple occasions. It's only now though that the extractor is starting to go south.

I have no opinion on Para or S&W 1911s though, as I don't own one of either nor have I had the opportunity to shoot one.
  7. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Only had this SA for a couple of months but really happy with it.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  8. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have and shoot on a regular bases Springfield's , Para's and Smith & Wesson's I like them. BUT all dollar for dollar the Springfield does everything I could want from a 1911, all the bells and whistles on the others are just to impress the other folks. any 1911 that has been tuned is going to be a fine shooter.
    Just my ten cents :D
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I'd keep the HK. :p
  10. tireman

tireman Member

well, thanks guys i have friend in the pawn business who called me back and had found a colt 60 series in nickel--said it was made around 1968 still in the red colt box with all paperwork--also willing to take trade, but wants 1150.oo i didnt want to spend that much, but if it is what he said i will own it tomorrow--ireally liked the springfield, seemed to fit me good but i still like a handful of hk---i have decided not to use it as trade as the guy wants the ruger red label i have abd i also have a newer walther ppks unfired---im gonna try to get the colt straight up for the 2--if anyone knows much about this colt let me know!!!thanks guys you are all great sm
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Series 60????????????????? Never heard of one. Now, Colt did make a Series 70 and 80 pre-70 series, but never a 60.

If the serial number is in the range of 240,228C to 336,169C then it is a Colt 1911A1 Commercial and NIB would be worth $1250. You need to give us the serial number to figure this out. There is still no 60 series.
  12. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

I like them alll...................But a cheap springfield tuned correctly will stand up to most of the high price 1911 guns ( Not all)

Question is ...How do I know ????............ I have the high priced guns and a cheap springfield ( put a little money in it - tuned) it' does'nt miss the target.

I'm looking for another cheap stainless springfield ....
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Accuracy out of the box at a reasonable price; Springfield.
  14. tireman

tireman Member

just got back from looking at it its a series 70 government model nickle has some very slight holster wear on the verrry end of the gun---all paper work from original purchase in 1968---still in hte red cardboard colt box box is tattered but complete i left without it and im still crying---offered it to me for 1100.00 hes gonna hold it till monday---please give me some feedback thanks guys sm