gonna buy a revolver. looking for some suggestions....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Jeepdude90, Dec 10, 2011.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

6" Barrel Ruger Security Six
  2. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Jeepdude-

Had a Ruger SecuritySix for twelve years....bought it when they 1st appeared in 1975 (?) although it was a blued version w/ a 6" barrel. It was a nice handgun w/ decent accuracy and like all Rugers...well built. Killed a deer at 40 yrds w/ it when I lived in Michigan, 158 grn. SJHP...Sierra...hand loaded w/ H110. I was shooting w/ some friends back then that had Smiths....sold my Security Six and bought a S&W Highway Patrolman....nice weapon also...sold that eventually and like the old saying...wish I'd never done that...today...I would like to have them both back.

TT
  3. Jeepdude90

Jeepdude90 New Member

yea ive been looking around and ive been seeing quiet a few of the old sheriff .38s that they used back in like the 80s at some decent prices.

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yer all nitpickin me these days..;)

In my feeble minds defense though.. Not all the SP101s are 5 shooters... The SP101 in .327 fed mag is a six shooter.. HAH! :D
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats the venerable ol 6" security 6, the little brother of the original Ruger Redhawks.
  6. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

wow nice pics! I carried a s&w in a shoulder rig for years. gotta say it lacked in some areas but ya just cant beat a S&W For being there when ya need it.And nice patch too i still have a few of those around here somewhere.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I LOVE RUGER"S. I suggest an SP101 or GP100 or even an LCR.
  8. Jeepdude90

Jeepdude90 New Member

the local gun shop has a sp101 with a 4 inch barrel. im hoping to find a decent used one. or even a 686 used.

9. Orin

Orin Member

Lotsa metal on those babies! My wife carries a Taurus light weight. I'd trust it in a fight but its no fun at the range. I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 & have for decades. Two guns. Not heavy but good steel & well made. Excellent trigger. Crappy sights but its for close range "haft-toos". Groups well.
    I'm not one for a pistol which takes away from my ability to SA shoot. Never know when you may need to hit your spot at the outside range of the gun & hit sumthin!