1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Good "Air Lite" .38 Revolver?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by deinonychus75, Nov 17, 2004.

1. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Does anyone know of a good "Air Lite" .38 special revolver which would be small and easily concealable for daily carry? I currently have a KelTec P32 which I carry daily, but am looking to add another option to the arsenal. Thanks!

Deon
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Any of the new Ti Smiths are great. I have a 332 Ti Smith purchased before the added "extra safety" (yuck). Its has a hammer, which I have bobbed. Houge finger groove laminated grips. I carry in either a Kramer pocket holster (from Dillon) or a ankle rig from Ken Null. Two speed strips in the off-hand back pocket. This is by far the most often carried piece I have - with me at all times. Very light, you never know its there. With +P's its reasonably effective at reasonable ranges and reasonably controllable. As with most carry pieces, its all about compromise.
  3. Neil

Neil New Member

I have one. Not the Ti but alum with Carbon steel cyl. I replaced it with Hogue Mono grips and tossed it in a Galco ankle holster.......hides very well. it's the 442 model. reasonable price and fun lill' bugger.if you habe Banana hands like me I would recomend Mono grips. bigger.
    Mine weighs in at 15oz. not bad for a .38 spl.
  4. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Thanks - that helps give me some ideas. I had never heard of the 332 before, so I researched it a little. .32 magnum - sounds interesting. The 442 sounds interesting as well. Can it handle +P ammo? Also, while checking out the 332, I came accross another S&W revolver I wasn't aware existed, chambered for .45. Don't remember for sure now but I think it was a model 625. They're available with a 2" barrel. Hmmmmm....lots of things to think about. Guess I'll have to pay a visit to some of the local gun shops and see what's out there. Thanks again!

Deon
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I am going to the gun shop today to pick up my new S&W 625 it has a 4 inch barrel. Can't wait to take it to the range I will more than likely stop there on the way home :D shoot some paper
  6. lead

lead Well-Known Member

My local shop has been carrying the Taurus Ultralite. It is rated for +p ammo, and is about $100 cheaper than the S&W. He says he's sold a few and people like them.
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Here's some info for you:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.co...ontent/00/01/32/32/75/userdirectory50.content

In .38 Spl. +P and .357 Mag. there are a lot of choices:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293600&sw_activeTab=1

If you like a large bore snubbie:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=301459&item=865230&sw_activeTab=1

If that's too expensive for you, and you still want a large bore snubbie, here's a good, small, serviceable, man-stopper:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/bulldog.php
  8. 45Smashemflat

I punched the keys wrong - mine is a .38spl+P gun - maybe its 337(?) Al frame and Ti cylinder and pins. S&W model numbers always mess me it - I just call it a Ti J frame.

The performance center makes a real nice .45ACP snubby with a real short barrel and a Ti cylinder. They are now making a "regular" 45ACP with a Ti cylinder. All look pretty good. I just don't like the extra safety - just one more thing that could go wrong on what should otherwise be a simple mechanism.

358 - Let us know how that new 625 does!!
  9. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Thanks for all the info! Lots of information to check out. :) I stopped by a local gun shop on my home from work tonight and saw a Taurus model 85 Ultralight with a blued finish that I liked. I didn't pick it up and handle it or anything, just looked and checked the price - $250 used. Still looking around and thinking about it though.

Deon
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

.45- it's probably a 337 PD, and it's a lot of power in a 10 oz package!
    My son-in-law is presently trying to swindle me out of mine, as he is a Tx Highway Patrolman, new on the job, and looking for a reliable backup.
    GREAT choice; Gabe will be thrilled when he gets his, for X-mas, I'm sure!
    Terry
  11. 45Smashemflat

I really like mine - had it for ~3 years now. Bought it during the S&W "Clinton Contract"fiasco which drove several dealers around here to drop prices due to severe reduction in demand. Believe it or not, I got it for $309 out the door.
  12. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Any opinions/owners of the Taurus 85 Ultralight? Is the $250 price tag on a used one a good deal, about right or getting screwed? I've never personally owned a Taurus. The dealer told me the main difference between them and S&W other than price is that the action on the Smiths is still smoother than on the Taurus, but other than that the Taurus is a good gun.

Deon
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I have a Taurus .44 Special I bought 5 years ago. Has a 3" barrel and I think it is a great pistol. Pretty smooth for a factory gun, but I went ahead and did a trigger job, myself. Single action it will rival any Smith. Double, it will stack a little harder than a Smith. All in all, a nice piece. I would not hesitate to buy another.
  14. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I've always liked Taurus pistols and have two right now. The only revolver
    is a 44 mag tracker and I really like it. I will be getting a ultralite 38 soon.
    They also have a lifetime warranty.