Gold Cup

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by johnston3407, Mar 26, 2007.

1. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Five shots at 35 yds. Bought it used in the mid 70's. It's my favorite by far.

Attached Files:

2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I can see why you don't like it. :p :D :D
  3. williamd

williamd New Member

Yep, I have a Series 70 Gold Cup that is simply superb. Others have come close but that one is my fav. Previous owner put jade grips on it. Pretty but slick. I have wood back on it. I still use the finger bbl bushings but curse it when it is time to remove/clean.
  4. obxned

obxned New Member

Had one from the 70's. Did some upgrading and created the ultimate combat, target, hunting pistol. Got married and had 6 kids all wanting to eat 3 times nearly every day. Sold it. Sure do miss it!!!!
  5. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

I think I paid $300.00 for it in the mid 70's. When I see them for sale now at $800.00 and up I think I'll keep it. The stag grips were on it when I bought it but came with the original walnut, I quickly put the walnut back on, then changed my mind. The stag feels really good in my hand. And right out of the box it has been a great target shooter even to younger shooters.
    Just wondering obxned, what did you do to make it better? I have no problems with it the way it is, but allways willing to listen.
  6. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

35 yards is nothing to sneeze at! :) Nice shooting!

LL
  7. I have a Gold Cup as well, Johnston, and after I finally got it dialed in, it shoots like Sergeant York on a good day. Say what you will about Colts, but they can be fine pistols indeed. :D
  8. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Here's to Sergeant York. .45's forever, and then some ...

LL
  9. williamd

williamd New Member

Darn, I had to give $375 for mine!!! I stoned the appropriate parts but only very lightly. Really could not find much to do to improve. Tried changing springs and trigger but went back to original! Varoius handloads all perform well. Lead bullets worked but I hate the cleanup. Mine does perform better with the Gold Cup finger bushing.
  10. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

That is very fine shooting at 35 yards. The benchmark for Gold Cup accuracy is 2" at 50 yards from benchrest. I think your gun could beat that.
  11. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Well I must admit it was bench rest and I was the only one at the range. I think these pistols will do better than I can do, eyesite is getting bad. That one at the bottom was the first shot. AND I was useing factory Winchester. I've allways done better with hand loads. Maybe they got better with their factory rounds. Just bought some 100 round boxes of Winchester 45 acp. at Wally World for $26 bucks. .40 cal. were less than $20.