Good "Air Lite" .38 Revolver?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by deinonychus75, Nov 17, 2004.

1. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Does anyone know of a good "Air Lite" .38 special revolver which would be small and easily concealable for daily carry? I currently have a KelTec P32 which I carry daily, but am looking to add another option to the arsenal. Thanks!

Deon
  2. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Any of the new Ti Smiths are great. I have a 332 Ti Smith purchased before the added "extra safety" (yuck). Its has a hammer, which I have bobbed. Houge finger groove laminated grips. I carry in either a Kramer pocket holster (from Dillon) or a ankle rig from Ken Null. Two speed strips in the off-hand back pocket. This is by far the most often carried piece I have - with me at all times. Very light, you never know its there. With +P's its reasonably effective at reasonable ranges and reasonably controllable. As with most carry pieces, its all about compromise.
  3. Neil

Neil New Member

I have one. Not the Ti but alum with Carbon steel cyl. I replaced it with Hogue Mono grips and tossed it in a Galco ankle holster.......hides very well. it's the 442 model. reasonable price and fun lill' bugger.if you habe Banana hands like me I would recomend Mono grips. bigger.
    Mine weighs in at 15oz. not bad for a .38 spl.
  4. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Thanks - that helps give me some ideas. I had never heard of the 332 before, so I researched it a little. .32 magnum - sounds interesting. The 442 sounds interesting as well. Can it handle +P ammo? Also, while checking out the 332, I came accross another S&W revolver I wasn't aware existed, chambered for .45. Don't remember for sure now but I think it was a model 625. They're available with a 2" barrel. Hmmmmm....lots of things to think about. Guess I'll have to pay a visit to some of the local gun shops and see what's out there. Thanks again!

Deon
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I am going to the gun shop today to pick up my new S&W 625 it has a 4 inch barrel. Can't wait to take it to the range I will more than likely stop there on the way home :D shoot some paper
  6. lead

lead Active Member

My local shop has been carrying the Taurus Ultralite. It is rated for +p ammo, and is about $100 cheaper than the S&W. He says he's sold a few and people like them.
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Here's some info for you:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.co...ontent/00/01/32/32/75/userdirectory50.content

In .38 Spl. +P and .357 Mag. there are a lot of choices:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293600&sw_activeTab=1

If you like a large bore snubbie:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=301459&item=865230&sw_activeTab=1

If that's too expensive for you, and you still want a large bore snubbie, here's a good, small, serviceable, man-stopper:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/bulldog.php
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I punched the keys wrong - mine is a .38spl+P gun - maybe its 337(?) Al frame and Ti cylinder and pins. S&W model numbers always mess me it - I just call it a Ti J frame.

The performance center makes a real nice .45ACP snubby with a real short barrel and a Ti cylinder. They are now making a "regular" 45ACP with a Ti cylinder. All look pretty good. I just don't like the extra safety - just one more thing that could go wrong on what should otherwise be a simple mechanism.

358 - Let us know how that new 625 does!!
  9. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Thanks for all the info! Lots of information to check out. :) I stopped by a local gun shop on my home from work tonight and saw a Taurus model 85 Ultralight with a blued finish that I liked. I didn't pick it up and handle it or anything, just looked and checked the price - $250 used. Still looking around and thinking about it though.

Deon
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

.45- it's probably a 337 PD, and it's a lot of power in a 10 oz package!
    My son-in-law is presently trying to swindle me out of mine, as he is a Tx Highway Patrolman, new on the job, and looking for a reliable backup.
    GREAT choice; Gabe will be thrilled when he gets his, for X-mas, I'm sure!
    Terry
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I really like mine - had it for ~3 years now. Bought it during the S&W "Clinton Contract"fiasco which drove several dealers around here to drop prices due to severe reduction in demand. Believe it or not, I got it for $309 out the door.
  12. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Any opinions/owners of the Taurus 85 Ultralight? Is the $250 price tag on a used one a good deal, about right or getting screwed? I've never personally owned a Taurus. The dealer told me the main difference between them and S&W other than price is that the action on the Smiths is still smoother than on the Taurus, but other than that the Taurus is a good gun.

Deon
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I have a Taurus .44 Special I bought 5 years ago. Has a 3" barrel and I think it is a great pistol. Pretty smooth for a factory gun, but I went ahead and did a trigger job, myself. Single action it will rival any Smith. Double, it will stack a little harder than a Smith. All in all, a nice piece. I would not hesitate to buy another.
  14. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I've always liked Taurus pistols and have two right now. The only revolver
    is a 44 mag tracker and I really like it. I will be getting a ultralite 38 soon.
    They also have a lifetime warranty.