gonna buy a used pistol/revolver?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Jay, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Jay

Jay New Member

2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post Jay, very intersting. One thing Ive noticed and at gun shops when people are buying a used firearm (I have a habit of observing), they'll look at the outside and seldom EVER even look down the barrel.
    I took an old rifle in to a shop awhile back to use in on a trade. It was a good rifle and kept clean, but I did go over it again before taking it in. Took it in, the guy looked ober the rifle and not once did he look down/through the barrel....I was almost offened that he didnt as it was a clean as a new one!:(
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

...and on the other hand, I have purchased used guns from a dealer, that I got cheaper because the gun was simply filthy dirty. It could have been cleaned for much less than he took off because it wasn't clean..... or something like that... :cool:
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...yes sir, the one I bought here a while back was in need of a cleaning and I got it for less. The guy was pissed at me for talking him down...go figure!
  5. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Great post thanks!
  6. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

Jay,
    Thanks for the article, very good.
  7. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I agree on dirty guns. I have bought stuff for a very good discount because they were dirty from shooting and the seller was sure it was a piece of junk becuase is failed to fire at times and all it needed was cleaned. also bought many guns cheap because they tried one box of ammo and that ammo jammed or didn't shoot strait. i take the same gun find what ammo it likes and have a reliable tack driver.

America is a throw away society. Some people buy a gun use it a few years and assume it is worth a lot less and get rid of it. there are excellent deals out there, you sometimes have to wait on them though. I like to keep a rat hole of cash back for when I hear the phrase " hey man, I need cash, what will you give me for this?" I love that phrase.
  8. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

To clarify, you have to use common sense regarding who is selling it to you. I am fortunate to have a circle of good ol boys that buy sell and trade with each other. I wouldn't be confortable buying a gun off someone i didn't know that was a price too good to be true.
  9. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

I bought a revolver from a Pawn shop awhile back. I used what experience I had to inspect before buying.The gun had no blueing flaws and the cylinder had no wear.To me it was like new.I just retrieved the gun from my gun cabinet and put it through most of the inspection that you mentioned on the web site.It passed!The notebook size gap in between the cylinder and barrel and all.The gun I bought is awesome.I've handled guns all my life,so what I knew must have gotten me by.Those x-tra little tid bits the web site you metioned will be used in the future of my gun buying.Thanks.