Golden PPK

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Kestral, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Kestral

Kestral Member

A neighbour turned this up recently & has asked me to get it valued for him.Its not solid gold as the area around the f/pin is a much darker colour showing the hint of steel underneath.The grips are Ivory.with the raised figures beingsolid gold.Its in full working order, but the owner has no wish to have it test fired now or at any future time.Ive no idea what it could be worth,anyone got even the vaguist idea ???

Attached Files:

2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Don't believe that is factory plating/engraving. Walther did produce gold plated engraved pistols, but the pattern and treatment of slide markings are different.

I'd estimate US$3000 as a ballpark.
  3. kx1a

kx1a Member

Hmmm PPK in a PP case. will be interested as to what the experts will say
    Bill W
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I also think it's aftermarket embellishment.
  5. denny 714

denny 714 Member

WOW!!!! Well it looks like a walther PPK made between 1940 and 1945. It has a 60 safety and an Eagle over N. No Idea what the worth is????!!!!

Coulda Bin Hitlers'........Dono???????!!!

Denny G.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

As was pointed out to me, it has no serial numbers nor slide markings, it may not even be a real PPK but rather a replica. As SSMN pointed out, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered, . Better and clearer pictures and pictures of the internals. The engraving may not even be real??? ADDED: Something else to think about, If it is a real Walther PPK, then it had a serial number, it has been removed which makes the gun illegal. So who would buy it?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. Kestral

Kestral Member

£ pics of internals, Top of slide says Walther PPK Cal 7.65mm hope this helps a bit

Attached Files:

8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It is after market, perhaps to salvage a badly corroded or damaged firearm. f As noted all markings have been removed which is odd unless as stated it was badly pitted and could not be restored. If it is real gold on the grips it may go for up to 4000 but not as any type of collectors item. The only way to ascertain the true value is from a professional appraiser or an auction house. There is also the matter of the serial number. Now before someone pipes in with the " prior to 1968", if a firearm never had a serial number, no problem. However if it had a serial number and it was removed then that is bad news from home. That problem has to be overcome. I don't know the procedure of the BATFE to issue a new number, but I'm sure others on the board do. Since all the engraving and embellishing was done after market I can't think of any other way to get the value. I would dearly like to know the story behind the gun.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, the OP is from the Channel Islands, so I don't think it matters what US law says.

Now the question is whether the gun is 1) real and 2) original. Some very realistic dummy guns have been made for collectors in the UK and Japan where civilian ownership of handguns is banned, and that could be one of them, but I don't think so. It looks real to me (though I can't tell if the barrel is clear and rifled), and not many fakes have that degree of accuracy on internal detail.

I have never seen a Walther-engraved pistol marked that way on the slide, it does look like the kind of marking used on replicas, as does the case and the identification tag. Anyway, it is unique and interesting, as is the engraving itself, and I wish I could say more about it or give a value.

Jim
  10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Can't be Hitler's gun because somebody already sold me that one. Don't believe this is a factory job at all. If it's a replica, it is a good one. If it were real, it would have frame and slide markings, and I didn't see any. As a replica piece, I'd guess here at a Gun Show about $150 to $250 with the right buyer - say a collector of these.

I was going to say that it was likely just a replica, but I've looked at the photos again, and it does look like a real PPK or a really good replica. It is very detailed, and appears to me to have been scrubbed of factory markings and plated/engraved. Without any serial numbers or documentation it would be nearlly impossible to guess at a value. I doubt if it were sellable here in the U.S. as it is.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:)Good Grief, I didn't even notice Kestral was from the Channel Islands, but if they come under the King rule, ( if they do, I don't know ) that would be even worst. The complete lack of markings is what bothers me also. It looks authentic but I have never seen any ingraved Walther, factory or not, that didn't have the factory etchings and a serial number. added: Never mind about the Kings rule, I just did my homework.:)
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A few very special Walther presentation pistols did not have the standard markings, but they were certainly the exception and the engraving is quite different.

AFAIK, the Channel Islands are part of the UK, which is why I wondered about it being a dummy pistol. If it is, it is a darned good one.

Jim
  13. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It's a real gun. The markings were removed to give the engraver a clean "canvas," and they were replicated on the top of the slide. The serial number must have been bothersme, too. Notice the name plate says "Walther PP?" instead of PPK?
  14. Jim K

Jim K New Member

As kx1a pointed out, the case is formed for a PP, so it probably doesn't belong to that gun.

Jim
  15. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Hey Fellas,
    If I'm not mistaken that's an Eagle over an "N" on the breech sleeve that the barrel slides into....check to see if the eagle over N is on the end on the barrel!!!
    That's no Replica!!!!
    PLUS: You can see the cartridge indicator and the firing pin. The slide is real.
    The frame was made after 1942 because of the extended beaver tale (tang). The frame is real too.
    The PPK is Real!!!

Denny G.