Good .22lr for under $300

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by GojuBrian, Jan 30, 2009.

1. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

Hi everyone! Nice forum here!

I didn't see this posted here, but I have read lots of good advice. I'm looking to buy a new .22 soon. I'm thinking about a ruger 10/22 or a remington 597.

I like the ruger's because they have so many accessories, but then again that could add up for just one .22 rimfire. I've heard about ejection problems with the remington,but I also read they have remedied that since then.

Any reccomendations, advice or helpful comments are appreciated!

God Bless!

Brian
  2. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I have two Ruger 10/22s and I really like them both. Like you said, you can change and accessorize the 10/22 till the cows come home... and even then you've only hit half the options out there.

I don't have any experience with the Remington, so I can't help you there. I too have heard about problems with the early guns, and I think they are using a different magazine now to fix the issue.
  3. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

[​IMG]

I am happy with my 10/22 I do have a scope on it at this point but the whole package including extra mags, scope mount, scope 3x9 = just under $300 (scope being almost 1/2 of that)
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Marlin Model 60's are hard to beat for the price at around $140.00. There are less after market accessories, but I'd rather have a more accurate .22 rifle than a really cool looking one that shoots poorly. :eek: :D
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

well.. it really depends on what you want to use it for.. if its just for plinking id say go with a 10/22 but if you want a hunting/varmit gun id say either the 597 or the marlin model 60.

a pal of mine has a 597 and its never had a malfunction as far as ive seen.. so they must have fixed whatever problem they had:confused:
  6. ms6852

ms6852 Member

I don't own any semi's but I have read that the 597 are the best value, most accurate gun out of the box for that kind of money.
  7. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

Thanks everyone! Found a new model 597 at the local armory for $147! Now I have money for a scope and a mosin-nagant!! :D
  8. lead

lead Well-Known Member

A 597 and a Mosin! You'll be the guy at the range that goes from "pop---pop" to "boom--boom"!
    Enjoy that new Remington.
  9. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

And so ends another thread with another happy camper. Congratulations on your new guns. I hope you have nice enough weather to get a little range time in.
  10. Bigfoot62

Bigfoot62 New Member

Let us know how you like the 597. I've thought about one myself, but never bought it. I'm "heavily" invested in 10/22's and love them, but I'm always looking for other interesting .22's.
  11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Yes please give us your range report on the 597 :)
  12. Gorillaman

Gorillaman New Member

1000+ on that I have 2 marlin M-60's I payed $330.00 for both. they both shoot great if you keep them clean and lubed...

oops sorry I didnt read the entire post...

err have fun with your remmy..
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  13. yorkiepap

yorkiepap New Member

Hey guys,
    I had a Marlin Mod 60 in SS & fiberglass stock mainly as a utility/all-weather rifle & kept in the truck behind the seat as a "just-in-case". Never fired it, had the original box/paperwork & tags & decided to trade it back in for a Ruger 10-22 standard. My local dealer gave me back 100% of the purchase price with the trade as it was unfired. I wanted to make a utility rifle with a bit more firepower, so, I did a neat conversion.... an MG-42 w/50rd mags. I installed the holographic, 4-illum.reticle rear sight and sighted it in at 50M with 50rds in a 1" group off the bags. The Ruger likes CCI Mini-Mag HP. So, now I have my utility shredder behind the seat w/4-50rd mags. Here's some pics...... Denny

Attached Files:

14. mrofna

mrofna New Member

sweet 10/22 yorkiepap.
    just got mine today.i plan i getting lots of hop ups..

[​IMG]
  15. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

Well, "a friend" of mine finally got around to getting the 597 today,lol.

He went to a local wal mart (big mistake, but the local gunshop has boosted their prices) and picked out the .22. Upon showing them my his drivers license they asked if this was his current address. Because he is an honest fellow he told them no. They said they could not sell him the firearm unless he had a current utilty bill or etc because they need a current address. He told them it wouldn't matter. They told him "the FBI will know!!" Upon hearing their dribble he went to a different wal mart. The same was asked and he said, "yep". All went well and he now has a new mossy oak remington 597 and a 3-9X40 tasco scope to boot! :D

Hopefully I'll, I mean he'll, be able to get to the range this weekend.

WM doesn't sell pistols anymore either do they? It'll only be a matter of time until they quit selling altogether.