Gone wapiti Huntin

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by ysacres, Oct 23, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Be back in a week, gone to chase elk around the mountians
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Good luck, Y's! Let us know!
  3. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

whats a wapiti? son of a whoopi cushion?
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Fn...A wapiti is one of the most cunning, evil, wily and dangerous creatures on "Planet Earth"...an ordinary "Human Being" would never attempt to track a wapiti down...Hat's off to ya Y's...See ya when y'all get back...

The very sinister wapiti!!!...[​IMG]

...[​IMG]
  5. warpig

warpig Guest

Good luck ysacres. I wish I was going.

let me know when to show up for a nice elk steak

SG has his mind in the gutter;)
  6. misiu

misiu New Member

Good luck to you Y's hope you find one of those greatest of all deer!! I have given up hope of getting one this year but look out next year-going up north were there are reputed to be lots of them.

Remember-marinate them steaks then BBQ them medium with a little bullseye-the best eating in the west (or north or east or south!!!):D :D
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  7. ysacres

Wapiti: (Cervus canadensis and related forms) similar to the European Red deer but larger: An American elk.

Well, I seen em! 150 head of wild & wily wapiti runnin through the Blue mountians of SE WA in the Weanchee National forest on the Smoothing Iron ridge in the Lick creek GMU 175.

See page 19 Nov-Dec Bugle magizne for article

I duntno what I was thinkin trying to track down such a cunning creature, they is most dangerous when cornered beteween the Chimney ruins and the South fork of Asotin creek, they travel up Dark canyon across Park ridge into Cooper canyon. hide in the hidden hole for a few hours and then over Cook ridge into Alder Gulch back to within 100 yards of camp on the Smoothing Iron(where no one is home cuz were still in dark canyon) in all 30 miles in one day, We chased them fer 3 days and got very tired hiking up one mountain and down another.

As SG states: they are the most Evil critter to chase, run ,crawl after on the planet.

A friend of ours did shoot a spike at the Chimney ruins. hope he has salt & pepper.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2003
  8. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Y maybe you should give up on the Wapati and take up pursuit of the most elusive Sasquatch I have heard them to be numerous in your area and they are reported to be easily baited but hard to contain once you get them in the sack of your choice.
    Much luck on whatever you decide.
  9. ysacres

funy U R BB

I did hunt fer da Sqtch and had an "out of body" expereance in dark canyon, seems da spirts were talkin som trash about the big fella, I got scared, droped my 50 lb renforced burlap tater sack I was goin to stuff him/her into and got da heck outa thar. :cool:
  10. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

I was out of my blind stalking a deer, could not get a clean shot. I was getting to a better spot to shoot, when this jack ass on a 4 wheeler comes screaming down the hill (hes not suposed to be on the property, and has been told not to be many times) and scares off the deer. The 4wheeler was over a rise and you could not hear it until it was right over the top of the hill I was on. Man what a bust. Thanksgiving will be the time for it, late rut this season. We did however locate the guys climbing stand, he has been going out there so long he just leaves it out. And we gave it to the caretaker of the land per his request. So hopefully that guy gets the point.
  11. ysacres

Finally got some pics of the pose in front of the fire pit at elk camp.
    L to R , Roy with his Rem SS 300 ultra mag. Me with Rem SS DM 7mm, Son with his new Rem LSS 300 ultra mag, and Ken with his Rem 7600 30-06

Attached Files:

12. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Hmmm... Roy there looks a little like Chuck Norris ... doncha think? :p
  13. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

What a motley looking crew!!

Hope you have wonderful luck on the hunt.
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Just for clarification's sake, Dictionary.com says thusly:

wap·i·ti n. wapiti or wap·i·tis

A large light brown or grayish-brown North American deer (Cervus canadensis) having long, branching antlers. Also called American elk, elk.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

wapiti

\Wap"i*ti\, n. [Probably the Iroquois name. Bartlett.] (Zo["o]l.) The American elk (Cervus Canadensis). It is closely related to the European red deer, which it somewhat exceeds in size.

Note: By some writers it is thought to be a variety of the red deer, but it is considered a distinct species by others. It is noted for the large, branching antlers of the male.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

wapiti

n : large North American deer with large much-branched antlers [syn: American elk, Cervus canadensis]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Should be about as clear as it comes, now.....