Good .22lr for under $300

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by GojuBrian, Jan 30, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

first i want to say to Brian... glad you got a new gun... im wondering how it shoots and if'n you got a scope on her yet.
    second i want to say... ruger 10/22's have every darn thing you can think up to add to them...BUT i'll still outshoot one and all ruger's with my remington targetmaster 41 given one exception.... iron sights. unless i was to (dread the though) drill and tap for a scope on my remington. but nah that'll never happen.
    maybe i'll find a second remington and drill it out for scope mounts. the one i favor has sights on it that are unusual, the rear is what im told are butterfly wing sights (i dont know if this is true now) and the front has had the bead filed away on the sides to make it flat and given a point on the top to make it fine as a needles point.. and man it'll shoot. ~john
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have a buddy that says they still sell pistols in some parts of the country... idk though

~john
  3. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

got to the range

Finally got the 597 out to the range this weekend. It shot great right off the bat. Got good groups at 50 and 75yrd and had no feeding problems.

I put a 3-9X40 scope on her and also got a 30rd mag. Me likey!! :)
  4. Guntoter2

Guntoter2 New Member

I hope your "honest friend" realizes he committed a federal crime by knowingly providing false information to facilitate the purchase of a firearm. It may seem like a minor thing but if the NICS check flags his purchase (for further review) he may find out BATFE has no sense of humor.
  5. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

That you Hillary? :D
  6. Guntoter2

Guntoter2 New Member

Hey, I'm not the one bragging about my friends lying to the feds while claiming they're honest:D!
    Seriously, why do you think we have to jump through the hoops we do to purchase a gun? People thinking the simple rules don't apply to them end up causing the rest of us to suffer under draconian rules and when those don't work there will be harsher ones still.
  7. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I've had 10/22s before but the ones with the traditional wooden stock. This one I picked up about a month ago with a Tapco stock. Pictured with it is my Ruger PC9 9mm. :D

www.gunnerforum.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have been thinking about converting mine, and really like what you have done with this one. Send me some info on how purchase the parts nessary to build one like it. I just joined the RFC, and have been looking at some of the modifications there, and have found a few that I really liked, but yours, so far, is by far more in line with what I want to do with mine. Help me out here!!!
  9. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Hey Brian hope you have a good time with your new 597. Did someone say there is a 30 round magazine for the 597? If so please send info. thanx!
  10. yorkiepap

yorkiepap New Member

Hey carver,
    Here are links to where I got my accessories....stock, site, & 50rd mags.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=180441

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=277919

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=323003

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Magazines/Ruger/Ruger.asp

The MG-42 stock only needs a very light touch-up with a Dremel tool where the trigger guard seats to the stock. Other than that, it goes together in a breeze & fits superbly. I removed both the fr/rr mil. sights to simply have the holographic sight only. The banana mags are Ramline and, so far, have functioned flawlessly. The oval 50rd mag also works flawlessly but takes a bit longer to load. I have (2) ovals and (6) banana mags.....(400rds at hand). Just-in-case............. Denny
  11. B 'n B

B 'n B New Member

How about a Henry?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lever guns are qreat fun and they have that "cowboy" thing going.

Though the wife likes her 10/22

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    different guns fun for different reasons.