Good 5-round group out of a 10/22 carbine at 50 yards?...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ponycar17, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I've been plinking with my 10/22 carbine at 50 yards a while this afternoon and I was wondering what a good non-bench rest group would be. The 10/22 is a carbine with factory thin barrel. The scope is just a Tasco 3-9X40. I'm shooting from a sitting position on the ground and can only get about a 3.5" 5-round group at 50 yards. Am I hopeless or is this really a limitation of the short gun being so unstable along with the thin barrel?...

Discuss...
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Sorry, don't know what kind of group you should be getting.
    But 10/22s are not known for their tack driving accuracy.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are too many variables when shooting any gun unsupported to measure the potential accuracy. Put the gun on a sturdy rest on a sturdy bench and shoot at least five groups of five shots each at 50 yds and average the results.

My Volquartsenized (by me) Ruger 10/22 gets 1/2 inch average groups all day long under those conditions if I do my job. My Anschutz entry level Silohuette based on the Model 64 receiver gets 3/8 inch average groups all day long, if I do my job. That's the potential accuracy for those guns. Your testing measures your ability rather than the gun's. Put that 10/22 on the bench to see how it really shoots. I know from a friends experience that the 10/22 Target Model will shoot with my Volquartsenized 10/22 for accuracy. I expect the Standard models will not come close but you won't know without benching it.

LDBennett
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Pony...I quickly thought the same way Lynn did on this one, from your seated position you'll never know what it is capable of...I know there are some good, strong, Military seated positions, but there will always be a tiny bit of movement. I would move to a bench/sandbags, play with different kinds of ammo, on a calm day, to find what it likes. You should be able to stack them on top of each other @ 50 yards with a scope...Then I would try different offhand positions to see what I was capable of, after concluding that the rifle was good to go.

BTW, I've been going to my bank and asking for those canvas coin bags (they give them to me for free) then I have my sister-in-law to cut them in half long wise and sew them up with beans inside...Makes a really nice, light weight, "sandbag".

Crpdeth
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

As already mentioned, shooting from an unsupported position will tell you nothing about the rifle's capabilities, I use a Caldwell Rock Delux with a rear bag for bench shooting.
    As for the 10/22 carbine, there are so many variables to concider with these rifles. The factory barrels are "usually" marginal at best when it comes to tack driving accuracy, however I do know several folks who have gotten outstanding accuracy from their's. Most of these barrels have loose chambers, and the muzzle crowns aren't the best either. These things can be addressed by several gunsmiths who specialize in 10/22 work.
    Another thing that can effect the accuracy of these rifles is the amount of torque applied to the V block screws that hold the barrel to the reciever, and also the torque applied to screw that holds the action to the stock.
    There's a world of after market parts out there that can make these rifles into dead accurate shooters, but before you spend yourself into debtor's prison, there's a lot of simple improvements you can do yourself, like stoning (polishing) the trigger and hammer, this will lighten up the trigger pull some, remove any trigger creep, and make it break cleaner.

Someone suggested trying different ammo, this tends to be more important with the 10/22 than many other .22 rifles on the market. The 10/22's tend to be very picky with the ammo they like to shoot, some will perform miricles with bargin ammo like Federal American Eagles and CCI Blazer, yet some will demand ammo costing more than twice as much like Eley, SK Standard Plus, or Wolf Match Target. Your particular rifle will decide....

Also Pony, you mentioned using a Tasco 3-9X40mm scope, does your Tasco have an adjustable objective......?
    Most set objective scopes designed for rimfire and airguns have their parallax set at 50 yards, but most designed for center fire rifles have a parallax set for 100 yards, if your tasco has a non adjustable (set) objective, it's my guess that your scope is set for 100 yards. This will give you a parallax error at 50 yards which will also effect accuracy......
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Guys, I appreciate the feedback, but I was really talking about my abilities vs. the gun's... I know that a stock 10/22 is no tack driver, but the accuracy of such rifle is a known by most in the firearms community. Sorry for the miscommunication...
  7. tenbears

tenbears New Member

Do not discouraged, the 10/22 is a good weapon, I am able to make 1 inch groups at 75 yards with open peep sights. The key is matching the ammo with the rifle, but sometimes one will get a bad barrel.

Don't buy bulk ammo for target, use it for plinking.
  8. Skyhook

Skyhook New Member

Really?

I have one of Ruger's 1022Ts and it drives tacks all day long. :D
    I have six of the other various 1022s, some tricked out a bit and I think once a person fixes that horrible Ruger trigger, things tighten up remarkably.;)

BTW, 3.5" group @ 50yds really isn't bad for plinking. I doubt the shooter was doing any serious bullseye. Plinking is a fun thing.

(I'll hazard a beer that the shooter would really tighten up the group by bench resting that rifle.)
  9. Swede

Swede New Member

I'd have to say 3" sitting at 50yds is great. Guys with heavy barreled target rifles that are sand bagged talk about 1" or under. So a standard rifle, sitting, I think is great. ;)