Good 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by thunderstruck507, Mar 15, 2006.

1. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

Kinda interested in some options for a new 9mm

NO GLOCK ALLOWED. I don't care for the look, feel, or mechanics of them.

Any ideas for me to look at?
  2. mhammer3333

mhammer3333 New Member

I don't think you will find a more mechanically sound 9mm than the glock. If your looking for something else you may concider the Beretta 90two. Beautiful gun.
  3. punchie

punchie Member

CZ, SIG, any of the top 1911s chambered in 9mm.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I particularly like the CZ75B series of guns. I think you get the most gun for the least money with CZ's. All metal is forever or almost. Plastic anything has a limited life especially under the duress that the firing of ammunition imparts to any gun. I think the ergonomics of the CZ to be perfect for me (relatively small hands). Anyone wanting a 9mm pistol should be looking at CZ's!

LDBennett
  5. user_error

user_error New Member

If looks, feel and mechanics are your thing, try a beretta 92fs, my first handgun. Great shooting gun, reliable, sexy-smooth action, lots of safety features, easy to break down and learn, etc. And they're just SWEET lookin' ;) If you're not looking to break the bank, taurus is a perfectly good economy gun that I've heard lots about. For about 200 less you can also get a ruger p89, which we got for Dad about a month ago, and he loves it. It's pretty similar to the beretta in mechanics-safety is located in the same spot, about the same size in your hand, etc., except a bit different style. Have fun and take your time! Gun shopping is probably the most fun I have!
  6. Take a close look at the Steyrs, Thunder. Same basic striker-fired action as the Glocks, but a very different feel.
  7. Familyguy

Familyguy New Member

H&K P7...if you find a 'police trade-in' (dept mark ground off of slide), they are pretty reasonably priced. Got mine for a little over seven bills.

Star BM or CZ, too.
  8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I'll cast my vote for the CZ75B. Reliable, accurate, pretty.
  9. thunderstruck507

Forgot to add double action is a plus but not required

My roommate has a berretta and I like it a lot, we tested a Sig 9mm since he has a Sig .45 but something about it was off to me, I just can't place what.

I have a couple uncles with Glocks and I've simply found nothing about them I enjoy.

I liked the feel of the Walther but I've heard nothing but bad things about them.
  10. Familyguy

Familyguy New Member

H&KP7

H&KP7

H&KP7

H&KP7

The -M8 has a normal mag release. If you don't care about that, the PSP (with the euro style release) is also reasonable.

btw, those Sigs are damn fine guns, too.
  11. indynotch50

indynotch50 New Member

How about the ruger p series or the new springfield XDs? Those might be good choices, more people may advise on these options.
  12. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

The 92F isn't bad should be able to ring up a Taurus copy a bit cheaper. There are some nice copies of the old Belgian High Power out there too. Comes down to what you want to spend and what you are looking for in aesthetics and function. There are also some decent deals on surplus Walther P-1 pistols out there; old design, decent mechanically and not everybody and their dog is out there shooting one.

Of course, if I wanted a modern pistola; I would be bothering a Walther dealer for a P-99. That's me. Lilely to get no agreement on my personal tastes.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Good 9mm Pistols is a big order; for what purpose?
    As a Martial pistol, the Hi-Power takes a back seat to no one, but, if you gotta put it in a pocket, it's big!
    The CZ-75 Family approach the Browning grip angle, and dimensions, with a double action trigger.
    A pocket gun deserves the consideration of the Kahr MK-9, heavy, but eats anything, and the Rohrbaugh 9mm, which is the size of a PPK-S, but in 9mm P, no extra pessure loads allowed.
    Pick your poison!
  14. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Thats a hard question to answer. It all depends on you hand preferences and the overall feel of the gun in your hands and rather or not you want a fullsize or a compact. Your best bet is to go to a Gun Store and try them out
  15. thunderstruck507

yeah i know, i was just hoping for some ideas on things to look for
  16. Wideboy04

Wideboy04 New Member

I've got three nines, Taurus PT908, favorite of the bunch. Feels and shoots great, DA/SA. Kahr PM9, conceal carry, shoots very well for a compact, grips are small but fine with finger extension, LDA. Taurus PT 111 PRO, shoots very nice for a compact, feels good in the hands with the full grip, a little chunky for carry but will do, DA. Dollars and Purpose, good luck.

WB
  17. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Walther P99 Beratta 92
  18. tj3006

tj3006 New Member

The two 9mms I like are the browning High power , and the CZ 75b. I Sold my High power to by the CZ beacuse I read an article that quoted several of the top pistol smiths in saying the Browning will faill with a steady diet of +ps. I am not a big fan of the 9 for defence anyway so I want the best loads available...tj3006
  19. denfoote

denfoote New Member

Walther P5

Walther P5

Walther P5

Walther P5

Walther P5

The Walther has the mag release right where it should be: on the heel of the grip!!!

The ONLY Sig worth it's salt is the P6.

:p :p :p :p
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  20. Kahr

Kahr New Member

Kahr T9
    Kahr K9
    Springfield XD Compact
    S&W 5906
    H&K P2000

Have all love all.