The Firearms Forum banner

going price for spent brass?

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 · (Edited)
just checking what the going rate was for spent brass? 30-06

I just picked up over 200rnds from a shooting buddy, and we worked out 4 cents a case..

it's once fired milsurp, looks like more greek perhaps, crimped primer. gun range pickup. is possibly late 60's manufacturer. this is likely the same style of brass I got earlier .. we/he picks up range brass.. mostly we shoot together but sometimes he heads up without me as he lives much closer. we pick up as much as we can find, first come first serve.. we usually trade amongst ourselves or to other range people that reload.. but when nothing to trade, we usually do some sort of small cash deal to make up for the time... it is tedius picking up range brass at the end of the day after shooting and already grabbing all your brass, especially when the suns going down and the stomache is growling.. :)... i had gotten about 50 rounds of this stuff a few weeks ago.. was a bit of work reaming the crimp out and whatnot.. but it cleaned up real nice in the vibro tumbler. one good thing is you can tell it's 1 use, as all the primer crimps are intact, none have been reamed out.. so it has not been reloaded before. it's boxer primed, and no cases exhibit any corrosion, etc. someone at the range must have a ton of this stuff and is shooting it up ALOT. After trying to research the headstamps last time to figure out what it was I was reminded by same friend that i had a good deal of milsurp and other assorted ammo from a bulk purchase we went in on.. 3 of us.. back in 08 bought about a 1/4 ups truck full.. :) back when the 'guard changed' digging thru muy stuff I found quite a bit of greek 30-06, boxer, non corrosive, and the headstamps seem to match.. so that's what I'm guessing it is.. similar stuff.

thanks for any pricing info

( ugh.. looks like another couple days of brass prep marathon to get 30-06 done.. again. I think I'll have 600 rounds when this is processed... ugh.. gotta quit saying yes when people offer me spent brass... ) :)

See less See more
#3 ·
If I buy spent brass, I try not to pay more than a nickel, and I won't pay more than a dime. Unless it's very very rare. I might go 15 for actual factory 9.3x57, but if they wanted more than that, I'd continue on as I have been, making them out of other cases.

That's rifle OR pistol. Don't wanna pay more than a nickel. And if it's common pistol - 9, 380, 38 - I'd only offer 3 cents.

#5 ·
That was military, so there was more work involved (not just "size and load"), but still, for four cents, I think you did okay.

#9 ·
If it's HXP headstamp it's Greek, and the crimp should be 3 little stake marks around the primer, not a circular ring like ths US uses. I've reloaded a lot of this brass and I found I didn't even need to remove the crimp. It reprimed just fine.

As far as price, you should have kissed the guy. HXP is excellent brass and it brings around .20 - .25 a round generally. I buy all I can find for .10- .12 and might go more if it's untampered once-fired brass. If it's reloaded or procesed by someone I won't buy it at all since there's no way to tell how many times it's been loaded after it's deprimed and tumbled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.