good 10mm auto?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by DK76, Nov 5, 2004.

1. DK76

DK76 New Member

I am wanting to get a 10mm auto. So far I have located three locally. An EEA, Glock 20, and S&W 1006. I ruled out the EEA although it was by far the cheapest ($300). The EEA's fit and finish was just awful as was the trigger and action. I can get a Glock 20 NIB for $550. I think Glocks are good, but I think they are to light in the frame and flip bad. I figure this would be even worse in 10mm. I loved the feel and heft of the S&W 1006. The sights were great also. The 1006 was used, but looked new. I could find nothing wrong with it. The dealer wanted $695 for the 1006. Is that a bit high? Does anyone have any experience with these 10mm autos? Pros and cons?
  2. Cheimison

Cheimison Former Guest

In my experience the Glock 20 is the most fun to shoot and the best to carry. All in all if you want the prettiest Colt Delta Elites are your best bet.
  3. Tom

Tom Member

I have the Glock Model 20, the S&W 1006 and a Colt Delta Elite modified to as a comp gun. If you are interested in shooting the gun, then the Glock and Smith are probably more rugged than the Colt. I had the grip of the Glock modified by Robar, and added adjustable sights. It is a nice gun, but so is the Smith. Your choice will be based on personal preference.
  4. DK76

DK76 New Member

Thanks for the replies. With the 10mm so superior as a defensive pistol round I can't understand why it dosen't have more of a following. There appears to be far more out there for the Glock as far as barrels, parts, etc. so that is what I will probably get. With the recent sunsetting of the assault weapons ban I presume the Glocks will again be coming with hi-cap magazines. Another plus.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The reason the 10mm is not that widespread is that the 45ACP can do everything the 10mm can do with 1/2 the pressure and recoil. Even with heavier bullets. It has also been around for 100 years doing it! :)
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

DK76:

I have a Colt Delta Elite. When I first got it I loaded it up to full loads (not absolute max but full with 200 gr bullets). It was fun to shoot but the recoil was somethihg else. It didn't hurt like a 44Mag but twisted the gun in my hand more than any other gun I have ever shot. It was fun for awhile then I down loaded my ammo after that to what is today's 40 S&W levels. It recoils about like my 45ACP guns with this down loaded ammo and is still fun to shoot.

Seems dumb to buy a 10mm and load it down to 40 S&W except then there was no 40 S&W and I didn't own a 45ACP gun. I still have the option (which I occasionally take) to shoot at full load levels if I want. Can't do that with either the 40 S&W (I have one of those too) or the 45 ACP guns I have.

By the way the Colt is beautifully finished, nicely fit and mine has had a little accurizing done to it (drop in trigger, Group Grabber long recoil guide, fitted barrel bush, adjustable sights). I personally don't like light plastic guns (Glock) and the S&W 10 mm had a time when the S&W quality control in general left something to be desired (new ones are great!)

LDBennett
  7. kravi

kravi New Member

Preach it, my brother!!!!!

--kravi
  8. kravi

kravi New Member

P.S. I just went to the Smith&Wesson website and this was the only pistol (revolver) that they had listed as shooting 10mm. Where is the 1006? Out of service?

--kravi
  9. DK76

DK76 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I do think it has been a while since the 1006 was avaliable new. A buddy of mine knows someone that owns a Glock 20 and he is arranging a meeting so I can shoot the thing. I love the 45 ACP also and have owned many, but I don't think the 45 ACP can safely match the energy levels possible with the 10mm. I was just wanting something new and on paper the 10mm seems to be the most powerful thing you can get in a standard auto.
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Since you so believe that the 10mm is superior, please show us the ballistic charts to prove it. I think you'll find that overall, the 45 ACP is superior overall. Maybe the 45 Super? That should do you. I think you will find the full power 10mm loads a little stiff. If you can't shoot it straight, all the power in the world will do you absolutely no good in a gun fight. Good luck.
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

The 10mm is an excellent round, for practiced shooters, with a large budget!
    For the rest of us, who haven't the time for broken guns (ask the FBI), orthopedic surgeons (also ask the FBI), does it really answer a question?
    The 1911, in the guise and caliber it was originally designed, works ? acceptably? well.
    How dead is dead??? if the guy falls down, etc, isn't that enough? Seems like, to me, we are looking for a "universial soldier" without regard for real world value.
    If one can shoot well, almost any caliber will do; if not, no power level is enough. Bottom line is, burn more powder, shoot more, with less!
  12. kravi

kravi New Member

P.S. Kimber now makes a 10mm 1911 style pistol, the Eclipse Custom II 10mm! Don't know anything about it, but it might be right up your alley. I love kimber guns (I've got a Custom II for .45ACP and I love her).

--kravi
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

stash247:

How many different calibers do you find listed in reloading manuals? Certainly hundreds! Man is never happy unless he is innovating. Is this better than that? Is one kind of dead different than another kind of dead?

Lets not kid ourselves. Almost none of us ever wants to get in the situation where we are forced into gun combat. We own guns because they fascinate us. A new or different cartridge caliber is an opportunity to own still another gun. Why do men climb Mt Everest? Because it is there. Why do men (and women) own 10mm pistols? Because they are there and we can.

Enough talk about 45 ACP being better or worse than 10mm or any other cartridge caliber. As long as they go bang when we want them to, they are all great!

LDBennett
  14. DK76

DK76 New Member

Didn't mean for this to be a 45 vs. 10mm debate. I love the 45 ACP and I feel it is an exceptional personal defense round. I think the 1911 45 ACP is probably the best ever combat/defensive handgun. I've owned a few 1911's and shot scores more. Out of a 5" barrel, with the same weight bullets, and staying within proper specs the 10mm can propel slugs on average 200 fps faster than a 45 ACP. One example-

Hornady 5th edition:
    10mm auto 4" barrel: 180 grain bullet-1250 fps, 200 grain bullet-1150 fps
    45 ACP 5" barrel: 185 grain bullet-1050, 200 grain bullet-1000 fps

The 10mm generates more energy. More recoil also I am sure, but that is always an individual determination. Most often handgun recoil dosen't bother me. Rifles and shotguns is a different story.

Also, I fish and hunt alot in areas frequented by big black bears that show no fear of people. I wanted something light and short that offered better penetrating capabilities than my 45's. Can't argue that a Glock 20 with 15 rounds of 10mm isn't one powerful little package! Oh yeah, I also want a 10mm because I can :)
  15. CBR1000RR

CBR1000RR New Member

I would get me a magnum revolver or a good rifle for those bars ya talkin bout...

if ya must have the 10mm, get a delta elite, with some tough wolf springs for the mags... im told theyre notorious. fun gun to shoot.
    Shoot why dont you get a magnum research 500s&w if you want a big bang..my range buddy just got one, holy crap! is all I gotta say.... :eek: